What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Mary Shelley's Frankenstein -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A number of years ago, while visiting one of my favorite haunts (no pun intended for those aware), I had a beautiful first edition placed in my hands of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein: or, The Modern Prometheus. This was a magnificent original 1818 set, and while I would have loved to have owned it, after checking all pockets, found that the investment was a bit beyond me.

There is currently a lovely example of the book, in three volumes, available here:

http://www.peterharringtonbooks.com/stock_48561.asp

After versions too numerous to note, with the classic Universal 1931 Karloff at the top of the list, and an intervening half a century, came a most unusual retelling of the tale as directed by Kenneth Branagh and with Robert De Niro in the title role of "the monster." This is not the usual grunting pieced together monster of yore. Mr. De Niro's monster is aware in many respects of who (and why) he is, and how others will react to him.

Among the multitude of Frankenstein productions, this is worthy of one's time.

Columbia has issued a new Blu-ray, and the result is (as usual) stunning. Proper grain structure, shadow detail, black levels, all in place.

An interesting side note. Ms. Shelly wrote Frankenstein at the age of nineteen.

Recommended.

RAH

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
One of my faves, including Doyle's score, arriving tomorrow.

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
The movie is available on Blu Ray as a box set from Columbia at Walmart for about $45.00. The other two movies are DRACULA and WOLF.

-Claude

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
One of my favorite novels, I'm not sure if I had read it prior to seeing Branagh's treatment. All I remember is the rather brutal violence, but then I was quite young and impressionable at the time. :)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
One of my favorite novels too. So much more thought provoking and poignant than any film version has captured. Although Branagh's comes the closest. Might have to check out this Blu.

Dan M

Second Unit
I personally never quite understood all the negative criticism of this film. It does stay true to the novel more than any other film albeit some dramatic license was taken.

Alot of the negative criticism stems from the frenetic pacing with heavy doses of constant stedicam and swooping shots. I personally agree with the pacing and Branaugh's direction as it reflects the eagerness and fanatical drive of a man bent on cheating death and creating life.

I'm glad this has been returned to it's cinematic aspect ratio and now in high def. The score is epic and beautifully done for this classic gothic masterpiece.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Dan M /forum/thread/294723/a-few-words-about-mary-shelley-s-frankenstein-in-blu-ray#post_3627382

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks