What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ High Noon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
When Bob Gitt and UCLA have already done a full blown restoration from the original nitrate elements, why re-invent the wheel?

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Mark-P said:
Notice that he did say "we've" done a 4K scan, but I suppose that "we" could have been inclusive of Paramount.
Or, he could be referring to a post facility. To say, "we've done" can also mean, "we've commissioned", as opposed to, "we've performed".

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
But did that restoration entail a 4K scan of the original negatives with digital re-combine? If not, wouldn't this be better?
Bob Furmanek said:
When Bob Gitt and UCLA have already done a full blown restoration from the original nitrate elements, why re-invent the wheel?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Mark-P /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/180#post_3954775
But did that restoration entail a 4K scan of the original negatives with digital re-combine? If not, wouldn't this be better?

It would be far better, and more accurate as far as registration.

The UCLA work done on a very interesting, three-headed, printer. The work was optical, which means that contrast could be problematic. There were also some shots
that had registration problems. That said, it was a beautiful job, and state of the art at the time.

RAH

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
JoeDoakes said:
In the interview, Tarzi answers this question about the Quiet Man:
What kind of work needs to be done?
Well a 3-strip Technicolor film like The Quiet Man needs special care. We've done a 4K scan off the original negative from the studio's archives but that's just the beginning. There's a very complicated re- mastering process that needs to be done for a Technicolor film like this and we want to get it right.
Would Paramount have a copy of whatever was done by UCLA? I would think that, when UCLA did the restoration, they got the original elements from whoever owned it at the time, and I would also think that the owner would have a copy of the restoration. Is it possible that what is really happening is that Olive is dealing with the restored version in some way?
Bob Furmanek said:
Doctorossi said:
Or, he could be referring to a post facility. To say, "we've done" can also mean, "we've commissioned", as opposed to, "we've performed".
Or it's just the "Royal" we...
Seriously, this thread is getting even more interesting. And as to why work is being done with no attempt to contact the T.E. Lawrence of film restoration -- I don't know.
I sent another e-mail to Olive just asking the question about the UCLA restoration and so far, no reply. I won't hold my breath. But as I wrote above, I do hope they succeed. I wonder if there is an attorney-client privilege type of thing, so if the Columbia restoration division is doing the work or Warner's MPC or any other major firm, they wouldn't tell Mr. Harris.
And RE: Bob Furmanek -- recall that Paramount did a new "restoration", not 4K, with the Hondo Blu-ray release. We don't know why an earlier restoration wasn't used either...
Of course, the (relatively small, I suspect) company that did Hondo may be the ones that are doing The Quiet Man. We'll just have to wait and see. Or it could be the BBC, that has a restoration division. I suppose we can just check out Blu-ray.com for yet another exclusive! :rolleyes:
Has anyone from the U.K. seen the Olympic opening? It's delayed until tonight here "across the pond"...(this has nothing to do with High Noon, so maybe I should ask at the waiting for Lawrence thread...and you can answer there.)
p.s. Thank you for the information, Mr. Harris. Again, I've no idea why CBS and/or Paramount and/or Olive don't engage you for your services, even as a consultant with encyclopedic knowledge of cinema! :confused:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by JParker /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/180#post_3954807
Has anyone from the U.K. seen the Olympic opening? It's delayed until tonight here "across the pond"...(this has nothing to do with High Noon, so maybe I should ask at the waiting for Lawrence thread...and you can answer there.)
p.s. Thank you for the information, Mr. Harris. Again, I've no idea why CBS and/or Paramount and/or Olive don't engage you for your services, even as a consultant with encyclopedic knowledge of cinema!

I am watching the Olympic opening, the commentator's for the BBC keeps talking over the music and visuals, it's annoying, need a music only option on the satellite feed.

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
FoxyMulder said:
I am watching the Olympic opening, the commentator's for the BBC keeps talking over the music and visuals, it's annoying, need a music only option on the satellite feed.
I've no doubt our coverage will be about the same. Thanks, Foxy. And don't ever share your time machine tech with Blu-ray.com ever again - you of all people should know better! ;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by JParker /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/180#post_3954807
Or it's just the "Royal" we...
Seriously, this thread is getting even more interesting. And as to why work is being done with no attempt to contact the T.E. Lawrence of film restoration -- I don't know.
I sent another e-mail to Olive just asking the question about the UCLA restoration and so far, no reply. I won't hold my breath. But as I wrote above, I do hope they succeed. I wonder if there is an attorney-client privilege type of thing, so if the Columbia restoration division is doing the work or Warner's MPC or any other major firm, they wouldn't tell Mr. Harris.
And RE: Bob Furmanek -- recall that Paramount did a new "restoration", not 4K, with the Hondo Blu-ray release. We don't know why an earlier restoration wasn't used either...
Of course, the (relatively small, I suspect) company that did Hondo may be the ones that are doing The Quiet Man. We'll just have to wait and see. Or it could be the BBC, that has a restoration division. I suppose we can just check out Blu-ray.com for yet another exclusive!
p.s. Thank you for the information, Mr. Harris. Again, I've no idea why CBS and/or Paramount and/or Olive don't engage you for your services, even as a consultant with encyclopedic knowledge of cinema!
For one thing, as far as The Quiet Man is concerned, it isn't needed.

This is a very simple job.

RAH

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Robert Harris said:
RAH
Then we can hope for the best -- that it comes out great!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
FoxyMulder said:
If you watch on Sky, Freesat or Virgin Media you can select an alternative BBC channel without commentary.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Douglas R /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/210#post_3954844
If you watch on Sky, Freesat or Virgin Media you can select an alternative BBC channel without commentary.

I must have to tune that in, i'm not using an official Freesat box so no automatic updates. I wish i'd known earlier lol.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Harris said:
RAH
Why is it a "simple job'? What is so simple about it?
To my knowledge, we've never even had a good version of The Quiet Man on home video (much less a great version - which would be terrific).
It seems to me that something extra has to happen for us to get a version that is worthy.
David

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/210#post_3954858
Why is it a "simple job'? What is so simple about it?
To my knowledge, we've never even had a good version of The Quiet Man on home video (much less a great version - which would be terrific).
It seems to me that something extra has to happen for us to get a version that is worthy.
David
Sorry. It really doesn't.

RAH

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
At this point Olive can say whatever they want. The proof will be in the product. I look forward to a few words by Mr Harris on their future releases. Seem much more reliable and honest then the Blueray.com ones. :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Russell G /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/210#post_3954865
At this point Olive can say whatever they want. The proof will be in the product. I look forward to a few words by Mr Harris on their future releases. Seem much more reliable and honest then the Blueray.com ones. :)
I don't believe that it's a situation of "honest." Simply different eyes and knowledge. BD.com has some fine reviewers and they honestly report what they see.

RAH

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I want to step in here for a moment because there were some
comments made regarding Jeffrey Kauffman and his source of
screener product that is causing some backlash...

Jeffrey is a highly regarded reviewer who had spent quite a bit
of time writing reviews on Home Theater Forum. He is an
individual I have the utmost respect for, and have had the
opportunity to talk with on many occasions since he left HTF.

I do not believe for a moment that Jeff is getting product outside
of Olive. I think that everyone should be careful about making
such accusations.

Thank You.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ronald Epstein said:
of time writing reviews on Home Theater Forum.  He is an 
of Olive.  I think that everyone should be careful about making
such accusations.
Thank You.
Could not agree more.
RAH

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Ronald Epstein said:
of time writing reviews on Home Theater Forum.  He is an 
of Olive.  I think that everyone should be careful about making
such accusations.
I do not know Jeffrey Kauffman from Adam (the Biblical Adam, not Adam Gregorich), and did not intend to accuse him of anything. I'm sure that, like most reviewers, he tells his editor which titles he'd like to review and waits for discs to show up in the mail.
Given that he was granted an interview by an Olive spokesperson, we can safely assume that his copy of High Noon came from Olive. Beyond that, I'm sorry for letting this thread drift off topic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by JoshZ /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/210#post_3955033
I do not know Jeffrey Kauffman from Adam (the Biblical Adam, not Adam Gregorich), and did not intend to accuse him of anything. I'm sure that, like most reviewers, he tells his editor which titles he'd like to review and waits for discs to show up in the mail.
Given that he was granted an interview by an Olive spokesperson, we can safely assume that his copy of High Noon came from Olive. Beyond that, I'm sorry for letting this thread drift off topic.

That and among other Olive titles he has reviewed weeks ahead of their release date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks