What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Music & Lyrics -- in BD & HD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Whether one selects red or blu, Music & Lyrics is a beautiful high definition disc. This is a sweet date flick with enough character and cute brought to the project by it's two leads to not only get it made, but to make 96 minutes pass as though it was only 90.

Hugh Grant, a washed up former pop star, and Drew Barrymore, a part time plant care engineer meet cute and proceed to make beautiful music (and lyrics) together. The big question, and the reason to watch the film is to find out if they eventually end up together. Along the way, the film is as I noted, cute.

Warner does a very nice job with less than challenging images, which play like cotton candy on the screen. It's clean, easy on the eyes and low in caloric intake.

Music & Lyrics is a delightful trifle, and while well worth the hour and a half to ingest, isn't quite in the range of any of the many great romantic comedies of the 1930s or '40s. Think Holiday, The Philadelphia Story, or Bringing Up Baby. Music & Lyrics isn't nearly in their class, but on the other hand doesn't need to be.

Did I note that it's cute?

Recommended as superior fluff.

RAH

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
:laugh:

Yes, I use that excuse too, in one form or another. But I must admit: like you, I often enjoy it a lot.

(The last two weeks, there were 2 new BBC versions of Jane Austen movies on the telly - actually three, but Mansfield Park wasn't a very good version - and perhaps it's my age making me more sentimental lately, but I really liked it.)

Cees

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
My ex-wife would have made me watch it with her. :D....Thankfully, she remains my ex-wife and I still enjoyed Music & Lyrics.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:)

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
OK - here's the thing. I made my wife watch it. And I was the one who ended up liking it. Her - not so much.

I feel like I should chug a beer, watch a ball game, and fart bare-assed on the couch right now! :)

Agreed that it isn't near the quality of Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, or any of the screwball comedies of the 30's or 40's, but it was very enjoyable.

Cheers,

Jason

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
My copy came from Amazon yesterday. I loaned it to my mom with the stipulation that she watch it and give it back to me today. I got Rio Bravo too yesterday so......I didn't go hungry. I'll hear the lyrics and music tonight.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I really enjoyed the film. If you remember 80's music and the age of videos there's many giggles. It's the kind of pretty HD that many folks wanna see.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A list price at $40 (HD) and $35 (BD) does seem a bit steep for "cute."

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I've gotten this movie recommended to me now on 3 separate occasions (and RAH is the third)... all by guys!

Loved The Wedding Singer with all the 80's references, so this is a no-brainer. I had no idea it out in HD DVD/BD so I'm thrilled to see RAH's recommendation here... now I know to pick up the BD rather than the DVD copy I would have just assumed was the only way.

thanks!

dave :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Amazon charged me $23.95 for it. I was at Busted Buy yesterday looking at their hideous retail prices wondering if these studios just want the new formats to fail. Prices over $30 at retail are just gonna drive customers away in droves, IMO. I would not even considered the disc at $35-$40.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just finished watching the HD DVD. Robert is dead on....this is a beautifully looking HD transfer. Outstanding. Has a good balance of being sharp without looking edgy. Colors were well saturated....Excellent job Warner!

BTW, it's also an excellent film. Really, really like this one. One of the better entries for 2007.

If you like cute romantic comedies with really great performances, go grab the HD DVD or Blu-ray version of Music & Lyrics. :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It arrived today at my door! Will see it tomorrow. Wife Factor seems even higher than the bitrate. :)

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
We liked it a lot.
Great PQ, without any visible problem, audio was very good.

Drew Barrymore's part was the more difficult one (and partly over the top), and I was surprised how well she did most of it. Hugh Grant was simply his usual great - and many excellent one-liners and stabs at the eighties' pop culture helped making it a lot of fun.

That girl playing the Britney-type Cora Corman was really remarkable. Never saw her before. Haley Bennett, I'm sure we'll see/hear more from her.

Cees

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I've been humming this all day....

"all I wanna do is find a way back into love..."
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:D God Help Us!

Agree on Haley Bennett, she was terrific. (and hot ;))

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Watched the BR with the wife last night and she enjoyed it quite a lot. Been tempted to do the motorcycle move in the elevator. :D The picture and sound are definitely quite good in this movie. However, what's with Drew's face? She looks like a ghost most of the time with all that makeup.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I thought it was exaggerated make-up at that Cora Corman party.

But now you mention it, a few scenes later she still had some of it. Wait a minute: wasn't that because they left the party immediately to go for that second verse they had to produce within 12 hours?

Cees

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

So this HD disc is affected by PAL speed-up like those French Studio Canal releases? Shame on you, Warner! I demand an immediate recall! :)

Seriously, thanks for your views on this film Mr. Harris, and others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks