What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Desk Set -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Douglas R said:
In 1957 Fox was releasing all their CinemaScope productions in stereo.
Was THE THREE FACES OF EVE in stereo? I haven't watched the bluray yet, but I don't recall ever hearing stereo on this 1957 title either. But that doesn't mean it wasn't originally released that way. But maybe the original tracks don't survive.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Rob_Ray said:
Was THE THREE FACES OF EVE in stereo? I haven't watched the bluray yet, but I don't recall ever hearing stereo on this 1957 title either. But that doesn't mean it wasn't originally released that way. But maybe the original tracks don't survive.
4-track stereo according to IMDb.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
As a librarian and a Hepburn fan, I've always felt a fondness for this film and consider it one of their best. The 'Scope framing (which was even wider on the laserdisc than the DVD) doesn't do the film any favours though, IMHO.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Look what Santa's sleigh just delivered to my doorstep:

20131212_131903.jpg

I'll be watching Desk Set tonight. The rest should keep me busy until well after the holidays!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Stefan Andersson said:
Screen caps over at DVD Beaver show a heavy blue bias: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/deskset.htm

I know caps are dependent on monitor settings and subjective judgment, therefore often untrustworthy.

But due to the marked difference in color between the SD and the Blu, I thought I´d bring it up for discussion.
You can find a (brief) discussion of this on the other DESK SET thread. I think the blu-ray looks wonderful

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/326904-desk-set-1957-blu-ray-available-for-preorder/

Fabian Kusch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabian Kusch
For those interested in an HD version of this film similar to the color scheme of Fox's 2004 SD release, there's a German Blu-ray out that uses an older transfer.

Borders are a little more cropped than on the Fox BD, compression could be better and there are a few specks and dirt particles noticable.

I have no idea which color grading represents the original theatrical presentation but to my eye the older version is a bit more pleasing than that current transfer.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Fabian Kusch said:
I have no idea which color grading represents the original theatrical presentation but to my eye the older version is a bit more pleasing than that current transfer.
With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more. I think the film benefits tremendously from the wider array of colors in the new transfer.

I think the beaver caps LOOK so blue because they are printed on the page right BENEATH the older transfer (which was completely lacking in blue of any kind) and, since we see that one first, our brain screams BLUE!!!!!! when we get to the new images. If you look at the caps posted lower on the page (without the benefit of comparison to the brown/green older shots) they appear well balanced and NOT overly blue because our brain isn't playing tricks on us.

In motion it is (at the risk of sounding TOO gay, as if that's even possible) a truly delicious transfer IMO and I highly highly recommend it for anyone who's a fan.

Fabian Kusch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabian Kusch
I was just pointing to an HD alternative for those disappointed with the current Blu-ray.No need to get excited...

BIANCO2NERO

Agent
Real Name
Sergio Angelini
Will Krupp said:
I think the beaver caps LOOK so blue because they are printed on the page right BENEATH the older transfer (which was completely lacking in blue of any kind) and, since we see that one first, our brain screams BLUE!!!!!! when we get to the new images. If you look at the caps posted lower on the page (without the benefit of comparison to the brown/green older shots) they appear well balanced and NOT overly blue because our brain isn't playing tricks on us.

In motion it is (at the risk of sounding TOO gay, as if that's even possible) a truly delicious transfer IMO and I highly highly recommend it for anyone who's a fan.
I personally think it looks much too blue in the Beaver caps, but I know what you mean about the comparison making it seem more marked. There do not appear to be any pure whites in any of the grabs and the reds are too muted it seems me.

bestactor

Agent
Real Name
TJK
This movie gives me endless pleasure and I always love watching it from November through December. It's another chapter of corporate office life. The bluish tinge is what I remember from seeing good quality 35mm/scope showings. Many Fox '50's scope films set in offices share this look. I don't know if it was the sets or lighting.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Will Krupp said:
With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more. I think the film benefits tremendously from the wider array of colors in the new transfer.

I disagree. When I watched the Blu-ray, I did so independent of any other screenings - I'd not seen the DVD in years - and knew nothing of any potential blue emphasis before I viewed it.

And I thought "BLUE!!!" when I watched the Blu-ray. This had nothing to do with screen caps or my mind convincing me I was seeing something I was looking to find - it just looked blue.

Whether or not the image is SUPPOSED to look blue is up for debate, but according to my eyes - seeing it on my TV in my house - it shows a definite teal emphasis...

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Colin Jacobson said:
Whether or not the image is SUPPOSED to look blue is up for debate, but according to my eyes - seeing it on my TV in my house - it shows a definite teal emphasis...
okay...

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Well, for those who know what these Fox films looked like back then, the color on the Blu is very pleasing and very true. For those who don't and prefer faded and completely washed out images, then some other transfer will be more pleasing. Blue was very prevalent in dye transfer prints of the time - this is not conjecture, it's fact, and I love this Blu-ray for looking like it should :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Will Krupp said:

As you can see in my post above, we are in complete agreement regarding the color.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Colin Jacobson said:
I disagree. When I watched the Blu-ray, I did so independent of any other screenings - I'd not seen the DVD in years - and knew nothing of any potential blue emphasis before I viewed it.

And I thought "BLUE!!!" when I watched the Blu-ray. This had nothing to do with screen caps or my mind convincing me I was seeing something I was looking to find - it just looked blue.

As opposed to what other kind of emphasis - yellow? :) The image looks like a dye transfer print of that era, just as it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks