1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lost - Season 1 -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    One of the interesting things about popping a Blu-ray disc into a player and viewing the image on screen is that one doesn't always know what's going to appear. We can surmise, hope and assume -- potentially the most dangerous -- but we don't know until we see an actual image.

Seasons 3 and 4 of Lost on Blu-ray are exquisite releases -- everything that they can and should be. But on occasional a post facility will change. A tech will be replaced. And... well, stranger things have happened.

Which is precisely why, while waiting for Lost S1 to load, that I hoped for the best.

Fortunately, the gods of Blu-ray have prevailed again, and those who gave us the second and third seasons appear to be still in place, as Season 1 is, in a word -- Perfect - all 1000 plus minutes of it.

Everything that was done properly on the previous two releases has remained in place. Color, blacks, and the overall tonalities of the island and its surrounding areas are back in absolutely brilliant Blu-ray detail.

I've said it before, but it's always worth repeating. Lost is one of those series that will go down in broadcast history for its frustrating, undeniably confusing brilliance -- that somehow all works.

Going back four years -- meeting the characters once again, and being able to see the show grew, was shaped and found its bearings, is a total treat.

Lost - Season 1 is terrific entertainment.

Disney includes a $20 rebate for those who already own the show on standard definition, bringing the final cost down to $29 at Amazon. Amazon also sweetens the deal with an additional discount at checkout of $10 per season if you purchase at least two seasons.

The end result is that if one already owns Seasons 1 and 2 on standard definition, the cost is $98 for both seasons on Blu, with $40 back from Disney. That brings the cost to $58, and then another $20 from Amazon.

Final cost by my math...

$38 for both seasons, before selling your old standard definition sets.

I call that a deal.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

2. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that it's up to the level of the S3 and S4 sets.

Thanks for the review, RAH!

3. Ray H

Ray H Well-Known Member

Ray
    Sounds great. I'm still on the fence about picking up the Blu-ray though. I own the four seasons on SD. I popped in the first disc of season 1 and it actually looks rather good upconverted. Still, the Amazon deal is pretty tempting. It's $160 for all 4 seasons on Blu. With that added info from Robert about the rebate, that'll knock it down to $120. Unfortunately, I missed my chance with the S4 rebate (which expired last month and would have knocked it down another $20).

Hard decisions. [​IMG]

4. Virgoan

Virgoan Well-Known Member

Ron Pulliam

Mr. Harris: Do you know the particulars of what proof Disney asks for for those who own the SD DVDs? Is it a UPC code to be mailed in?

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris

ID tab or UPC, along with receipt or copy of receipt and original rebate form, which comes with discs. Purchase window is one year beginning 6/16/09.

6. Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr Well-Known Member

Just a clarification on the rebate... I'm pretty sure the form states a $20 rebate on either 'LOST' Season 1 OR Season 2, so you can't double up. $20 is certainly better than nothing, considering Disney doesn't owe anybody anything for upgrading, but I didn't want anyone to be disappointed either.

7. sestamuch

sestamuch Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info on that one.

8. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I've been waiting for these so I can start from the beginning again before the final season airs.

9. ParulLochan

ParulLochan New Member

One of the interesting things about popping a Blu-ray disc into
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Well-Known Member

Lou Sytsma
    Is the store receipt a requirement? I no longer have mine. [​IMG]

11. JovitaMoorti

JovitaMoorti New Member

One of the interesting things about popping a Blu-ray
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

When my review surfaces in a few days, I'll reiterate this, but you only need the receipt from the purchase of the NEW Blu-ray sets, not your original receipts from the DVD purchases.

13. Tino

Tino Premium
    Supporter

Valentino
    amazon discount isn't working ?

14. rvanward

rvanward Member

Amazon discount not working for me either

15. Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr Well-Known Member

16. Tino

Tino Premium
    Supporter

Valentino
    code is lostblus

thanks craig

17. DavidJ

DavidJ Premium
    Supporter

David

Me too. I think it'll help to have a better idea of how everything ties together. I have forgotten too many things from the early seasons.

18. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Well-Known Member

I purchased season 1 and 2 on blu-ray on Amazon and got 30 off. I wonder if that's because I've purchased season 3 a long time ago on there. Almost got hoodwinked as my original order (made eons ago) did not have the discount. I was going to pay $98 before I replaced the order!

19. ATimson

ATimson Well-Known Member

Their discounts can get wonky when you have an order for an included item and add another later. I ended up getting $60 off of all four seasons ($20 off of my order for 1/2; $40 off of 3/4--$20 for those two, and $20 for 1/2 because they didn't have the offer when I first preordered). I figure the extra makes up for S3's higher list price. [​IMG]