1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Joanna (UK Release) -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    The British Film Institute has put their money where their heart is, and continues to release films that should be seen, but will not be released on Blu-ray by large publishers.

Such is the case with Michael Sarne's Joanna, which I first saw at a screening at Fox in New York in 1968. It's a quirky, mod film of the era that, while a bit odd, has character and charm. Part of that charm comes from Joanna herself, played by former model Genevieve Waite. When she's on screen the picture sparkles. To me, at first glance, I felt that I was seeing a cross between Lucille Ball and Rainbeaux (Cheryl) Smith.

Photographed by Walter Lassally (Tom Jones), and with the poetic music of the era by Rod McKuen, the film is unique in many ways. The final musical number, breaking the fourth wall at a railway station, is a hoot.

The image appears to be derived from a print or low-con, and has occasional wear, but nothing problematic. The audio likewise, sounds to be from an optical source, but one can never be certain.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 3/5

Recommended.

RAH

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I bet you feel like a kid in a candy store, being able to buy/watch Region B.I was going to add this to the Region B thread(I like to do themes, and spinning this with others is tough)...but happy you covered it.

3. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Well-Known Member

Nick
    Insanely obscure releases are more common from the BFI. Returns don't matter as much, their service to film preservation is a bit more lofty than other labels. Text from the BFI Royal Charter:

The public provide £20m every year in funding, something I'm more than happy to do!

4. Ignatius

Ignatius Well-Known Member

Hayden Frost
    The second-to-last page of the accompanying booklet should say exactly which elements were used for both image and audio, along with how they were transferred. Glad you finally have the opportunity to dip into some of the BFI Flipside releases, they're the ones I look forward to more than almost anything else these days.