1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Oliver! -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I've got an even worse one. At the West Side Story re-release in about 1967 or so, the management inserted an intermission in the middle of the Rumble! They placed it at the moment Riff is driven back against the fence without his knife. Boom! Intermission! I couldn't believe my eyes!

2. Mark-P

Mark-P Well-Known Member

Mark Probst
    Sorry RAH, "A few words about...™ Oliver!" is now officially the "Interesting Intermission Story" thread! :)

BPullen likes this.
  3. seangood79

seangood79 Well-Known Member

Sean
    My worst intermission story doesn't have one. I once projected a 35mm print of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World and the overture and intermission were missing. It was clear that a previous theater thought all that black film was useless and cut it out.
    This was around 2003, and very few projectionists these days know how to handle an intermission.

4. bgart13

bgart13 Well-Known Member

Ben
    Waiting for someone to post a reason why I -- or others -- should buy this edition instead of the UK one.

graham8z likes this.
  5. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Or it was the general release print that never was supposed to have an overture or intermission...

6. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

Quite right. The bang is supposed to occur offscreen, sometime during the intermission.

7. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

Viewed Oliver! today; have little to add to others' comments. I did notice how much better (at least louder) the music was on the isolated track. The sound was the best I've ever heard this movie, but pretty quiet as others have noted. I just turned up the speakers. I had to jigger the settings on my flatscreen several times. Either the grain looked too vibrant and noisy or the colors would mute too much. I finally watched it in a way that wouldn't annoy me. I don't think there's anything wrong with the disc; I just didn't like the way the movie was coming across on my tv. It looked odd to me. I finally just lowered the sharpness on my tv; the grain was so busy it was making it look like there were bugs crawling around on everyone's faces. That's happened to me on quite a few of these older, grainy films. Usually it isn't a problem, and I'm not saying it will be a problem for anybody else.

I note that the colors look more realistic than they did in the old dvd. The soundtrack pops quite a bit better than that old dvd too, but I think you make the most of the musical numbers with the isolated option.

I liked the interview with Ron Moody. He seems like a very gracious man, appreciative of his part in this film. Haven't seen the rest of the extras as yet.

Some want to know if they should purchase the TT version or get a European release. Hmm. That's entirely up to each of you. I don't see any compelling reason to have the TT version over the cheaper versions which are just as good. If you want to support Twilight's efforts, go ahead and buy it. You'll still be getting a handful of extras you won't get anywhere else. I'd recommend it simply for the isolated score, which was a revelation to me. I've heard that score god knows how many dozens of times, but never better than on this blu.

8. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    The isolated music-and-effects track (wouldn't it be great if someone could find a way to cut the sound effects out of the audio...) sealed the deal for me.