1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kick-Ass -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Once in a while I put off seeing a film for lack of interest. I'd seen the Kick-Ass promos on television, and decided that I didn't need to see yet another kid's adventure film, even without Brendan Fraser.

And that was how it stood. For months.

All had been well until I got a call from my son, who had just left an Academy screening of Kick-Ass, and called telling me that it one of the most entertaining films he'd ever seen. And Nicolas Cage was once again, terrific.

Right.

When a friend dropped by this evening, and I announced that we were going to watch Kick-Ass...

The film had our full attention at the opening.

Twenty minutes in, we were both hooked, and realized that this was in no way a kid's film.

Director Matthew Vaughn has taken a group of talented pros and mixed them with young actors -- Aaron Johnson, who may be recalled from The Illusionist, and 12 year-old Chloe Moretz - (500) Days of Summer, who, unless my mind is playing tricks on me, is nothing like my friends younger sisters when I was in my teens.

One of the great things about this film, is that not being a studio production, it retained the freedom needed to make what ended up being a terrific piece of entertainment. Had decisions been made in concert with 20 studio execs...

A suggestion to those who have not seen previously seen the film: Viewing with no prior knowledge, as I did, is definitely the right move. The less information the better.

Let me put it simply.

Kick-Ass is superior entertainment, and one of the most purely entertaining films that I've seen in the past decade.

Terrific film. Beautiful Blu-ray presentation. And the DTS Master Audio works wonders.

Kick-Ass if Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Glad you loved it too! There's definitely a Kick-Ass booster club around these parts. It's easy to make a profane, brutally violent action movie. It's much more difficult to do so with strongly defined but protagonists, a terrific supporting cast with plenty of stand out moments, while shifting seemingly effortlessly between emotions and genres at a rapid fire pace.

I also agree about the presentation. Ben Davis's cinematography bucks the modern trend toward harsh overly processed images, with highly saturated but otherwise naturalistic colors in well lit spaces with smooth, professional dolly work.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    As I stated in the review thread, so far this year, Kick-Ass is my favorite film of 2010.

Crawdaddy

4. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam

I'd have to agree.

5. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Same here, easily my favorite film of the year. Fantastic in every way.

7. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Loved it. Rented it b/c of the same reasons you mentioned and wound up buying it and seeing it again. There's been some discussion about the look of the Blu-ray, black levels nudged toward blue, etc., but I thought it was pretty clear the look was designed that way and effective. Any additional thoughts on the visual quality?

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I also noticed the blue hues in the blacks during certain scenes. Also, during some scenes the bottom of the screen is blurred a bit, not as sharp as the rest of the image. Again, this is only at certain scenes in the film.

There are also, at least two that I noticed right off, blatant movie mistakes, there so obvious I'm surprised they made it to the film cut.

9. Yumbo

Yumbo Screenwriter

10. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Quote:

This was an interesting effect, which I presume was to possibly give it a bit of a comic book ink look. On films of the '50s, the look would identify a faded yellow dye layer.

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

This was nothing but a distraction to me, it didn't add to the enjoyment or, look and feel of the film but rather took from it.

12. EricW

EricW Screenwriter

i've no problem with over-saturated colors and blu-ish blacks, but there is some seriously inconsistent black levels in this movie. the annoying thing is it changes form shot to shot, which i find very distracting. if it's consistent, it's not as bad.

otherwise a very enjoyable movie. :)

13. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

While I'm not yet ready to go back and analyze the black levels shot by shot, there is one scene that was interesting to me in its use of disparate black levels within a scene: when Frank is in his car and spots "Kick-Ass" walking into an alley, the black levels were completely different for the shots inside the car and for those looking out into the outside world. I guess like the extreme shifts in tone, profanity and over-the-top violence, I just went with it.

14. Adam Lenhardt

Don't forget that this was an independent movie with $100 million set pieces made on a $28 million budget. They probably didn't have the money or time to match everything perfectly. You can only do so much in the digital intermediate.

15. John_S

John_S Stunt Coordinator

Wow, thanks everyone. I'd ignored this completely due to a couple of prominent reviews-- but with several posters I've come to respect recommending it on this thread I gave it a shot and loved it!

16. Adam Lenhardt

Just rewatched this tonight after upgrading my BD-60's firmware to version 2.5 and it loaded MUCH faster.

17. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Just watched this for the first time and I just wanted to say:

Now that's how you do a #$@#$@#%# original comic book movie!

Tied for my favorite movie of the year (Inception).

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

You guys are thisclose to making me pull the trigger on this film...

19. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I've watched it 6 times since it streeted a couple of weeks ago Mike, it's a fantastic film.

20. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I finally watched this (bought the BD back around the time it was released, and it sat on the shelf since). I was a little apprehensive about the Hit Girl stuff. Anyway. . . Holy crap, this is a great movie. It's the best movie I've seen, period, since The Dark Knight (and I don't normally care for superhero movies). No joke -- the entertainment level is through the roof. Mike, if you haven't bought it yet. . .it's one of the best blind buys I've ever made. I just wish I'd watched it sooner!