1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Heathers -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Heathers is a reasonably low budget 1989 production that I never recall looking terribly good on DVD. Fortunately, Anchor Bay has provided a clean HD transfer for Blu-ray, with a resultant image that appears natural and film-like.

This clique black comedy scores quality points, and will hopefully perform well for Anchor Bay.

Recommended.

RAH

2. Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr Well-Known Member

F*$& me gently with a chainsaw! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear! One of my favorite movies and I am so glad Anchor Bay didn't go the route of just recycling past lousy transfer(s) made for DVD. Thanks for the report, Robert!

3. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Well-Known Member

I was very worried about this transfer as well. It is a favorite of the wife's and mine, so I was going to pick it up anyway, but it is nice to hear that I won't have to do so begrudgingly.

4. Cassy_w

Cassy_w Well-Known Member

What? I am stunned to hear this since the so called "remastered" Anchor Bay SD-DVD release, which was taken from a 1080i source, was DVNR'd to death and looked like complete crap compared to the earlier 480i non-anamorphic release. The difference was striking and Anchor Bay received huge loads of hate mail as a result.

I love Robert Harris, but I will have to see this for myself. Especially after HALLOWEEN and EVIL DEAD II showed up on BD from the much hated transfers (wrong color correction on Haolloween and DVNR on ED2).

5. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Well-Known Member

Jeff Adkins
    I just briefly took a look at this and it seems fairly good. There is definitely some grain intact and although it still looks a bit soft, it doesn't look waxy.

My big pet peeve is that they didn't include the film's original mono soundtrack. I can't understand why it would be so difficult. I appreciate that the 5.1 remix is lossless, but the original mono track should be included here in my opinion.

6. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for this one to arrive. I'm glad to hear it doesn't look waxy, and I am disappointed, though not surprised, to hear the original mono soundtrack was not retained.

Incidentally, Fox gets a lot of crap, and most of it is justified, but lately I've become more appreciative of the studio due to their inclusion of original soundtracks.

7. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

Heather only had a mono track? That must have been a rarity in 1989.

8. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Well-Known Member

Jeff Adkins
    Very rare. Even most low-budget films could afford Ultra-Stereo. The original Laserdisc of Heathers was PCM Mono.

9. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Well-Known Member

The blu ray is now 5.99 at amazon !!! !!!!!!!! Im glad I waited this long, to place an order.

10. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Well-Known Member

I picked this up even though I have the laser disc and DVD box set. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet but i can't wait.