What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Flight -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Zemeckis' Flight, with Denzel Washington firmly in the pilot seat, is a thought-provoking character study, with what may be the most terrifying air crash created for the cinema. As a film created on the Red, and taken through a 2k DI to 35 scope as well as DCPs, the effects are notably flawless. Also, as data to film, and data direct to Blu-ray, the resultant Blu-ray is a perfect reproduction of the filmmakers' intent. No need to discuss grain structure, color, densities, etc. as they're all precisely what they're meant to be. Wonderful acting on all fronts, with a special turn by John Goodman, along with superb direction and special effects. As someone who doesn't care for those "I loved working with him/her," slap on the back featurettes, I'm pleased to find something of substance in a technical piece on the making of the crash. Educational for aspiring filmmakers, as well as entertaining. Flight is a terrific film, presented by Paramount on a perfect Blu-ray disc, with sound presented as DTS-HD MA. I've been trying to recall beautifully produced crashes in past films, and we can go back to Hell's Angels and other film of that era. The first one that really caught my attention was in Hitchcock's 1940 Foreign Correspondent, with effects projected through the windscreen of the cockpit set. I'm certain some of you can come up with other quality examples. Highly Recommended. RAH

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Robert Harris said:
I've been trying to recall beautifully produced crashes in past films, and we can go back to Hell's Angels and other film of that era.  The first one that really caught my attention was in Hitchcock's 1940, with effects projected through the windscreen of the cockpit set.  I'm certain some of you can come up with other quality examples. Highly Recommended. RAH
"Fate is the Hunter" (on DVD from Twilight Time)?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Robert Harris said:
I've been trying to recall beautifully produced crashes in past films, and we can go back to Hell's Angels and other film of that era.  The first one that really caught my attention was in Hitchcock's 1940, with effects projected through the windscreen of the cockpit set.
Hitch directed 2 movies in 1940. Funny, I don't remember any plane crashes in Rebecca.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Mark-P
Hitch directed 2 movies in 1940. Funny, I don't remember any plane crashes in Rebecca.
Quite correct. That's what happens when I receive phone calls about "fair use."
Corrected.
RAH

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Before seeing the flying sequences of FLIGHT as a huge screen Empire Leicester Square terrifying experience the 'worst' cinema air crash I'd seen was in ALIVE. But that's not the only reason for seeing it as it's engrossing in every way. It was a very good decision by the UK distributors to give away hundreds of tickets for the London Premiere (which is how I saw it) as it's a terrific film whose quality takes one by surprise and generates an enthusiastic word of mouth. I've not, of course, seen the Blu-ray but reccomend FLIGHT unreservedly..

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Fight Club has a pretty decent crash sequence, but I still like, in its low-tech way, Foreign Correspondent. First time I saw it, I kept expecting a cut-away, and was thrilled that we went ALL THE WAY DOWN into the water. Note that Irvin Kershner copied the sequence for an early moment in Empire Strikes Back. Knowing has a pretty terrifying plane crash too, but experienced from the ground.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Awesome plane crashes? Alive! Final Destination (the first) The Grey The Edge United 93 A few more: We Are Marshal Cast Away

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks