What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Full Metal Jacket (25th Anniversary SE) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
mikeyhitchfan said:
Regarding the film, mine didn't resume play as indicated above. It started from the beginning when I put in the new disc.
Did you watch the two discs back to back? The "Resume Play" bookmark data is stored in your Blu-ray player's persistent memory. Most players only save bookmarks for the last 5 discs you've watched.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
JoshZ said:
Did you watch the two discs back to back? The "Resume Play" bookmark data is stored in your Blu-ray player's persistent memory. Most players only save bookmarks for the last 5 discs you've watched.
Yes, I played the one from the box set a few chapters in, ejected it and put in the new one right away and it went to the FBI warning and start of film. I have a Sony BDP-S360.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I don't think Sony models save disc memory after they're ejected, unless the disc has the newer resume features on it.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Ray H said:
I don't think Sony models save disc memory after they're ejected, unless the disc has the newer resume features on it.
True, this could also vary by player. Do Sony Blu-ray players still require you to purchase an SD card and add it on your own? If you haven't done that, this feature could be disabled anyway.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If memory serves, the 2007 disc corrected the issue of the previous disc being a "conversion" from a 1080i master, much like The Fugitive.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
JoshZ said:
True, this could also vary by player. Do Sony Blu-ray players still require you to purchase an SD card and add it on your own? If you haven't done that, this feature could be disabled anyway.
No SD required. It holds memory for some titles but usually the ones that load Java in the beginning, which this one does not. It remembered where I left off on Avatar from at least 10-15 discs ago.

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
Unbelievable...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Full-Metal-Jacket-Blu-ray/ref=%26%2574%2561g%3d%2562l%2575r%2561y%252d000%252d20?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-000-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B008UZ61BO&ASIN=B008UZ61BO&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Yep. There's yet another re-package of A Clockwork Orange due on the same day, as well. Being that they've already re-packaged it once, I hold out the faintest hope that they may actually include the more recent transfer this time (you know, the one that was completed before the last re-package was released but that they couldn't be bothered to include in that release). That frail little hamster of hope suns itself on a rock, steeling its mind for the likelihood that it's soon to be bludgeoned to death by the ruthless and relentless hammer of reality.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Well, it's obvious that Warner Bros. has lost the rights to all but 5 of their films. From this point on, all we'll ever see are various repackages of A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz. Over and over... and over and over... and over and over... and over...

And over...

Just a few short years ago I would never have believed that they would go from my most favorite studio to my least favorite.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
JohnMor said:
Well, it's obvious that Warner Bros. has lost the rights to all but 5 of their films.  From this point on, all we'll ever see are various repackages of A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz.  Over and over... and over and over... and over and over... and over...
And over... 
Just a few short years ago I would never have believed that they would go from my most favorite studio to my least favorite.  :confused:   :rolleyes:   :(
Hey...at least they gave Casablanca a honey of a new transfer this year, unlike the other endless repackages you mention.
I'll still take Warner over Universal any day, in terms of their catalog output.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 /t/322728/a-few-words-about-full-metal-jacket-25th-anniversary-se-in-blu-ray/30#post_3984450
Hey...at least they gave Casablanca a honey of a new transfer this year, unlike the other endless repackages you mention.
I'll still take Warner over Universal any day, in terms of their catalog output.

True, but it shouldn't have been screwed up to begin with. Same with the last reissue of Full Metal Jacket. It simply corrected transfer issues that shouldn't have been there to begin with. But, hey, what a way to get people to buy the same film again a couple of years later.

I know I'm being hard on them, but the endless repackages and reissues is wearing on me. We'll see how Warners does with their anniversary slate coming up next year, but right now, I'll take Uni's blus over WB's.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
JohnMor said:
True, but it shouldn't have been screwed up to begin with.  Same with the last reissue of Full Metal Jacket.  It simply corrected transfer issues that shouldn't have been there to begin with.  But, hey, what a way to get people to buy the same film again a couple of years later.
I know I'm being hard on them, but the endless repackages and reissues is wearing on me.  We'll see how Warners does with their anniversary slate coming up next year, but right now, I'll take Uni's blus over WB's. 
Well, I do think they rushed Casablanca out when they should've been prepping a new 4K master...but "screwed up" is a bit harsh, considering the rave reviews that initial release got. Was it ideal? No. But it wasn't a complete botch-job, like...well, most of Universal's catalog output.
Warner has at least outgrown the overuse of DNR, for the most part. Even lower-tier releases like Gremlins 2 look better than the average Universal release. Universal seems to be coming around with some of their 100th Anniversary releases...but they're still dropping duds in between, as well. Warner's output, at least in the past few years, has been well above the level of Universal's in terms of image integrity.
I do agree about the reissues, though. It's pathetic...but I largely ignore it. The only time it really bugs me is in a case like Clockwork Orange, where it's clear that they could be giving us a much better presentation, and simply aren't.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Oblivion138 said:
I do agree about the reissues, though. It's pathetic...but I largely ignore it. The only time it really bugs me is in a case like Clockwork Orange, where it's clear that they could be giving us a much better presentation, and simply aren't.
Quite. I'd mind the Warner re-issues a lot less (and even buy most of them) if I could count on an A/V quality improvement every time. Unfortunately, Casablanca is the exception. Every time one of these things is announced, my hopes raise just a bit and then die when we learn of the same 5-year-old transfer, the same small-capacity, old codec compression and sometimes even the same lossy audio.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 /t/322728/a-few-words-about-full-metal-jacket-25th-anniversary-se-in-blu-ray/30#post_3984468
Well, I do think they rushed Casablanca out when they should've been prepping a new 4K master...but "screwed up" is a bit harsh, considering the rave reviews that initial release got. Was it ideal? No. But it wasn't a complete botch-job, like...well, most of Universal's catalog output..

True; I didn't mean it to be as harsh as it sounds.

But I've found Uni's catalogue output this year greatly improved. Pillow Talk, Jaws, All Quiet on the Western Front, Buck Privates, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, To Kill A Mockingbird, Airport, the Essential Classic Monsters set to name a few. All top notch. Of course, the jury is still out on the Hitchcock set, but we'll see soon enough. And even the ones that have some problems this year aren't exactly botch jobs as some have been in past years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks