What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kill Bill: Volumes 1 & 2 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Because there are black and white scenes in some versions of the movie and not others. Seems relevant to me

Doug

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

I'm used to it and I have a thick skin, I don't have any problems dealing with criticism of my reviews, no matter how personal or inane. If I didn't I wouldnt want any part of this but in some ways its amusing and it comes with the territory.

What I do have trouble with is the libelous posts about industry insiders (not just Mr. Harris!) by those hiding behind screen names that has penetrated AVS. Also that your screengrabs are being used by people with agendas that are far from wanting the format to succeed and are taken out of context and without consideration of what something looks like in motion, and without consideration for the whole look to a transfer that cannot be boiled down to a single frame. And finally that civil discourse has given way to shouting matches and lynch mobs. I want no part of that in my enjoyment of this hobby.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That makes sense to me. Thanks for that quote (and other tidbits), MatS.

Now, I don't feel like I need to hold back on picking this set up, especially since I never bought the DVDs. ;) :D

_Man_

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I would like to have a proper link/interview from QT about this, since this particular quote (from the reviewer) doesn´t have any proper links... Sure, his comments could be 100% the "truth" etc, but since there are no links...

But yes (and again), we would need BOTH versions of these...

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I could be wrong about this, but I could've sworn that aside from the Asian version of the "Crazy 88" sequence being in color vs. black-and-white, the Asian version also has a few additional shots of gory mayhem in there. I'll have to check my copy of the Japanese version again against my copy of the U.S. release to be sure, but I remember there being some bits in the color sequence that are missing from the black-and-white version.

Plus, Sophie Fatale's fate is toned down considerably and the anime sequence also has some juicy bits removed compared to the Asian releases.

Vincent

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to rewatch the anime sequence(can't remember), but the Crazy 88 scene does have extra "gore" scenes. Pretty neat.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Some screencaps there (text in German, though). It´s quite hard to "ignore" the Japanese/Asian-version ("Vol.1", I mean), since those screencaps alone tells plenty about that version (IMO: It kicks ass! ;) ).

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
The Japanese version is pretty kick-ass, if only for "GIVE ME YOUR OTHER ARM!!".

As such, I wasn't gonna touch the US theatrical editions on BD with a barge pole - ESPECIALLY with The Whole Bloody Affair waiting in the wings too - but Mr Harris' glowing assessment has once again made me click on the 'buy' button. Damn.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
Am I too understand that Mr. Harris no longer goes to AVS forum? If not then that is a shame because I find it to be a very useful place. I personally do not post there (I don't have the time to post in two forums) but the information available is astounding. I've been saved a pretty penny because Xylon and others and wished I had read other threads and avoided some purchases I regret.

A lot of people have rightly taken issue with numerous releases this last year. I look at U-571 and cringe. The DTheater was exceptional. The HD-DVD was not quite as exceptional, having been filtered, but still nice. The Blu-Ray release was very poor, having clearly been further degrained and filtered. The differences in all three is clear as day. The BD was a massive step down.

Pointing that out is not complaining over nothing. It's completely legit to talk about these things. Same with DARK CITY, which has numerous problems. The list goes on.

In regards to KILL BILL, I have them recorded on DVHS, as do others and know that the masters are good. So I have sat back and patiently waited for confirmation that the BD releases will be superb. Now I know. They are and I can walk to Best Buy this week and pick them up without worry.

With other upcoming releases I will hope for the best. I'm not trying to find something wrong with these releases. I'm hoping they are all grand because I love film and I want to see my setup shine.

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks