What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Oliver! -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
Yorkshire said:
Actually, I too would like a final confirmation that the TT and UK versions look the same.
I had posted this previously in the earlier Oliver! thread:

In a discussion on Twilight Time's Facebook page, TT posted:
The transfer will be the same [as the UK/German release] (however the authoring will be different) -- we have chapter stops with images on the pop-up menu... and a few extras unique to our release...

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
warnerbro said:
I received the German bluray last summer and just watched the Twilight Time version last night. They look the same except the German version has visuals for the overture and intermission that are the same as were on the DVD. The Twilight Time version has black over the overture and intermission music.
What sort of visuals, exactly?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
While the transfer is most likely the same, the authoring is not. And I think we all know that authoring is very important in how transfers present. I've been told that the region free discs do NOT look as good as the Twilight Time, and I've been told that by people I trust. But, you know, save ten bucks. :)

Reactions: PMF

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
haineshisway said:
While the transfer is most likely the same, the authoring is not. And I think we all know that authoring is very important in how transfers present. I've been told that the region free discs do NOT look as good as the Twilight Time, and I've been told that by people I trust. But, you know, save ten bucks. :)
For me it was more like a savings of $20 as I paid about $12 to import the Italian disc. I'm sure the authoring differences are minimal and I seriously doubt that I could tell the difference.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
haineshisway said:
Oliver! on Blu-ray in the UK would cost me £8. From TT, with import costs, etc, it'd be maybe £40. That's not $10. That's £32 which is over $50. I seem to remember that previous imports from TT have cost £35 + about £10 for the postage if I wanted it delivery guarenteed.

Oliver! is not one of my favourite films, but it's a good film. If it were in my Top 10 I might go for the TT version (Sexy Beast is in my Top 10 and I imported despite already having the UK Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD versions), but I can't really justify that much extra for a film that's not in my Top 100.

Ultimately, whilst the discs may look a little different, I'm not hearing anything so far indicating a substantial difference. Saying the UK version does NOT look as good may be true. But just be putting NOT in capitals doesn't make the difference particularly large.

I'll still wait for further information, discussion, etc.

Steve W

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
Yorkshire said:
Oliver! on Blu-ray in the UK would cost me £8. From TT, with import costs, etc, it'd be maybe £40. That's not $10. That's £32 which is over $50. I seem to remember that previous imports from TT have cost £35 + about £10 for the postage if I wanted it delivery guarenteed.
Without the excessive 'insurance' charges TT release cost around 25GBP delivered.

I have never paid the extra, and all my TT release have arrived safely. There would never be any import costs, because of Screen Archives' customs declarations.

Regarding the authoring, I got the impression that the TT FB post was referring to the disc menu structure rather than any encoding differences betwen the the two versions. There are many more audio tracks and subtitle options on the UK disc, so it could affect compression, but it is a 50GB disc so should there should be ample room.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
BJQ1972 said:
Without the excessive 'insurance' charges TT release cost around 25GBP delivered.

I have never paid the extra, and all my TT release have arrived safely. There would never be any import costs, because of Screen Archives' customs declarations.

Regarding the authoring, I got the impression that the TT FB post was referring to the disc menu structure rather than any encoding differences betwen the the two versions. There are many more audio tracks and subtitle options on the UK disc, so it could affect compression, but it is a 50GB disc so should there should be ample room.
I see where you're coming from, but I was just trying to get a level playing field.

If I order Oliver! from Amazon UK and it doesn't arrive, they send me another. It's only fair to compare the price of a TT release with exactly the same guarantee.

I too have never had a TT release go missing. But then again it was a long time before I ever had an Amazon order go missing, and I order from them a lot.

Even at a flat rate of £25 that's a £17 difference, which by today's exchange rate is knocking on for $30, not $10.

All I'm trying to say is that ordering this from TT will cost me a great deal more than $10 extra.

Back to the authoring - can anyone comment on how often Sony UK have fowled up a Blu-ray Disc?

Steve W

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I'm considering buying the UK version. Is the booklet that comes with TT's version worth the almost $20 more I'd have to spend?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
warnerbro said:
I received the German bluray last summer and just watched the Twilight Time version last night. They look the same except the German version has visuals for the overture and intermission that are the same as were on the DVD. The Twilight Time version has black over the overture and intermission music.
And as it should be. Black over the Overture and Intermission.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
And as it should be. Black over the Overture and Intermission.
I don't see why it should be like that, it's not like that in the cinema. You get lit-up curtains, that's what I'd like to see, & the curtains open on a black screen just before the film starts for that cinema experience.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Billy Batson said:
I don't see why it should be like that, it's not like that in the cinema. You get lit-up curtains, that's what I'd like to see, & the curtains open on a black screen just before the film starts for that cinema experience.
Well considering my home theatre screen is right at 10' across with curtains in front and lights in front of curtains that dim, I prefer the black scree while the overture, Entr'acte, and exorcist music play. When it not black and has a visual as Warner always does, I have to cover the lens until each is over.

Reactions: PMF

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I think it's nice that releases should keep these bits in, but surely in the cinema people went to get a second bag of popcorn when there was an intermission.

Serious question here - do people actually sit and listen to the intermission music as part of the film? If so, my understanding is that most (if not all) Blu-ray Discs with an intermission only run it for a couple of minutes instead of the 15 or 20 it would have had originally.

Surely that's a far greater difference than whether or not there's a title card up, isn't it?

Steve W

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
ahollis said:
Well considering my home theatre screen is right at 10' across with curtains in front and lights in front of curtains that dim, I prefer the black scree while the overture, Entr'acte, and exorcist music play. When it not black and has a visual as Warner always does, I have to cover the lens until each is over.
Okay, ahollis is starting to scare me now.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
TT has a few additonal extras: Isolated score/effects, and sing alongs/dance instructions/dance&sing alongs. I have no idea what these sing alongs etc are.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Yorkshire said:
I think it's nice that releases should keep these bits in, but surely in the cinema people went to get a second bag of popcorn when there was an intermission.

Serious question here - do people actually sit and listen to the intermission music as part of the film? If so, my understanding is that most (if not all) Blu-ray Discs with an intermission only run it for a couple of minutes instead of the 15 or 20 it would have had originally.

Surely that's a far greater difference than whether or not there's a title card up, isn't it?

Steve W
I never skip over the intermission music. It puts me in the proper mood for the second half of the film, just as it did in theatres. And theatres never had 15 or 20 minutes worth of music during the break. The music heard on BluRay discs started just a few minutes before resuming the film as a way to settle the audience down for the second act.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks