What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ David Lean Directs Noel Coward -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Scott Calvert said:
I think I read that once- isn't that PKD? "Do Digital B's Go Invisible S?"
I'm afraid not. My usage of "BS" is strictly old-school :)
I knew my correspondence course in cryptanalysis would come in handy, though this wasn't much of a challenge. The word 'school' is a dead giveaway; David Lean was British; therefore Scott is referring to the BSDM (not to be confused with that other acronym): the (old) British School of Digital Manipulation.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just got this box from the Criterion sale. I've only watched Brief Encounter so far and it looks fantastic!

But now I'm yearning for more David Lean on Blu-ray. I just discovered that there is a region-free Blu-ray of Great Expectations available in the UK from a company called ITV. It's quite reasonably priced, though I wonder if it Is this the same source as the Criterion DVD. Should I get this ITV Blu-ray or wait for Criterion? It could be a very long wait.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's not the same source as the old Criterion DVD - it's another of the films restored by the BFI and Granada (now ITV) in association with the David Lean Foundation to celebrate his centenary in 2008. Having said that, I'm licking my lips at the prospects - hopefully - of another Lean box from Criterion.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
John Hodson said:
It's not the same source as the old Criterion DVD - it's another of the films restored by the BFI and Granada (now ITV) in association with the David Lean Foundation to celebrate his centenary in 2008. Having said that, I'm licking my lips at the prospects - hopefully - of another Lean box from Criterion.
John, the Lean/Coward box has all the films restored by BFI/Granada, so does that mean that the Blu-ray from ITV is better than the Criterion DVD? And will the Criterion Blu-ray (whenever they get to it) be the same source as the ITV Blu-ray?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mark-P said:
John, the Lean/Coward box has all the films restored by BFI/Granada, so does that mean that the Blu-ray from ITV is better than the Criterion DVD? And will the Criterion Blu-ray (whenever they get to it) be the same source as the ITV Blu-ray?
Check out the Beaver's comparison. When / if Criterion get round to it, they'll be using the same restored source, but I'd expect them to improve, however slightly, on it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
John Hodson said:
Check out the Beaver's comparison. When / if Criterion get round to it, they'll be using the same restored source, but I'd expect them to improve, however slightly, on it.
Darn, I forgot to check the Beav! It's definitely worth importing then.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
just picked up this set at the last B&N sale.

My son wanted Brief Encounter (and would rather that had been a separate release).

I have always enjoyed Blithe Spirit. I don't know if I would call the Blu-Ray stunning. When it looked good, that term would be accurate, but I thought it had the same flickering as The Man Who Knew Too Much (whose transfer has been blasted here on HTF). However I find both films to be very watchable PQ-wise (not to mention content wise).

I had never seen the other two.In Which We Serve was brilliant. Definitely a keeper.

As for This Happy Breed, it was good. Very good. But I may end up selling it off on its own.

Still - three films for under $45 isn't bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks