What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Deliverance -- in BD & HD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I love re-visiting a favored film on HD or BD DVD and finding a winner.

The playing field has become so intense, and reviewers and bloggers so picky, that even the most beautifully sourced digital master sometimes can't make it to home plate.

John Boorman's brilliant 1972 film about four buddies trying their luck at white water canoeing down a southern river has been brought to high definition DVD so perfectly, that Mr. Boorman and his cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond must be thrilled.

When you've seen a film in a proper 35mm dye transfer print from the original release, and the DVD so beautifully reproduces that experience, the image on screen can be viscerally thrilling.

So it is with Warner's Deliverance.

A great early 1970s production, given a perfect treatment in every way.

This is as good as it gets for the look of cinema in a home theater environment.

Deliverance comes Extremely Highly Recommended.

Having viewed Deliverance in it's Blu-Ray form, I can only call it Perfect.

Just perfect!

RAH

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
This is one film I've been "meaning to get" for years, now.

I'll definately be picking this up now that it has the RAH seal of approval.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Mr. Harris. I was very much looking forward to this new high-definition release, and I'm very happy to hear that it comes highly recommended from such an authoritative source. One copy on HD DVD sold!

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I've been in high hopes ever since the title announcement. The RAH seal of approval is enough for me.
Now we can wait for so many online reviewers to trash it, because it doesn't replicate the look of 'Serenity'.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Funny, I had never seen this film before this past Sunday night. I was house sitting for my sister, and I noticed that she had it. I popped it in around 1:45 am on a stormy night alone, and got more than bargained for! What a great flick! Can't wait to finally pick this up.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
ScottR said:
Funny, I had never seen this film before this past Sunday night. I was house sitting for my sister, and I noticed that she had it. I popped it in around 1:45 am on a stormy night alone, and got more than bargained for! What a great flick! Can't wait to finally pick this up.
I had never seen the film uncut (only local TV broadcasts) until i bought the first DVD release many years ago. Imagine my shock, seeing things no man should ever see. Scary in many ways.
Check out Southern Comfort too, very similar, but also a good movie.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Rick....I am familiar with Southern Comfort, as I'm Cajun! My father loved it, but viewing it today, I have mixed feelings about how we're portrayed.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
ScottR said:
Rick....I am familiar with Southern Comfort, as I'm Cajun! My father loved it, but viewing it today, I have mixed feelings about how we're portrayed.
Probably kind of how I felt about Raising Arizona. I've never heard anyone in Arizona talk like that. I still think the movie is a riot though.
Doug

Manus

Second Unit
Hd-Dvd on order # 2 ! already got , Casablanca , Forbidden Planet , Mutiny on the Bounty and Grand Prix , Warner's keep em coming :)
~M~

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Really looking forward to the BD. I have the old R2 release (with a very strange 2.55:1 aspect ratio - similar to the original The Great Escape release...), so the HD version will be a revelation!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Burt reminded my of Marlon Brando when he was younger. He had that raw, masculine, brooding sense about him.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Gotta grab this, the SD I rented recently had what was possibly the worst PQ I've yet seen in my HT.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
There are only 2 movies that forever changed my opinion of adventuring in the woods and this was one of them! Blair Witch Project was the other.

Note to self: Always pack a 9mm

Jeff

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Mark Bendiksen said:
LOL....well said. Definitely one of Burt Reynolds' better performances as well, IMHO.
And a film that supports Roger Ebert's moustache theory regarding Burt.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris, do you have any thoughts on the vast differences in the colour timing and contrast of the new transfer to the previous transfer? Here's the DVD Beaver comparison. Any idea why the title on the opening credits is different, ie. in all CAPITALS?

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Did anyone see DELIVERANCE in its original release? As I recall the first run prints were in desaturated color... almost black and white. This was a short lived trend in the early 70's. Two other examples were FAT CITY and THE THREE MUSKETEERS. Does anyone else remember this? I doubt we'd see the color timed this way for dvd, but as I recall, that was the intent for some films of that period. (Lester had reportedly wanted to shot MUSKETEERS in black and white and the muted prints were the compromise.)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Jim*Tod said:
Did anyone see DELIVERANCE in its original release? As I recall the first run prints were in desaturated color... almost black and white. This was a short lived trend in the early 70's. Two other examples were FAT CITY and THE THREE MUSKETEERS. Does anyone else remember this? I doubt we'd see the color timed this way for dvd, but as I recall, that was the intent for some films of that period. (Lester had reportedly wanted to shot MUSKETEERS in black and white and the muted prints were the compromise.)
I don't remember the Three Musketeers being desaturated. In fact it had deeply saturated reds and blues. I probably saw that thing 20 times in the theater.
Doug

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
LDfan said:
There are only 2 movies that forever changed my opinion of adventuring in the woods and this was one of them! Blair Witch Project was the other.
Note to self: Always pack a 9mm
Jeff
I've been fishing in that river for Smallmouth bass and Brown Trout. We took a gun but didn't get to shoot anybody, damn!
I have the BD preordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks