What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hot Fuzz -- in HD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Universal's Hot Fuzz is a dark comedy in the genre of Peckinpah's The Straw Dogs -- sort of. With a bit of Gunga Din, Local Hero and Eyes Wide Shut thrown in for good measure.

Apparently created by the slightly deranged minds of Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, Hot Fuzz is the type of film that could only come from the UK. Slightly bolder and louder than the typical Ealing production, it is nonetheless a superior entertainment.

Universal's HD (combo) disc is also of superior form. There is nothing more that one might ask from the disc in terms of quality.

Hot Fuzz is an entertaining film and a high quality piece of software that arrives as Highly Recommended.

RAH

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
You're too late to persuade me to try it. I already got one. After the first half hour I was really wonderin' if I even liked the film but it got better and then even better.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I got this 3 days ago. I haven't laughed that hard in quite some time!

Doug

Dave>h

Second Unit
I watched this over the weekend and was impressed both by the film (very funny) and by the HD DVD production (Great picture and the soundscape was awesome).

I can see why this one has been garnering such high marks on the reviews sites. The picture and sound quality are exceptional. This is one of the best surround experiences I have had in recent memory. The soundtrack was very pumped up and bombastic (intentionally so according to the director). Top notch job done on the sound reproduction.

Dave

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Do make sure to re-visit the film a few times. Much like Shaun of the Dead, there are a lot of hidden gems in there by way of visual gags, repeated lines (with new meaning, or slightly altered), and other auditory cues.

Great fun! Love this film. I'm so impressed with Simon and Edgar for really taking their time with the script and layering as much as they do in their films. It really rewards those looking for more than what's on the surface - though the surface sure is fun too! It's great to be able to watch something again and again and pick new things up upon each re-visit. And I find that sorely lacking in many films today. It seems most just don't spend enough time in the scripting phase. Thankfully these fine gents are around to pick up the slack.

Cheers,

Jason

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I had a double feature night a week ago with a few friends and showed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. My friends couldn't stop laughing. It made a great double feature. This weeked I plan on showing Mr. Bean's Holiday (UK HD DVD).

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I too watched this the other night and thought it was pretty good - though I still found Shaun of the Dead funnier. The audio and video for Hot Fuzz was outstanding.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hi,

I thought this one was a watch once and revisit in a year or so but I am intrigued that some think there are layers to the comedy in this film.

I like films and shows where I get more out of it on a second viewing (ala Arrested Development) so I may have to watch this again sooner than I had anticipated.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dave

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Particularly watch street and other signs for names you might find recognize.

Doug

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Loved this. In my line of work, this film is particularly funny, what with the references to "accidents" and police note-taking. The disc is flat-out gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks