What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ MI: Ghost Protocol-- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I finally found the time to screen this this evening. I had a friend viewing with me. He's 70, and was jumping around like a 6 year-old, during the action sequences. I presume he get himself thrown out of theatres.

IMHO, the best of the series. Beautifully produced in every way. And when you realize that it's been directed by Brad Bird, who, AFAIK, has only directed computer generated actors in the past...

Technically, this is an interesting production.

Shot on film by Robert Elswit, via both Panavision and Arri, 35/4, with additional photography in IMAX with Hasselblad lenses, as well as Iwerks 8/70. While I missed this one theatrically, you can get an actual visceral feel for what was shot large format.

What really got my attention during this screening though, was the audio.

Full discreet 7.1, which was absolutely amazing. When I saw Gary Rydstrom's credit at the end, I understood why.

Ghost Protocol, to my ears, is the finest 7.1 that I've yet heard on Blu-ray.

Reference quality?

Absolutely. You have to hear it on a great system to believe it.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
This is Brad Bird's first live action film, but his animation credits go back before computers.
One of his earliest credits (though uncredited) was as an animator on The Fox and the Hound. He wrote and directed the animated Amazing Stories episode titled The Family Dog. His first feature film was The Iron Giant, a traditional animated film that is now considered a family classic. Of course his break out was The Incredibles. Having seen that film, I had no doubt that he would make a fine live action director. He seems to have proven that with Ghost Protocol
Doug

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Saw this at one of those posh bistro-type moviehouses where the presentation was ok, food slightly better, and the seats were exquisite.

Looking forward to viewing the Blu-ray in my home theater, where the seats are ok, food slightly better, and the presentation exquisite (good thing my wife doesn't read these forums)...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez /t/319938/a-few-words-about-mi-ghost-protocol-in-blu-ray#post_3915062
Saw this at one of those posh bistro-type moviehouses where the presentation was ok, food slightly better, and the seats were exquisite.

Looking forward to viewing the Blu-ray in my home theater, where the seats are ok, food slightly better, and the presentation exquisite (good thing my wife doesn't read these forums)...
Please keep in mind that this is one of a handful of films where the 7.1 discreet tracks stand out as something special.

RAH

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/319938/a-few-words-about-mi-ghost-protocol-in-blu-ray#post_3915070
Please keep in mind that this is one of a handful of films where the 7.1 discreet tracks stand out as something special.

RAH
Gary Rydstrom is a member of the Holy Trinity of Sound as far as I'm concerned, along with Walter Murch and Ben Burtt. I cannot wait to properly hear Mr. Rydstrom's work on MI: Ghost Protocol.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez /t/319938/a-few-words-about-mi-ghost-protocol-in-blu-ray#post_3915075
Gary Rydstrom is a member of the Holy Trinity of Sound as far as I'm concerned, along with Walter Murch and Ben Burtt. I cannot wait to properly hear Mr. Rydstrom's work on MI: Ghost Protocol.
I'd make it a quartet with Skywalker Sound's redoubtable Randy Thom...

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I enjoyed this at the theater, and it's the first of the series I've seen. I'm sure I could enjoy it again, and these comments about the 7.1 might just be the right kick in the pants...

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I viewed this feature theatrically at an IMAX presentation and as impressive as the exterior sequences were visually (think Dubai) the audio experience was exceptional. Bass hounds are going to love this BD release. There were sequences in the film that simply crush the viewer. For me, the last theatrical audio experience that might hold a candle to MI: Ghost Protocol was Inception.
I had some (minor) issues with the film's story line but this will be a fun revisit.
- Walter.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I saw this at the theater and enjoyed it ...will definitely check out the BD.

John Stockton

Second Unit
Robert Harris said:
Reference quality?
Absolutely.  You have to hear it on a great system to believe it.
Just out of curiosity, can you tell us what kind of speakers and Amps do you have ??

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm going to bet this title will even sound great on my meager little system.

This, too, was one of my favorite films of 2011. Brad Bird did a terrific job.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by John Stockton /t/319938/a-few-words-about-mi-ghost-protocol-in-blu-ray#post_3916035
Just out of curiosity, can you tell us what kind of speakers and Amps do you have ??
Currently running Blu-rays through an Oppo 93 via HDMI into an Anthem Statement D2v, with audio going to a Lexicon 7 channel amp, and video directly to a JVC 65.

Speakers are all Bowers & Wilkins 800 series. Center channel is an HTM 1, Left and Right are 802s, Surrounds are 803s (four of them), and the sub is DB 1. I'm a huge fan of B&W products, with a long time allegiance toward speakers produced in the UK. For those who may not be aware of B&W, they produce speakers for almost all price ranges. To place these particular units in perspective, the center weighs in at 205 pounds, with the left and right each at 176 pounds.

RAH

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/319938/a-few-words-about-mi-ghost-protocol-in-blu-ray#post_3916109
Currently running Blu-rays through an Oppo 93 via HDMI into an Anthem Statement D2v, with audio going to a Lexicon 7 channel amp, and video directly to a JVC 65.

Speakers are all Bowers & Wilkins 800 series. Center channel is an HTM 1, Left and Right are 802s, Surrounds are 803s (four of them), and the sub is DB 1. I'm a huge fan of B&W products, with a long time allegiance toward speakers produced in the UK. For those who may not be aware of B&W, they produce speakers for almost all price ranges. To place these particular units in perspective, the center weighs in at 205 pounds, with the left and right each at 176 pounds.

RAH
You're making me extremely envious, Robert...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/319938/a-few-words-about-mi-ghost-protocol-in-blu-ray#post_3916159
You're making me extremely envious, Robert...
No need for envy. The smaller B&Ws are superb.

RAH

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Those B&W 800 series are sweet sounding speakers. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford them and went with the B&W CM8s to replace my Mirage M5si speakers. The CM8 speakers are no slouch, just not quite to the level of the 800 series. I'd still like to get the timbre matched 3-way B&W centre to replace my MIrage center, but, unfortunately, I have to spend money on necessary house repairs, so no audio toys this year........maybe. :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by sdabney /t/319938/a-few-words-about-mi-ghost-protocol-in-blu-ray#post_3916331
robert, are there any other blueray multidisk players out there besides sony. i cant get my sony to display a description of the movie or its rating even though it gets the name, actor genre. sony says thats all it does. so disapointing.
Sorry. Question above my pay grade.

I use a single disc Oppo.

And a dial phone.

RAH

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
All this talk of 7.1 on this disc (one of my favorite movies of last year) may force me to buy those two rears I'm missing.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I finally cracked and ordered the Oppo 93. Wish it would get here already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks