What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Glory -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Edward Zwick's Glory, which was nominated for four Academy Awards in 1990, and won three -- Best Sound, Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Denzel Washington), and Best Cinematography by Freddie Francis, BSC, has been on my "worry list."

It was created with a slightly granular look, which among other things, I presume added to the precise look of occasional Matthew Brady-like tableaus, but with terrific resolution, and I feared that it might go over to the "dark side."

This evening my hat is raised high to Columbia / Sony for reproducing Mr. Francis' work, in all its glorious detail, as photographed, and for the precise reasons that it won the Academy Award.

Glory is as perfect a 1989 production as one will find on Blu-ray, and much like Columbia's Dr. Strangelove, is a standard-inducing release of which others should take careful note.

This is the way that Blu-rays should look, but unfortunately so often today, do not.

Glory is a wonderful film, brilliantly produced, that has survived the transition to Blu-ray as if Mr. Francis (who passed away in March of 2007) was fully in charge, held steadfastly to his ideals, and created the perfect Blu-ray of his work.

Glory is a brilliant piece of cinema, reproduced to Perfection.

Highly Recommended!

RAH

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm so very glad to hear that this is another title that was handled well. I look forward to viewing it.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
My copy is in the mail. I thought Glory looked rather well on HD Net Movies. Robert's comments have made me feel warm and fuzzy in anticipation, aye!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thank you for the review, Mr. Harris. I have not watched this movie in many years, and am really looking forward to revisiting it (my copy is in the mail).

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Gorgeous film! Very glad to have this disc in my collection.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Glory! Glory!

Hallel...

Just received the word that mine is in the mail. And $1 less expensive than I ordered it for!

Thanks for the review, I'll wait.

Cees

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Watched it last night. Everything you said it was, RAH, and then some. What a treat to have this movie so well presented in 1080p, and for a price that's easily doable, even during these dicey times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks