What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jack Reacher -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Jack Reacher is an interesting film.  With so many new productions literally slathered in special effects effects and digital work, Jack Reacher, with Tom Cruise in the lead, stands out.

It seems like a nice, old-fashioned film.

And that's a good thing.

Shot on film (Panavision), and taken through the DI process at 2k, it looks terrific.  As it's derived from a DI, it will look as it should on Blu-ray.

As to the film itself, Jack Reacher is a great ride - wonderful entertainment.  One of the treats is an appearance by filmmaker Werner Herzog as leader bad guy, The Zec.

I did find one thing a bit odd, and possibly it may just have been the camera angle.  I've enjoyed Rosamund Pike's work, and while I'm certain that she has lovely breasts, I couldn't figure out why in one scene, they seemed to take center stage, for no apparent reason.  It almost looked as though her costume had been made far too small to contain them.

Not that I mind, but just odd.

Jack Reacher is a highly entertaining, terrific piece of entertainment, presented by Paramount in top Blu-ray form.

Recommended.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't get me started on discussing Rosamund Pike's breasts again as they were the subject of discussion after the HTF preview this film last October at Paramount.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks again to Paramount for that preview....they showed us the film six weeks prior to the theatrical release! I enjoyed it and the Blu-ray will be coming to my collection. Neil will be doing a full review and Kevin had a chance to work with the stunt team and some video from that will be surfacing around here soon.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That preview was great. I totally enjoyed it.

I hear criticism from friends or acquaintances who have read the book(s) and don't go for the adaptation or the casting, so perhaps there are times when ignorance is bliss -- because going into it cold, I thought it ranked right up there as a thriller, and Herzog as villain is a treat for sure.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Robert Harris said:
It seems like a nice, old-fashioned film.

I've enjoyed Rosamund Pike's work, and while I'm certain that she has lovely breasts, I couldn't figure out why in one scene, they seemed to take center stage, for no apparent reason. It almost looked as though her costume had been made far too small to contain them.

Recommended.

RAH
For some reason, i don't know what it could be, i find myself wanting to watch this film, thank you for your recommendation.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
I did find one thing a bit odd, and possibly it may just have been the camera angle. I've enjoyed Rosamund Pike's work, and while I'm certain that she has lovely breasts, I couldn't figure out why in one scene, they seemed to take center stage, for no apparent reason. It almost looked as though her costume had been made far too small to contain them.

Not that I mind, but just odd.
Well, that bit of information sold me on the disc :) She is gorgeous!
Just kidding. I have been in need of a newer film on Blu-Ray, and this looked good to me, I just never caught it in the theater.
Thanks for the recommendation Mr. Harris.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Very pleasant surprise. I went in expecting a SGBU shoot 'em up and got instead a very well written, directed, and performed dramatic thriller with enough action to keep the adrenaline going.

As much as I try to dislike Tom Cruise for everything except his acting, I can't deny his terrific on-screen presence. He is definitely in top form here. Having read much of the criticism of how much unlike the literary character Cruise is, I have to think I'm better off not having read any of the "Jack Reacher" books, because I enjoyed this movie immensely. If any possible future scripts were to maintain this level of quality, this could be a series at least as entertaining as a certain British secret agent, if not as extravagant.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wait, what oddly takes center stage again?
I think this one just got elevated to blind buy... :rolling-smiley:

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Johnny Angell said:
How violent is this film? It's only pg-13, but that could just be for sex/nudity.
There are some pretty good fist fights, a shootout, and a sniper scene that some people found disturbing that opened the film.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I always find Christopher McQuarrie's work, as writer and/or director, interesting, so I caught this one in the theater. Was very pleased with it, and I have no doubt that the BD will get plenty of screen time in my home.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I love Christopher McQuarrie so this is a blind buy for me. Unfortunately I missed it in the theater, but I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
With respect to the casting controversy, I am in the camp with those who believe that since there are probably less than ten actors realistically viable to top-line a big budget action film like this and none of them physically resemble the character described in the Lee Child books, Cruise was not a bad choice.
The gamble may not have exactly paid off in spades, but if I were Paramount deciding how to spend my hundred million dollars (or more) of production and marketing money, I would choose Tom Cruise over Dolph Lundgren even if the latter looks more like the character in the books. ;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Ken_McAlinden said:
With respect to the casting controversy, I am in the camp with those who believe that since there are probably less than ten actors realistically viable to top-line a big budget action film like this and none of them physically resemble the character described in the Lee Child books, Cruise was not a bad choice.
The gamble may not have exactly paid off in spades, but if I were Paramount deciding how to spend my hundred million dollars (or more) of production and marketing money, I would choose Tom Cruise over Dolph Lundgren even if the latter looks more like the character in the books. ;)
Lee Child makes this point in the BD's extras - there's not a slew of actors out there who fit the physical bill...

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I read the first three Lee Child books and hated them - a pale imitation (and an obvious one) of Stephen Hunter's much better and wonderfully written Bob Lee Swagger books - the film adaptation of whichever one they did in that series, which starred Mark Wahlberg, who is about as far away from Bob Lee Swagger as you can get, was horrible, which killed what could have been a great series. I may check Jack Reacher out, but if it somehow works, it won't have much to do with Lee Child, the man who writes the shortest sentences in author history.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Maybe. Not sure if I agree. But I might. :P

I actually read one of the books, after seeing the movie, and I didn't care for it, but enjoyed the movie. I know Paramount was hoping to make a franchise out it it, but I don't know if it did well enough at the box office.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
haineshisway said:
I read the first three Lee Child books and hated them -
I can see reading one book and then one more just to be sure about the writer. Why would you read a third book, after hating the first two?

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
haineshisway said:
Lee Child, the man who writes the shortest sentences in author history.
Apparently, you haven't read any James Ellroy.

I am a fan of the books (and Ellroy, too), and while I was prepared to hate Cruise in the role of Reacher due only to the fact that he is about a foot shorter (and also for his offscreen peccadillos), I have to admit that he did a great job. One facet of the books that Reacher is large and intimidating, and while that was lost, Cruise "got" Reacher's character.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks