What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dial "M" for Murder (Take Two) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by TravisR
Dial M For Murder is playing near me (in 3-D) in a few weeks so would a DCP most likely also suffer from the same problems as the Blu-ray?
With proper illumination and projection, it should not. Although the master itself, seems a bit heavy. Could be the HD LUT.
RAH

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Robert Harris said:
The 2D Blu-ray is a tad dark.  In 3D, it verges on unwatchable. RAH
Got it but the picture is still rated 3.5 to 4 on the 2D blu ray? Better then the DVD transfer wise or a wash? To be honest I've put off watching the film a bit as I knew the blu ray release was coming. I figured it would've been cheap enough to pick up by now.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
And even then, the complaint is against the print as viewed thru 3D projection equipment, but that "flat panel owners might be able to adjust more brightness and contrast". Wellz.....GUESS WHAT. :rolleyes: Despite much cult loyalty, I'd wager that a sizeable portion of 3D owners are using flatscreen panels to do their 3D viewing, and don't think much of Projector-ites almost literally believing the industry revolves around them. (I want a show of hands, how many people have tried to convert friends to 3DTV, only to hear, "But I can't afford a $2000 projection system, like someone was suggesting I get!"?) I'm sure projection would look great in a specially customized home theater den. But I live in an apartment, and my Panny Viera (not even a large one at that) and my PS3 does quite well for my 3D viewing. I'm not "settling for less", I'm just saying I don't drive a BMW either, although I have no doubt they're the "ultimate driving machine". If you're obsessively going to spend four months dragging this title through the mud because it doesn't meet the standards of how its most ardent cult believes it "should" be seen...Elitist doesn't even begin to be the word for that. 3DTV fans already face enough bigotry, snobbery, and heavily subjective quick-judgment from outside, without creating snobby high-hatted factions among themselves.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Ejanss
And even then, the complaint is against the print as viewed thru 3D projection equipment, but that "flat panel owners might be able to adjust more brightness and contrast".
Wellz.....GUESS WHAT.
Despite much cult loyalty, I'd wager that a sizeable portion of 3D owners are using flatscreen panels to do their 3D viewing, and don't think much of Projector-ites almost literally believing the industry revolves around them.
(I want a show of hands, how many people have tried to convert friends to 3DTV, only to hear, "But I can't afford a $2000 projection system, like someone was suggesting I get!"?)
I'm sure projection would look great in a specially customized home theater den. But I live in an apartment, and my Panny Viera (not even a large one at that) and my PS3 does quite well for my 3D viewing. I'm not "settling for less", I'm just saying I don't drive a BMW either, although I have no doubt they're the "ultimate driving machine".
If you're obsessively going to spend four months dragging this title through the mud because it doesn't meet the standards of how its most ardent cult believes it "should" be seen...Elitist doesn't even begin to be the word for that.
3DTV fans already face enough bigotry, snobbery, and heavily subjective quick-judgment from outside, without creating snobby high-hatted factions among themselves.
It's all the fault of the 3D fans.
And the bicycle riders.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd jump in. I finally have joined you in the 3D realm.I just upgraded to that new Oppo blu ray player after waiting for the release of the current models.I have a stack of 3D blu rays and Prometheus and Dial M were my first discs.I held off watching Dial M until I had got the player. I'm viewing on a 65" Panasonic VT30. Because of eye issues, I can't always seem to see the 3D illusion. But I realized that if I moved closer to the screen, I could. So it's a matter of my eyes being able to converge.At any rate, I was amazed after seeing the degree which Ridley Scott had used 3D with such restraint in Prometheus, that Hitchcock's film is similarly restrained. I expected the scissors to jump out a little. The stuff that amazed me was when Tony and Swan are chatting. There is a shot of Milland in his chair in low profile and the fireplace mantle behind him. He appears in front of it and the illusion really works if my eyes are focused. There are several shots like that that really surprised me how effective they were.I did see the left image ghosting. It was mostly in dark shots. One shot of Milland in front of the desk and the dark drapes behind him also show ghosting. So that's what ghosting is. In terms of darkness, I did reset the picture settings to the regular 2D calibrations for the 3D settings, that helped. But then for added measure, I used a setting similar to vivid to pump up the image a tad. Not something I like to do because then its a less then ideal image in 2D mode, but okay in 3D, it certainly helped for Prometheus too. Nice this TV separates the settings between 2D and 3D and are not global. Not sure how long this 3D craze will go on for. Not sure I want to see movies this way, seems like a bit of a hassle. I mainly got the Oppo for the audio portion, and the newer blu ray capability. So 3D was a delightful bonus and the TV was capable, so seemed a waste to not use it.I want to see Dial M again in regular 2D. Then see how Avatar looks, then Titanic and Avengers. Avatar did not work for me in 3D in the theaters, but perhaps now that I sit closer, it will.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
When Iook at this film in 2D all I can think about is how the compositions look strange, the film was truly crafted to be experienced in depth.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
For those of you in England near Bradford, the National Media Museum is showing Dial M in 3D this Friday through the following Thursday.

http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/PlanAVisit/WhatsOn.aspx

The email I got from them is interesting...
Filmed at a time when 3D was the next best thing, Alfred Hitchcock set to work using this new medium for Dial M for Murder. Based on the hit broadway play, production was completed in 1953. However, the film was unable to be released until the play completed its run by which time, in 1954, 3D had gone out of fashion.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Robert Harris said:
The 2D Blu-ray is a tad dark. In 3D, it verges on unwatchable.RAH
Thank you. I've decided to live with my DVD copy at this point.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Tried out the 3D version on my new Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Plasma. I'm not a huge fan of 3D however over the past few years whenever a combo pack was released for specific Disney films like Beauty and the Best etc I would always buy the edition that contains the 3D disc. I've tried out Life of Pi so far and realized I owned a few classic 3D films such as Dial M and Creature from the B. L. I always remembered how bad the 3D of Dial M was panned and while I know this isn't the best 3D movie, I was surprised how decent it seems to look in 3D. I prefer the 2D but the 3D is an interesting experiment for sure. I wish it could have been better. will be curious to see how House of Wax will look in 3D. I viewed Dial M in 3D with the CNet calibration settings, not to change the topic of his thread this plasma has incredible calibration settings it is a studio grade panel and IMO the tv looks insanely good. And I agree the 3D I only wish could have been a brighter transfer for Dial M.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw this in 2K DCP 3D in NFT 1 and it looked excellent. Over the years I have seen it in 3D Film in NFT 2 and
the last time I saw this in 3D Film was NFT 3 last year and the 3D was not lined up and was the worse showing
ever I have seen of this.

If you have a chance to see the DCP you will be very impressed.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I saw it in dual projection 3D at the NYC Film Forum many years ago and it looked fantastic!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I am holding out for a 2D only blu ray release from WB. Hopefully this happens soon.

If not, I will be content with my DVD version.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Powell&Pressburger said:
The BLU features Both 3D and 2D versions on the same disc. :)
Right, but it's $30..

So I am content to wait for a price cut or a 2D only issue.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Check on eBay. I have seen it sell for as low as $18 including shipping to the US.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ejanss said:
And even then, the complaint is against the print as viewed thru 3D projection equipment, but that "flat panel owners might be able to adjust more brightness and contrast". Wellz.....GUESS WHAT. :rolleyes: Despite much cult loyalty, I'd wager that a sizeable portion of 3D owners are using flatscreen panels to do their 3D viewing, and don't think much of Projector-ites almost literally believing the industry revolves around them.
If the film looks great on a projector it will look great on your typical television sized display, on the other hand if the film looks great on a typical television sized display there is no guarantee it will still look good on a projection sized display, i own both and don't believe the industry revolves around me but i can also appreciate if it works on my projector it should work on my television.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have to jump back in and say that the 3D was very subtle and really worked well! It wasn't that dark an image to me and my settings are based on settings recommended by ISF calibrators. So it's close.The parts that amazed me was when you see Grace Kelley go into the bedroom and the camera is in the living room, it feels like I can see part of the bedroom if I could move my head more to the left! The effect was working there. And the shot of Milland in his chair popped out from the fireplace behind it. And I'm sure this blu ray can be had for a nice price soon too as well and well worth the price too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks