What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Juno -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Juno is a film that's very difficult not to like. Budgeted at around 7.5 million dollars, it has earned over 220 million -- enough to possibly put it in profits.

I found it to be one of the best films of 2007, and Fox Home Video has released it on Blu-Ray in a gorgeous incarnation that does the film proud. This is a very film-like BD disc, as it should be as derived from data files.

included as extras with the Blu-Ray version of the film are a selection of commentaries, screen tests, a blooper or "gag" reel and featurettes that would be unimaginable outside of a major production, inclusive of some that really aren't necessary, such as a "gag" scene, which comes off as a bit of a waste of film and a cast and crew music video.

You'll recall Ellen Page, who plays Juno, as the slightly kooky, yet lovably off-balance teen from Hard Candy (2005). In Juno, she joins one of a small group of actors and has an entire film built around her. Juno, without Page would be unimaginable, as she's in virtually every shot. The supporting cast is equal in quality, but ultimately replaceable by other actors.

Page is not.

Juno is an honest film -- a delightful romp about teen pregnancy, family and relationships. The screenplay by newly anointed Academy Award winner Diablo Cody is crisp and clean, with sharp, cutting dialogue, especially when spoken by Page. One can't be certain whether Page one of those constantly "up" people, or simply has half a dozen expresso makers in her trailer.

This isn't a bad thing, as watching her work, I have recurring thoughts of some of the finest actresses who turned in fast-paced performances in the great screwball comedies of the late 1930s and early '40s, ie. Irene Dunne, Katharine Hepburn and Rosalind Russell.

This places her in very high end company.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert,

Saw this film about two weeks ago when it was release to Blu-ray.

After watching it, I was on such a mental "high" that I wanted to
post something in this area. I am so happy that you finally did
because I would not have been able to express my thoughts as eloquently
as you just did.

I was very happy to see someone else express that this was the
best film they had seen all year. After all, the film did get nominated
for Best Picture, and rightfully so. It is the best "feel good" movie
to come along since Little Miss Sunshine.

I also wondered about the true person behind Ellen Page. Could this
talented young actress be as vibrant and funny behind the camera as
in front? I think after you watch some of the outtakes and interview
material that question will be answered.

Page's character reminds me of the perfect High School girlfriend who
wasn't beautiful nor popular, but had that personality that made her
cooler and more attractive than anyone else. She reminds me of someone
that I dated at that age.

This girl is the "real thing" and I suspect we will be seeing a lot more of
her in years to come.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I know what you mean, but I do not think there are many actors who could have done what Michael Cera did with his character. His underplayed delivery of the line "I try really hard, actually" is a highlight of the film, revealing of character while being both touching and hilarious. He was 18 years old when he filmed the movie, but he is a rare teen actor who rather than drawing attention to himself, tends to make other actors in a scene with him better.

Regards,

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I agree. Much more so with Page, but Cera also did a superb job.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.

Heh, you make Hard Candy sound like a heartwarming family tale. I wouldn't call ANY of the characters in that film "lovable".

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I just saw this movie on BD tonight. Excellent movie. It really did deserve its nominations. I had the BD for 1-2 weeks but was not rushing to see it. I had seen and enjoyed “Knocked Up” and said to myself, it must be pretty much the same thing but in a nicer manner, a politically correct version. I was wrong. This movie turned out completely different and I say it has more guts and it’s more daring than Knocked Up: The Unrated Version!
I’m especially referring to the ending. I didn’t find the ending a happy ending. Knocked Up has the happy ending, but somehow Juno makes you feel better.
food for thought!

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
A good if not great film indeed. My wife and I saw this at the theater when it first came out, we loved it. Just picked up the BD have not given it a spin yet as their is just too many films on my plate at one time.
Thanks Robert for the recommendation on the Bd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks