What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Casablanca -- in HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Greg Layton

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg Layton
Thanks for this thread, folks. I just ordered this off Amazon and can't wait to watch it again, for the first time! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Obviously, opinions may vary due to equipment, expectations and personal visual differences, but I still stick to my comments in this thread. By the way which version of the SD DVD you compared to the HD DVD?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have the 2001 SD DVD. I want to stress that I am not disappointed with the HD DVD presentation. And I'm fully cognizant that my gear is no where near "top of the line". Also, I'm not saying that Blade Runner is a better transfer than Casablanca (though perhaps it may have seemed that way). I'm not technically savvy enough to make that judgement and, frankly, Casablanca is a fair bit higher up on my list of favourite films than Blade Runner. But I do think the level of improvement on Blade Runner vs that of Casablanca (in relation to each one's SD presentation) is greater with Blade Runner. But, with the exception of Blade Runner, so far, no HD DVD vs SD DVD comparison of the same movie has yielded the kind of "leap" in quality that HD cable vs crappy SD analogue cable in my setup. I understand why that is, but a lot of people who've seen my gear don't "get all the fuss". They have all, without exception, expressed some variation of "WOW" when I've done the HD to SD cable comparison but on the very same system, HD to SD DVD (except with Blade Runner) has gotten much more muted responses. I think that speaks to the quality of SD DVDs and video processing in players and/or displays rather than to a disappointment with HD DVD's quality (I don't yet have Blu-ray, but I doubt it would be any different).

For sure I would encourage anyone who was looking to get Casablanca (and who was appropriately equipped) to get the HD DVD. However, with a smallish display (say 42 inches and under) and good video processing, the SD presentation may seem quite close to the HD DVD without a more than casual effort at discerning the improvements.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Had trouble finding a "Casablanca" thread.

Here is the Ron Haver commentary from the Criterion laser disk.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Had trouble finding a "Casablanca" thread.

Here is the Ron Haver commentary from the Criterion laser disk.

Haven't heard these Ronald Haver commentaries in eons. Most enjoyable!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
A 4k disc is supposedly coming for the 80th anniversary in November. Hoping for a lavish package to celebrate one of the all time greatest movies ever made.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
A 4k disc is supposedly coming for the 80th anniversary in November. Hoping for a lavish package to celebrate one of the all time greatest movies ever made.
Hopefully something interesting and not letters of transit with luggage tags or shot glasses inscribed with "Here's looking at you, kid", "Round up the usual suspects", and "Play it, Sam." No music box playing "As Time Goes By". Funny I can think of lots of things I don't want but none that I do. Documentaries and books about the making of the film already exist. Commentaries have been done. I believe there is only one window exterior used in the film that still exists on the Warner Bros. lot. There are no cut scenes to see. The shooting script has been published in the past. Picture books with glossy photos from the film have been done. Other than repeating what has been done before I don't know what a box set would look like.

There was an All Star Tribute to Ingrid Bergman on a recreation of Rick's Cafe. Only clip I could find is dubbed in a foreign language but it is of Jimmy Stewart introducing actors who were still alive and at the tribute from Casablanca including Dooley Wilson (Sam) and Paul Henreid (Victor Laszlo).

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Other than repeating what has been done before I don't know what a box set would look like.
HD scans of the extras, inclusion of lobby cards and/or replica of original movie program, several original poster artworks reduced to 6x5 and printed on cardstock, sturdy slipcover with main original poster art. It can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks