What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gladiator -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's a replacement scheme in the UK apparently: If you wish to exchange your original DVNR (digital video noise reduction) feature disc we ask that you send us just your disc 1 in an envelope with your name and address enclosed. Please keep your original packaging and we will post you out a new disc 1. Please note new discs will not be available in the UK for approximately 1 month. Universal Pictures (UK) Ltd ‘Gladiator Exchange’ Prospect House 80-110 New Oxford Street London WC1A 1HB Kind Regards Universal UK Customer Service

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If Paramount (or anyone else) is willing to make this right at minimal inconvenience and cost to myself, I am not going to bother getting worked up about any words that their legal department insists on wrapping around it.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Originally Posted by Christian Preischl

Unlike Universal by the way, who released the disc overseas and are not doing a replacement program, at least not in Germany (Source: Area-dvd.de). If you want a fixed copy, you'll have to buy the new edition.

Christian-

This may be redundant, but if I were you I'd point out to Universal Germany that Universal UK has implemented an exchange program (per John Hodson's post - #61). Doesn't make sense (no wait....this is Universal, so who knows?) that they'd do it for one EU country and not others.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Originally Posted by marsnkc

Christian-

This may be redundant, but if I were you I'd point out to Universal Germany that Universal UK has implemented an exchange program (per John Hodson's post - #61). Doesn't make sense (no wait....this is Universal, so who knows?) that they'd do it for one EU country and not others.

Yup, doesn't make much sense now does it? :) I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their tune in the next couple of days now that the UK has such a program. Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me personally as I have the US version anyway but it's a crappy way to treat German customers who bought this disc in good faith.

Luckily something like this won't happen to me with Universal anytime in the future as I stopped preordering ANY of their catalogue titles and will only consider a purchase once the first reviews from reliable sources are in.

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L
Now about Patton and Spartacus . . . . . . . . . . . I will pay $100 each no question asked for a faithfull remastering of those pieces of shovel crap releases. I will pay good money for proper transfers. Everyone else can have their Claymation™ version of movies on blu-ray. Oh JOY! Showgirls got a decent transfer woohooo.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Originally Posted by Xylon
Luckily something like this won't happen to me with Universal anytime in the future as I stopped preordering ANY of their catalogue titles and will only consider a purchase once the first reviews from reliable sources are in.

It's amazing how old habits die hard. After ranting for weeks about Spartacus, Patton, Longest Day, Out of Africa etc., I turned around last week and pre-ordered Psycho, Mohicans, Moulin Rouge and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. A few hours later I came to my senses and cancelled after realizing that the usual suspects, Universal and Fox, were involved. No more. Like you, I'll wait first for reviews from reliable sources. I have every catalog title I'll ever want on DVD and will stick with those if reviews for their BD counterparts are less than stellar.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Ernest

As reported on several websites Paramount is offering to exchange the BluRay "Gladiator" for a new version that was mastered from a 4K print. Those that have seen the new BluRay reported it is gorgeous and corrects the previous problems. There were no details provided on how the exchange works. I called Paramount at (888) 889-9456 to find-out what we need to do to exchange the old BluRay for the new one? Their automated message states "if you are calling to exchange Gladiator please leave your name and phone number so they can call you to arrange the exchange". If you are interested in exchanging Gladiator call the number and get on the list.

I just called and the mailbox is full. I'll try again later. Anyone know of any other exchange info?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Will there be any special way to tell, for those of us who are buying it for the first time on BD, that we are getting the improved version? Something like the yellow UPC label for Saving Private Ryan?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulDA

Will there be any special way to tell, for those of us who are buying it for the first time on BD, that we are getting the improved version? Something like the yellow UPC label for Saving Private Ryan?

Yellow bar code.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Originally Posted by JohnMor
I just called and the mailbox is full. I'll try again later. Anyone know of any other exchange info?

I used the number that RAH posted: (888) 889-9456. It seems to be the main switchboard and they transferred me to a live individual (amazing as that sounds these days!) at the relevant department.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I just called and got a message telling me to email [email protected] with Gladiator in the subject line. Include name/address/phone and then I will be contacted at a later time. Just did it.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Seems like Universal Germany changed their tune and are offering a replacement program after all (Source: again area-dvd.de).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is now a new number for replacement discs: (888) 889-9456

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Does anyone know when the corrected version is supposed to be available for purchase in the retail channel? I've held off on Gladiator because of the issue with the original Blu-ray release and would like to pick it up now that it's been resolved.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Very interested in picking up the remastered version. I have not seen this since opening weekend. Is the extended version any better or even worth watching?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks