1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hoffa -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    I recall my initial reactions to Danny DeVito's Hoffa, which I saw theatrically in 1992.

First and foremost, was the performance by Jack Nicholson. I rate it among his best. The supporting cast was equally superb, and beautifully directed.

My next thought was "what unbelievably great transitions!"

Hoffa holds up today, and stands the test of time, while many films do not.

All of this would be moot if Fox's new Blu-ray of what I consider to be a brilliant film did not live up to the quality of the base element.

And I'm thrilled that it does. In spaces.

The new Filmmaker's Signature Series Blu-ray is very much like watching a 35mm print in your home theater. Just beautiful.

Resolution, color, densities, grain structure, shadow detail, all appears to have been translated from film to disc intact. Audio, which comes to us via DTS-HD MA, is perfect. Originally presented in major cities in prints blown up to 70mm.

A wonderful film.

A great Blu-ray.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

2. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Couldn't agree more, as I said in the War of the Roses thread, those Hoffa transitions were a huge influence on my filmmaking.
    I wore this out on the LD box set and this disc is glorious.

3. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I wasn't a huge fan of HOFFA when I first watched it theatrically- in fact, the only time I've ever watched the film. It struck me as being technically very precise and controlled, but left me cold. In retrospect, my memories of it remind me of my reactions to certain films of David Fincher films that don't work for me- technically incredible, but maybe a bit too precise, if that makes sense. Still, glad to hear this Blu-ray getting getting great notices, maybe it's time for me to revisit this. No doubt, Mr. DeVito is a gifted filmmaker who obviously LOVES the medium.
    Vincent

FoxyMulder likes this.
  4. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Supporting Actor

Robert Smith
    This is the kind of review that causes me to buy something I wouldn't otherwise have bought.
    The studios should start thinking that excellent work on the mastering etc. will result in more sales.
    Thank you.

5. lark144

lark144 Premium
    Supporter

mark gross
    +1 There are films that, while wonderful, I don't necessarily need to own, and I think HOFFA is one of them. However, Mr. Harris' review has caused me to reconsider. Since buying a Blu ray player last year, I confess that I am collecting much more towards a consideration of the cinematic qualities of the release, and therefore find Mr. Harris' column extremely helpful.

6. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    Saw a 70mm blow up of Hoffa on its release in late 1992. As is the case with 70mm blow ups, fantastic audio. Another cool thing (back then) was that the previews were also 70mm blow ups as well. And guess what also had fantastic sound? The preview for Body of Evidence.

So that's my lasting memory of seeing Hoffa in 70mm. The great audio of a preview for a really bad Madonna movie. Memories are funny things.