What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Casablanca -- in HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I missed the first run prints of Casablanca by 18 years, I'm sorry to say. If there's anything you can do about that, I'm all ears.

Facetiousness aside, as I mentioned in the review I've seen theatrical 35mm presentations that didn't look as good as the DVD. I'm well aware myself that old film is not = to poor quality. I was speaking to the remarks that others have made that only current films can benefit from HD presentations, and I was trying to disabuse them of that notion. Apparently I did so clumsily. I meant to convey something akin to the following:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

I read your review in the context that you just described. Bob, your points are well taken about the problem with many contemporary reviewers (and enthusiasts) who don't understand the first thing about the appearance of projected film. But I think that Mark's comments were more resonate with your own thoughts than you may have first gathered. My sense of his review was that he was trying to expose this myth about "old movies" not benefiting from HD the same way that you were, though his remarks and phrasing was geared towards a less film-educated audience.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
According to a dvdtown review, the film has been cropped on the top. But here's the weird thing..they say that the SD was too and that both versions have the same amount of picture info. How does the review know that the top was cropped if both versions yield the same vertical info?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After finally sitting down and watching this disc from beginning to end, I must say that with over 100 discs either on HD DVD or Blu-ray, this is the most impressive one to me. I had a grin from ear to ear as I observed my display during those magnificent 102 minutes of pure cinema.

Warner should be very proud of their efforts!

Crawdaddy

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Mark:

My post was not specifically intended as a shot at your review. To the extent it appeared that way, then it was MY verbal clumsiness. Please accept my initial observation that it was "a nice review" (and since I'm a sometimes curmudgeonly book editor, that's more praise than I often extend to my authors. :) )

Rather, I selfishly used your thoughts as a jumping-off point for the issues of the longtime quality of film imagery and the widespread innocence (especially by less aware writers than yourself) of how those classic films of decades ago actually looked.

Under different circumstances, I would alter my original post. But since I received a modest compliment on it from no less than Mr. Harris, there's no bloody way I'm going to change it. :D

But please do accept my apology for missing your full intentions.

Best,
Bob

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In an attempt not to sound like a textbook, there are a myriad of problems in restoring a film such as Casablanca photochemically.

Having been misused for decades, overprinted, shipped into questionable hands for odd reasons...

the Oneg now is at best incomplete. Old dupes are what they are, and if no old fine grain is extant, grain and contrast continue to rise as the film is restored.

It is only via digital restoration techniques, which added many new tools, that we have any ability to even out shot-to-shot problems, to literally take shots back in time, and generations, by reducing grain, contrast, dirt and wear, and to attempt to create, as Warner has, what gives the appearance of being a cohesive motion picture, all of a unit, and original.

This is why prints manufactured over the past three or four decades have been unable to replicate the look of the originals.

Then we have the reduction in silver content...

RAH

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Postman delivered my order from Amazon today and I just finished watching the HD-DVD release of "Casablanca".

Outstanding.

Luminous.

Beautiful.

This disc is a must-own for anyone who appreciates classic cinema and well crafted film making. The high definition VC-1 transfer on this release is simply breathtaking! Bravo Warner!

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

I watched it tonight, and my feelings echo yours, Robert. This film is an emotional powerhouse, and those emotions are conveyed even more deeply through this beautiful presentation. What a great film, and what a tremendous high def presentation.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Got mine today as well. Was supposed to be here yesterday....Haven't watched it yet but plan on it this weekend! Can't wait! :) It was really exciting opening up that amazon box and finding the treasure Casablanca inside. :cool:

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Well, my two latest editing projects -- one book on video compression techniques and one on QuickTime Pro -- ending up being more lucrative than anticipated so I purchased a new projector. "Robin Hood" and "The Searchers" looked really sweet in Westwood tonight!!

I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to putting "Casablanca" on that screen. C'mon , send me my discs!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Is anyone else having trouble finding Casablanca and Forbidden Planet at a brick and mortar store? Best Buy says that the computer shows it being "active" but that they don't have any in the store. I get pretty much the same story no matter what store I goto.

I finely gave up and ordered it from Amazon.

Doug

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The local Best Buy had Forbidden Planet HD DVD on the shelf (but not the Ultimate with HD) on Wednesday, so at least some stores got their allocations.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Interesting. I can't find a single store in the Phoenix area that has either Casablanca or Forbidden Planet.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
believe or not but i never seen casablance. ok, the dvd is out for some time but i never was eager to pick it up. now we have new medium which gives you the chance to see it. i just ordered the hd-dvd and i'm looking forward seeing this film for the first time :)

oh, btw ... the comments from mr. harris about this hd-dvd release helped me to click "place order" on this title ;)

Mike.P

Second Unit
Not a single B & M down here has it, or even the knowledge of its existence.

Gonna have to turn to Amazon, I spose.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman

I was at Fry's Electronics on Thunderbird and I-17 this evening and saw three copies of "Casablanca." They have the widest selection of HD DVD in Phoenix with most discs priced at $19.99 except for the combos. I noticed they also had "Mutiny on the Bounty" and "Forbidden Planet" (including the collector tin version). There is also a Fry's Electronics on Baseline Rd. and I-10. I'd drive over before Black Friday... Good luck.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
A package from Amazon arrived in my mailbox today. Lo and behold it's Casablanca. I have never seen this movie before but will most likely set aside some time this weekend to watch it with my wife. :) She's never seen it either. I would never have purchased this either if it wasn't for this review.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I envy you, seeing it for the first time in such a beautiful presentation. And with your wife no less! What a great way to spend an evening. :D

Geoffy

Grip
Forgive the rather pedestrian question, but does the HD release carry all the extra features of the DVD special edition?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks