What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Love is a Many-Splendored Thing -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Harris said:
Serious question.

When was the last time you had your projector professionally calibrated?

RAH
About two years ago, but I fail to see what point you're making. If my projector is so poorly set up that it makes this BRD look bad, then logically it should make all BRD's look bad. And it doesn't. I suggest the calibration of my projector is a red herring.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robin9 said:
The first two occasions I saw Love Is a Many Splendored Thing were on the big screen in re-run theaters. Unfortunately that was so long ago that I really can't remember exactly how individual shots looked. I certainly don't recall being jolted by a sudden deterioration in picture quality at the end of the movie. Watching this BRD I was jolted by the sudden drop in quality.

I'm not qualified to argue about this technically and my memory is shaky . . . but it doesn't look right to me.
Mr. Harris has explained perfectly. The close-ups are in front of a rear projection screen. This transfer is not from "sub-optimal" elements - where do you get that from? This transfer is, in fact, superb. None of us know what you're seeing or how much you know about film, opticals, mattes, and rear projection, but if you think this looks off, I'd have to say you need to do some reading about film. Not trying to be snotty, but to compare this to an Olive transfer is pointless. This is what Love Is a Many-Splendored thing should look like. The End. Why on earth would anyone say anything negative about this transfer (of which you are a lone voice here) when there's simply nothing negative to say? It's a perfect transfer.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
By whom? Come on, let's get this out on the table.
Why? It's not my purpose to create conflict and ill-feeling between different posters. Naming names would do just that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
Why? It's not my purpose to create conflict and ill-feeling between different posters. Naming names would do just that.
Well, I think it's clear you have a problem with certain posters about their negative Olive comments while praising TT releases with little criticism. It's not hard to distinguish which posters they are. To be fair, I have seen the complete opposite from other posters too so that sword cuts both ways.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
haineshisway said:
Mr. Harris has explained perfectly. The close-ups are in front of a rear projection screen. This transfer is not from "sub-optimal" elements - where do you get that from? This transfer is, in fact, superb. None of us know what you're seeing or how much you know about film, opticals, mattes, and rear projection, but if you think this looks off, I'd have to say you need to do some reading about film. Not trying to be snotty, but to compare this to an Olive transfer is pointless. This is what Love Is a Many-Splendored thing should look like. The End. Why on earth would anyone say anything negative about this transfer (of which you are a lone voice here) when there's simply nothing negative to say? It's a perfect transfer.
I heard a split-of-a-split-second audio drop-out around 24:22. Otherwise, a stunning transfer...as sweet to listen to as it was gorgeous* to watch.

* Ooooooh...that classic Shamroy lighting. I'm sure you could have placed a lightmeter in any corner of those sets and taken a spot-on reading.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
ROclockCK said:
I heard a split-of-a-split-second audio drop-out around 24:22. Otherwise, a stunning transfer...as sweet to listen to as it was gorgeous* to watch.

* Ooooooh...that classic Shamroy lighting. I'm sure you could have placed a lightmeter in any corner of those sets and taken a spot-on reading.
I heard the same drop-out. But oh, what a glorious transfer! And I did see it several times in the early sixties coupled with An Affair to Remember. Double-hankie time...

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
bujaki said:
I heard the same drop-out. But oh, what a glorious transfer! And I did see it several times in the early sixties coupled with An Affair to Remember. Double-hankie time...
Oh my god, I would have been a blubbering mess by the end of that night. I have to trot out my DVD of Love is... every few months to be reminded how adult filmmakers used to depict adult love affairs on screen and find myself starting to well up the moment those letters and Holden's voice-over of them begin to come in. The breaking point in the dam is Jones' pitch perfect handling of those final moments at the hill; the "sight" of him there again, her smile, the tears, the wave, Holden's voice, the music, it is all almost unbearably emotional. Even for a big, brave, manly stud like me... ;)

I ordered the Blu-ray the moment I read these reviews.

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
ROclockCK said:

Is the dropout still there with the trick of switching from Bitstream to PCM output, or vice versa, on your Blu-Ray player?

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
BJQ1972 said:
Is the dropout still there with the trick of switching from Bitstream to PCM output, or vice versa, on your Blu-Ray player?
I never analyzed it that closely nor did anything special while watching this disc then or since...just straight HDMI output from my PS3. For one thing, it really is that brief, and occurs at the tail-end of an ambient music cue before either of the characters begin speaking again...sort of like a split-split second of dead space. Interestingly, it's not on the isolated track at all so I would guess it was just an incidental sound element added during the final mixdown which maybe lost a couple of frames during the transfer? Anyone know for certain what might have caused something like this?

In any case, I was so engrossed in the movie that this minor audio drop amounted to nothing very significant in the larger viewing context.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
haineshisway said:
it would be if indeed teal coloured Type-Writers existed, teal Coloured lamps, Teal coloured nurses uniforms , Teal Sky , even the bonnett of the car is teal

is the disc colour timing on the blu ray disc the same as the Teal coloured caps on Bluray.com?

Fox's "wild River" had a decidedly Teal Cast , I always thought Lee Remick had Blue eyes

But what would I know

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=59335&position=21

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
willyTass said:
it would be if indeed teal coloured Type-Writers existed, teal Coloured lamps, Teal coloured nurses uniforms , Teal Sky , even the bonnett of the car is teal

is the disc colour timing on the blu ray disc the same as the Teal coloured caps on Bluray.com?

Fox's "wild River" had a decidedly Teal Cast , I always thought Lee Remick had Blue eyes

But what would I know

I can tell you what I think you don't know but you won't like it :) I think you simply don't know how to judge color from films of this era - if you did you would know how perfect the color is. Personally, for me, this teal mantra has gotten very tiresome - it's trotted out anytime there's blue in a transfer. Well, films from the 50s had plenty of blue, sorry. But why are you even discussing a transfer you obviously haven't even seen? If you want to judge lousy screen caps from that site, that's fine, but no one's going to really engage in conversation with you about screen caps. You've heard from at least two people in this thread, both of whom know whereof they speak about color from this era - myself and Mr. Harris - and we've both said the same thing - perfect color. You are certainly most welcome to judge based on screen caps and think what you will.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
that wasn't the question

the question was : is what you see in your disc of Love is a many splendoured thing , the same as what the sceencaps show

ie : is Michael Holdens typewriter TEAL

then check your 35mm print and please tell us if the typewrihter was TEAL there as well

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com.au/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

should her dress , the ocean and the forest all be Teal ? How does this qualify as a perfect transfer? I love the detail in this transfer but the colour seems off...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=69545&position=19

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
ROclockCK said:
I never analyzed it that closely nor did anything special while watching this disc then or since...just straight HDMI output from my PS3. For one thing, it really is that brief, and occurs at the tail-end of an ambient music cue before either of the characters begin speaking again...sort of like a split-split second of dead space.
Actually I think there is a missing word from the beginning of a sentence cut off by the audio hole in the track. I'd guess 1/2 to 3/4 second hole.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
willyTass said:
that wasn't the question

the question was : is what you see in your disc of Love is a many splendoured thing , the same as what the sceencaps show

then check your 35mm print and please tell us if the typewrihter was TEAL there as well
Looking at those screenshots, William Holden's typewriter is three distinct shades of blue.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
willyTass said:

But what would I know

You're mixing apples and late 5248 emulsion batches.

Wild River has some rather interesting dye fade. LiaMST does not.

RAH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
willyTass said:
that wasn't the question

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com.au/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

should her dress , the ocean and the forest all be Teal ? How does this qualify as a perfect transfer? I love the detail in this transfer but the colour seems off...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=69545&position=19
What wasn't the question. I am telling you again, I don't look at screen caps - what I watch and what is on screen caps rarely have anything to do with each other, therefore it is a pointless conversation until you actually see the disc. You need to learn about gels, lighting, and color of that era. Others have responded above, too, and if you read those posts you will hopefully find your answers. Pete, who also knows whereof he speaks, even speaks to the screen caps and differs with your assessment. Stop looking at useless caps and get the disc - I don't know one single person who has been disappointed in any way, shape, or form with the color on this disc. Why? Because it is EXACTLY right. That's really the end of the discussion, IMO. :)

willyTass

Supporting Actor
excuse my ignorance as i lack the technical prowess of others here

its just that on my copies of
Remastered The terminator
The great Escape
Wild river (all Fox)

what im seeing on my ISF calibrated Kuro (the Teal tint) mimics exactly the teal tint on Bd.com screencaps. And the teal push didnt exist on the DVD versions

I didnt want to waste another 30 bucks to get another Teal Ray release, hence i asked you if your disc's colour scheme matched the screencaps

There are many threads on many forums of people complaining of a teal tint to catalogue titles > They suggest this teal push never existed until recently

And ive just noted another recent Fox release , "bus stop" with Marilyn Monroe on the Beaver has this Teal push

But its not on Hello Dolly , The Sound of music , The robe . So Ill assume its not an error and thats the way films of this era/emulsion looked .

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Oh my, it's the teal-gate scandal again. All these titles look great to me (sceencaps or actual discs), but hey I remember VHS and Laserdisc transfers from the 1980s and 90s that had some of the most horrendous color you could imagine. I either can't see the "teal push" or just don't care because it's so subtle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks