What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dial "M" for Murder (Take Two) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Just bought it on eBay for $23.99 including shipping. I'll see how it looks on my Panansonic AE8000 projector.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
RolandL said:
Check on eBay. I have seen it sell for as low as $18 including shipping to the US.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out there.

I still think a 2D only version makes sense and that it will happen in the near future.

The price is kind of steep on this one, IMO.

I'll keep an eye on ebay for sure.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
How many times do we need to say it Osato?A 2D only version makes ZERO sense to them. They are not going to encode and package a whole new disc just for some Luddites. The 2D is there get it when it hits a price you personally feel is reasonable

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I have a Panasonic ST60, and experienced severe ghosting with this disc, but found a partial solution.

Just to mention: it's only a problem w/ Dial M. I did not experience any ghosting w/ Creature from the Black Lagoon, House of Wax, Life of Pi, nor with several 3D on-demand titles we watched via FiOS.

While a 3D disc is playing, go to: Menu > Picture > 3D settings > 3D adjustment. The default is 0. When I raised it to +3 (the highest setting), most of the ghosting disappeared. However, the ghosting in the titles remained, and the shot of Wendice framed by the bedroom door immediately before Swan first arrives still showed a blue halo around his body.

Now I'll see if that setting changed negatively affects other content.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
For people experiencing issues with their display and 3D content i suggest buying the Spears and Munsil calibration disc 2nd edition, it is the only disc on the market with 3D features and you can calibrate your 3D display to some extent with this disc, alternatively pay for an ISF guy/gal to come and do your calibration and you will get your 3D content to look the best it possibly can.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
FoxyMulder said:
For people experiencing issues with their display and 3D content i suggest buying the Spears and Munsil calibration disc 2nd edition, it is the only disc on the market with 3D features and you can calibrate your 3D display to some extent with this disc, alternatively pay for an ISF guy/gal to come and do your calibration and you will get your 3D content to look the best it possibly can.
Thanks for the suggestion. Just ordered it. This had completely escaped me.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
FoxyMulder said:
I do have it, and used it to calibrate my set in 2D. I have to admit, I didn't use it for 3D yet, but thanks for the suggestion.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Moe Dickstein said:
I have a DLP I don't even know what ghosting looks like...
You also don't know what contrast looks like*. :)

[* Written by someone who has both DLP and D-ILA projectors currently installed and exclusively uses DLP for 3D.]

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
FoxyMulder said:
Tried the 3D section on this disc but the 3D is not working. The Blu-ray player says its 3D but the Panasonic AE8000U projector does not recognize it as 3D. It automatically does 3D for all other Blu-ray 3D discs I have so I don't know why it has a problem with this disc.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
When I tried it on my set, it didn't automatically activate the 3D mode, either. I had to tell the set to change to 3D mode. It's strange, because other 3D BDs or on-demand automatically cause the set to switch.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I tried it on my Sony KLD55NX810 TV and the 3D does work using a PS3. I don't see any instructions on the disk on how to reduce any crosstalk/ghosting.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I played my copy after reading the last few posts to see what might be going on.On my Oppo 105, after the Warner logo plays and the main menu comes up, you are given a choice there to select either the 3D or 2D version to play. I selected 3D and poof, it was playing the 3D version like the last time I watched this. Since the last time I viewed this disc, I made some setting adjustments in the player and now the 3D effect is working much better! The main thing that really impressed me was that the opening credits looked like they were floating in the air in front of the screen! The rest of the movie was much more subtle. The main actors in the foreground slightly in front of the background. Shots where Grace Kelley walks from the living room back into the bedroom had more depth. These subtle effects are harder for me to see. I have to work to relax my eyes so it works. Sort of like an Esher drawing where it appears to create that illusion of going in and out.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Doug Otte said:
I have a Panasonic ST60, and experienced severe ghosting with this disc, but found a partial solution.

Just to mention: it's only a problem w/ Dial M. I did not experience any ghosting w/ Creature from the Black Lagoon, House of Wax, Life of Pi, nor with several 3D on-demand titles we watched via FiOS.

While a 3D disc is playing, go to: Menu > Picture > 3D settings > 3D adjustment. The default is 0. When I raised it to +3 (the highest setting), most of the ghosting disappeared. However, the ghosting in the titles remained, and the shot of Wendice framed by the bedroom door immediately before Swan first arrives still showed a blue halo around his body.

Now I'll see if that setting changed negatively affects other content.
Doug, thank you!
Mea Culpa to everyone (especially Bob Furmanek) on my DIAL M rants; thanks to Mr. Otte, I did some serious TV menu investigation, and adjusted a couple of 3D settings (3D Viewpoint and 3D Optimization) that I didn't previously realize existed deep in the labyrinthine layers of my Samsung LED/LCD and now it plays MUCH better, like night and day. Still not perfect, with some ghosting on background objects once in a while and during really dark scenes, but now 85% of it looks just peachy, and the rest still perfectly watchable. I picked up HOUSE OF WAX recently as well, and before the settings adjustment it was more watchable than DIAL M, but still not great; now it looks largely stupendous as well. The paddle-ball man slams it right in your face, without one iota of ghosting. Amazing amount of background depth too. Just gorgeous. Bravo WB and all who worked on these lovely releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks