What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Nicholas and Alexandra -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
This may be a random bump, but I just recently finished reading Robert K. Massie's book, and didn't even realize until I finished it that a film was made based on it. I ordered the blu and I'm very much looking forward to viewing it. From everything I've read over the last few days it had a VERY troubled production, but seems to have quite of bit of positive buzz around it, and a Best Picture Oscar nomination to boot. I'm a fan of other historical epics from the late 60's/early 70's and an enthusiast on Russian history in general, so I hope I'm in for a treat. And I like that the running time is listed as 189 minutes!
Richard V said:
Agreed, the best on screen Rasputin I've seen. He steals every scene he is in.
Good to hear! Just from reading Massie's book, I got chills whenever Rasputin came up. I don't know how old the info is, but apparently Leo DiCaprio is going to be playing Rasputin in an upcoming film. Not sure how that would turn out...

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I could see DiCaprio as Rasputin. Mainly because I only buy DiCaprio's performances when he is playing mentally challenged, disturbed, or outright crazy people. He's like the anti-Tom Hanks. I can't buy DiCaprio as an everyman, and I can't buy Hanks as anything but.

I just ordered this BD, during the Twilight Time sale. Can't wait to give it a watch.

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
Watched this recently. Great film and I was gripped to the end. Better than Dr Zhivago in my opinion.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Was on TCM last month the book was excellent! Bizarre how one man changed the course of a nation and history...Rasputin was the personification of evil!
And his predictions to the Czarina about his death and what would follow were tragic as well as eerie for the whole world...

Always remember the first time I heard his name in the Stones song " Sympathy for the Devil" ..

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Nicholas and Alexandra is part of TT's current sale—and well worth picking up.

Freddie Young (Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, etc.) was the cinematographer, and he captured some impressive imagery, as usual.

Very good film all ways around.

Last edited:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Nicholas and Alexandra is part of TT's current sale—and well worth picking up.

Freddie Young (Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, etc.) was the cinematographer, and he captured some impressive imagery, as usual.

Very good film all ways around.

Is there a sale now?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks, guys. I managed to flog 7 titles out of the list. It was tough because I already had about 4 of the best titles; so I had to look for some I wouldn't normally have gone for. Still, 7 for $70 is close to the price of 2 titles at regular price, so I had to go for it. N &A was one of the titles I bought.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Thanks, guys. I managed to flog 7 titles out of the list. It was tough because I already had about 4 of the best titles; so I had to look for some I wouldn't normally have gone for. Still, 7 for $70 is close to the price of 2 titles at regular price, so I had to go for it. N &A was one of the titles I bought.

Congrats! If I may ask, what else did you get? I've now picked up almost every one of the sale titles.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Congrats! If I may ask, what else did you get? I've now picked up almost every one of the sale titles.
Certainly:

Pony Soldier
Cover Girl
Love is a Many-Splendored Thing
Violent Saturday
Nicholas & Alexandria
Bonjour Tristesse
The Way We Were

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks