What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ My Cousin Vinny -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
How you ever noticed that while there may be humorous scenes set in courtrooms -- think Cary Grant and Irene Dunne and Asta in The Awful Truth -- there are few legal comedies? And yes, Asta was previously seen in The Thin Man.

Director Jonathan Lynn's My Cousin Vinny is an example of the form that works, dropping "fish out of water" New Yorkers Pesci and Tomei into a murder trial in the deep south, with towering Fred Gwynne as judge.

My Cousin Vinny is a delightful film that has stood the test of time, and is just a funny today as it was in 1992. The performances are classic.

Fox's Blu-ray rendition serves the film well. This is a very good looking, problem-free Blu-ray.

For those who haven't yet sampled its charms, you're in for a treat.

Recommended.

RAH
Edited by Robert Harris - 8/3/2009 at 12:20 pm GMT

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

For those who haven't yet sampled its charms, you're in for a treat.
That would be me then. :) Good thing the disc is already on it's way to me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Robert Harris I haven't seen it in a long time, and even though Marisa Tomei won an Oscar, I remember Gwynne most fondly.

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
True story - I'm from NY, my wife is from Arkansas, and when we saw this in the theater, she whispered "what?" to me at the "yutes" line, and in unison with Vinny, I whispered back "youTHs." Some of those North-South differences aren't so exaggerated...

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I expect Vinny to be in my home on Tuesday. One of my all time favorite comedy/courtroom films.

Another one of my favorite court room comedy capers is: From the Hip. It's almost as funny as Vinny. Stars Judd Nelson, Darren McGavin, John Hurt, and Ray Walston (as one of the Judges.)

It's not on BD yet, but I DVR'd it when it was on one of the HD movie channels a few years back. It is also available on SD DVD.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I love this movie. The only reason I don't already own it is because it is on so often on TV. However, I don't subscribe to any HD movie channels, so I will be happy to add this to the collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks