What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jaws -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
haineshisway said:
why anyone would need to watch this 1975 film in 7.1 is something I'll never understand.
I liked the 7.1, personally. Not so much for things like panning sound effects around, but just for the feeling of space it provides. Ultimately, I am pleased that Universal gave us a choice. To each his own.
On another subject, I found the featrurette on the restoration interesting, albeit very short. I would love to be able to watch the whole film from the raw negative files. That little snippet they show is fascinating. Reminded me of the revival houses I frequented in the late 70s, early 80s, because more often than not those prints were well-used and showed it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
bryan4999 said:
I liked the 7.1, personally. Not so much for things like panning sound effects around, but just for the feeling of space it provides. Ultimately, I am pleased that Universal gave us a choice. To each his own.
Assuming it's available, I listen to the original mix because it sounds 'right' to me after years of hearing it. However, I will listen to a remix in at least a few scenes to give it a try and some are pretty impressive. Like I said though, I almost always go with the original mix

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
TravisR said:
Assuming it's available, I listen to the original mix because it sounds 'right' to me after years of hearing it. However, I will listen to a remix in at least a few scenes to give it a try and some are pretty impressive. Like I said though, I almost always go with the original mix
I agree for the most part, although I do think the musicals originally released in mono benefit from stereo upgrade (GYPSY comes to mind). As for regular movies, I do like NORTH BY NORTHWEST in stereo, because Mr. Herrman's music is so dynamic. That being said, I do think the original track should always be included, which Warners in particular has not been doing, such as the recent SINGIN IN THE RAIN.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by bryan4999 /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/180#post_3963111
I agree for the most part, although I do think the musicals originally released in mono benefit from stereo upgrade (GYPSY comes to mind). As for regular movies, I do like NORTH BY NORTHWEST in stereo, because Mr. Herrman's music is so dynamic. That being said, I do think the original track should always be included, which Warners in particular has not been doing, such as the recent SINGIN IN THE RAIN.
AFAIK, Gypsy was originally stereo.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Robert Harris said:
Wow, I had no idea. The first laserdisc of GYPSY was mono, so I assumed that was the original. It wasn't stereo on home vid until the remastered laserdisc in the late 1990s, which, again, I assumed wrongly was a remix. Thanks for the info!

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Robert Harris said:
I never heard of a stereo print in the wild, have you? But it makes sense that it was recorded in stereo. It was produced in Technirama at Warners at the same time that The Music Man was. The Music Man had a terrific 4 track magnetic soundtrack.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
bryan4999 said:
I might be more accepting of the 7.1 mix had they not replaced so much of the foley. I hate hearing modern gunshot FX in a '70s film, for one thing. And they really downplayed the "chaos" of the mix during the big climax. When the boat is beginning to capsize, the loud "churning" of the water has been replaced by a rather soothing "lapping" sound. Then Bruce smashes through the glass and it sounds like someone dropped their champagne cocktail. haha I think it might be interesting to hear the original stems opened up and separated...but when they start throwing all new sound FX in, it just doesn't sound like Jaws anymore. I had the same problem with Psycho's 5.1 mix.
I can see why some would prefer the 7.1, but to me, it just sounds nothing like Jaws. When a movie wins the Oscar for Best Sound, I don't really understand changing every other foley effect. If it ain't broke....

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So I'm confused. The materials I've read have stated that the 7.1 mix was sourced from the original Mono. But the Foley effects still match the 5.1 mixes on the DVD releases?
If that's the case, is the new 7.1 mix no better than the 5.1 mixes on the DVDs with the replaced sound effects? (as in "I don't care how "good" it sounds if the redone sounds effects are still present?)
Does the effect of when Brody hits the tank sound like a ricocheting bullet, or shattering glass?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
rsmithjr said:
I never heard of a stereo print in the wild, have you? But it makes sense that it was recorded in stereo. It was produced in Technirama at Warners at the same time that The Music Man was. The Music Man had a terrific 4 track magnetic soundtrack.
The first run of Gypsy in Hollywood was absolutely stereo and GREAT stereo at that.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I can't find a copy of the Best Buy exclusive DigiBook edition anywhere in my area! I understand they sold out all their pre-ordered in-store copies to regular customers coming through the door.
"You went to Best Buy?"
"What happened?"
"Best Buy Corporate slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief..."

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by TonyD /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/210#post_3963439
"is it safe?"

The code breakers are working on it, we should have an answer later tonight.

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
I hadn't seen Jaws since I was a very young buck. Watching it on blu-ray was like seeing it for the first time.
Bravo, Universal :tu:

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Oblivion138 said:
I might be more accepting of the 7.1 mix had they not replaced so much of the foley. I hate hearing modern gunshot FX in a '70s film, for one thing. And they really downplayed the "chaos" of the mix during the big climax. When the boat is beginning to capsize, the loud "churning" of the water has been replaced by a rather soothing "lapping" sound. Then Bruce smashes through the glass and it sounds like someone dropped their champagne cocktail. haha I think it might be interesting to hear the original stems opened up and separated...but when they start throwing all new sound FX in, it just doesn't sound like Jaws anymore. I had the same problem with Psycho's 5.1 mix.
I can see why some would prefer the 7.1, but to me, it just sounds nothing like Jaws. When a movie wins the Oscar for Best Sound, I don't really understand changing every other foley effect. If it ain't broke....
Just for the record, gun shots are not Foley.
Doug

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Trivia question. And I do mean trivia.

I recently found this, which I'd taken while on the Universal tour in late 1975.

7b5ab9f9_JawsatUnivStudios1975.jpeg

Try to hold back on the oohs and aahs and compliments. Really, it's not necessary.

It just got me to thinking that the "When in Hollywood visit Universal Studios" card originally appeared after the end of JAWS. Of course it was tacked onto any number of films, but for some reason I half expected to see the message superimposed on the end credits before the fade-out. It's not on the DVD or the Signature laserdisc either, so probably not, but I thought I'd ask.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/210#post_3963826
Trivia question. And I do mean trivia.

I recently found this, which I'd taken while on the Universal tour in late 1975.

7b5ab9f9_JawsatUnivStudios1975.jpeg

Try to hold back on the oohs and aahs and compliments. Really, it's not necessary.

It just got me to thinking that the "When in Hollywood visit Universal Studios" card originally appeared after the end of JAWS. Of course it was tacked onto any number of films, but for some reason I half expected to see the message superimposed on the end credits before the fade-out. It's not on the DVD or the Signature laserdisc either, so probably not, but I thought I'd ask.

The history of that logo would be interesting. When did they start, was it for every film and when did they retire it. I know they were still doing it when JAWS was released for the the last one I remember is for ANIMAL HOUSE and ask for Babs. But was that just for an added joke and they had stopped attaching them way before then? Anyone have knowledge?

And Charles, about the picture, "oooooohhhh." Could not help myself. This is a classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks