What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
AdrianTurner said:
The story of the music in Lawrence is fairly well documented and I apologise if it's already been done in this epic thread. Briefly, it goes like this. Spiegel wanted music and he also wanted musical presitige: if Beethoven was alive he would have been offered the job. The offer went initially to Sir Malcolm Arnold who had scored Kwai. Sir Malcolm showed up at a screening room with Sir William Walton who had scored Hamlet and Richard III. Apparently both men were slightly drunk and laughed at the endless procession of camels crossing the desert. Ann Coates told me that were 'laughing and nudging each other like schoolboys.'
Spiegel then went global: Khachaturian could write the exotic Oriental music and Benjamin Britten could write stuff for the limeys. Apparently Khactaturian wasn't able to leave Mother Russia and Britten was too expensive.
Thus Maurice Jarre entered the frame and wrote his stuff in a considerable rush. Apart from the fairly conventional symphonic main theme, the score was contemporary, tonal, experimental, more in tune with his work for directors such as Alain Resnais and Georges Franju.
Still insisting that someone with a knighthood should get his name on the movie, Spiegel employed the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, thus giving the film the seal of Royal approval. The band's principal conductor was Sir Adrian Boult who really couldn't conduct and watch a screen and hit precise timings with any skill. So Jarre waved the baton throughout the show but Boult's illustrious name survived.
Movies really are all about happy accidents as well as bad crashes.
Didn't Richard Rogers also take a 'stab' at Lawrence?

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Costco Alert:
Saw a stack of them today with the books. Looked like a mistake, but I tossed carefully placed one in my cart. Priced $56.99. It is indeed a beautiful thing, as others have said.
They wouldn't let me leave with it though. "Come back Tuesday." I can't wait.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I just realized I haven't watched the Lean/Coward Criterion set yet from earlier in the year. That should be a good warm up to this set!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by nealg /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/60#post_3999123
Costco Alert:
Saw a stack of them today with the books. Looked like a mistake, but I tossed carefully placed one in my cart. Priced $56.99. It is indeed a beautiful thing, as others have said.
They wouldn't let me leave with it though. "Come back Tuesday." I can't wait.

Damn!

I'm a little surprised they're carrying it, given their extremely cut back selection.
And what a great price! I think I'll ask at my store if they're going to absolutely, positively, have it out on Tuesday. Thanks for the heads up, Neal.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Costco's monthly magazine has Lawrence (and Hitchcock) featured in one of the ads touting future releases. All stores should have them.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Damin J Toell /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/60#post_3998740
I am dusting off my HTF account after nearly 5 years of dormancy to congratulate RAH. Although my set hasn't shipped yet, of course, I take RAH at his word that this will be a home run. Just as Young & co. welcomed him into LAWRENCE all those years ago, Mr. Harris has been welcomed as a part of my life many times through his contributions, both in film itself, as well as through his willingness to participate in the public discussion thereof. I presume the same is true for many, many other people.
Once the set arrives and I take yet another journey with LAWRENCE, I will raise a drink to RAH. Bravo, sir.

Mr. Toell,

Wondered whatever became of you. Nice to see you back.

RAH

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Robert Harris said:
Mr. Toell,
Wondered whatever became of you.  Nice to see you back.
RAH
Thanks! Real life happened, and it has only been for the best (work, marriage, etc.). I've been a silent observer in the interim, but hopefully I can slice out a sliver of time to participate once again.

Cinemark

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Congradulations RAH, you're a Godsend for films. Looking forward to getting the box set next week.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
At the risk of getting excoriated here,
I've had Lawrence since pre-ordering from the UK.
If I had to use one word to describe the look it would 'luminous'.
Absolutely stunning in every way.
While the audio is surprisingly good for it's age, I was left wondering what the Lawrence Experience would be a newly recorded soundtrack?
I'm not, repeat not, suggesting that it should be changed in any way shape or form, just recorded to modern standards using the original score.
I absolutely understand that it would ruin it for a good many of people it's just that the film is so beautiful visually.
Ok, my flame suit and underwear are on.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Douglas_H /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/60#post_3999465
At the risk of getting excoriated here,
I've had Lawrence since pre-ordering from the UK.
If I had to use one word to describe the look it would 'luminous'.
Absolutely stunning in every way.
While the audio is surprisingly good for it's age, I was left wondering what the Lawrence Experience would be a newly recorded soundtrack?
I'm not, repeat not, suggesting that it should be changed in any way shape or form, just recorded to modern standards using the original score.
I absolutely understand that it would ruin it for a good many of people it's just that the film is so beautiful visually.
Ok, my flame suit and underwear are on.
Please don't spend a great time wondering, as there is no original score.

RAH

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Of course not:)
"there is no original score."
I guess that settles that then.
honestly, the score sounds far better than most considering it's age and does not detract from the experience.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Paul Rossen /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/60#post_3999098
Didn't Richard Rogers also take a 'stab' at Lawrence?

According to the book (which is well-written and much more than a pretty decoration), Richard Rodgers was Spiegel's first choice, but whatever Rodgers came up with was not at all what Spiegel had in mind. When Jarre played his proposed theme music for Spiegel on the piano, the producer realized he had found his composer.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Douglas_H /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/90#post_3999491
Of course not:)
"there is no original score."
I guess that settles that then.
honestly, the score sounds far better than most considering it's age and does not detract from the experience.
Considering the elements, the audio is far better than it might be.

Please keep in mind the following:

1. Multiple audio tracks are recorded as separate elements, music, effects, Foley, dialogue, etc.

2. Multiple layers are then pre-recorded to lessen the number of roll of mag to a manageable number.

These are the stems.

3. The stems then go through a final mix, creating the original 4-track mag.

4. The 4-track is then copied to create a print master, from which mag prints will be sounded. This was our prime element, which means that we began with a fourth generation element. Nothing preceding this survived, with the exception of 3, which would not play.

5. The 4-track print master was copied to a 4-track full-coat as a dub.

6. A new 6-track master was created from which all modern audio elements were made.

It is this 6-track which was digitized as the basis of the digital version.

Which means that what you're hearing is based upon a fifth generation analogue copy.

The original tracks were that good.

RAH

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
For fifth-generation mastering/mixing sources, the audio for this blu-ray is nothing short of miraculous, as impressive in its own way as the visual restoration...kudos to the people at Chace for doing such a first-class job with the proper dedication as a labor of love, Robert!!!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Ralph Potts at AVS Forum reported "minute instances of banding visible in the daytime sky". I don't want to believe this even if it is minor. Could he be seeing the vertical striping in the negative?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by schtan /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/90#post_3999579
Ralph Potts at AVS Forum reported "minute instances of banding visible in the daytime sky". I don't want to believe this even if it is minor. Could he be seeing the vertical striping in the negative?
He could. Been there for fifty years.

We wet-gated. Solved 50% of the problem.

Mr. Crisp digitized, solved 75% of the problem.

Since the majority of the shots entail extremely fine background definition, going to the sep masters, could negate detail.

This is one of those damed if you do, damned it you don't situations.

I'm with Mr. Crisp.

RAH

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The big box set is $ 50 today only at Deep Discount dot com . It Is the deal of the day.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Garysb said:
The big box set is $ 50 today only at Deep Discount dot com . It Is the deal of the day.
Thanks! I've had a preorder at Amazon since June, but a $20 savings is too hard to pass up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks