1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kingdom of Heaven -- in BD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    When Ridley Scott creates a world on film, you know that you're in for a treat.

In the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven, a work that seemed less than stellar in theatrical release, took on an entirely new life.

When released as a beautiful SD transfer, I personally couldn't wait to see what Fox would do with this in high defintion.

Now in BD, Kingdom of Heaven is everything that I hoped it would be.

Miraculously beautiful, and a perfect work of compression and authoring, Kingdom of Heaven is one of the highest ranking members of my Best DVD List of 2006.

Home theater of this quality would have been unimaginable a decade ago.

Kingdom of Heaven in BD is Extremely Highly Recommended. My praise of this disc could only be higher if Fox had included the myriad of extras on their recent SD special edition.

RAH

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    From the moment I popped in this disk and the menu was playing, I knew that the presentation would be phenomenal and yes, the DC brings a new life to this film. A must have for me.

3. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I watched this a couple weekends ago and have to agree it looked stellar. There was a scene where I thought I saw mosquito noise and then realized it was sand blowing!

It was the first Blu-Ray I watched, so now I'm afraid I've set the bar high for the rest. Devil Wears Prada is my next planned Blu viewing, which I hear does not disappoint as well.

As far as the film, I found I liked it more after I thought about it for a couple days. I never saw the theatrical cut, or I suspect I may have appreciated the DC even more.

Now if we could only get some more Scott on Blu.....Alien would be VERY nice.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

Indeed. Which is why I used a $10 coupon and picked up the SD special edition after watching the Blu-ray Disc. So now I have a 5-disc special edition in both SD and HD! [​IMG]

Thanks for the review!

- Steve

5. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

sounds great!
    Should arrive from netflix today. PS3 should also arrive today, but this IS UPS we're talking about...

6. DavidDTS

DavidDTS Agent

Mr. Harris- any idea why Fox left out the Overture and Intermission that was on the 4-disc standard version?

7. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Sounds Yummy!
    Happy Holidays, Mr. Harris.

8. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I'd love to hear an official answer. If I had to guess it's because that intermission was created specifically for the DC DVD set and never appeared in theaters. Since the movie is all on one disc for Blu-Ray they probably deemed it unnecessary. At about 3h10m, I'm not sure they'd really need it. I never felt like I needed a break.

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    So I take it the BD is the DC?

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It is the director's cut!

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Cool! I'll pick it up. Plus, Eva Green in HD...yummy!

12. ppltd

ppltd Producer

I picked up this release myself, and while I did not like the theatrical release of this movie much I had more mope for the BD release's Director's Cut.

I had been led to believe that this was to be a show piece release from Fox, but only a trailer as a bonus feature makes it a bit of a dissapointment. What a waste of all that data space.

13. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

They may have actually needed most of the space for the movie. Most of the Fox BD's are MPEG2 @ 18Mbps, or in some cases AVC @ 18 Mbps. Since KoH is MPEG2 @ 24Mbps, along with it being on of their longest BD titles, and I would guess they used most of the disk's capacity on the feature.

If that's what it takes to get the kind of PQ KoH has, great. But this could have been an awesome 2-disc BD set.

14. greg.shoemaker

Let me get this straight: The Director's Cut DVD has an overture, intermission and entr'acte. The Director's Cut Blu-ray has none of the above. So it is not the director's cut. Why is it promoted as such? I purchased the Blu-ray edition, thinking, as a consumer of the DVD release, that it would be the same version, only mastered for Blu-ray. It does state "Directors' Cut,” doesn't it? False advertising. Law suit? I am being facetious here, but obviously when it comes to easily consumable visual media, an anything goes attitude exists in the minds of the studios releasing this product. Give me a break. I am tired of spending my hard earned dollars only to learn that a DVD/Blu-ray release of a title, with advertising text emblazoned on the front of the keepcase indicating director's cut or special edition, is not indicative of what a buyer is actually purchasing! Witness the 1776 DVD debacle. So caveat emptor. In 2012? Greg

15. willyTass

willyTass Second Unit

Greg, Amazon Italy has the Roadshow version of KIngdom of Heaven BLU RAY -- there its called Le Crociate released by Medusa video (do not get the italian Blu ray released by fox !!) Its an AVC encode and looks better in motion than the US blu ray (mpeg 2) The Italian Blu Ray was released a few months back and has the overture, intermission and entr'acte. Screencaps can be seen at caps-a-holic