What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Casablanca (70th Anniversary) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Was eye-balling the one disc at Tarjay.. but as per typical.. I'm interested in all the disc content but not the swag. Any hope of a release somewhere between the two?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
dpippel said:
I've done it plenty of times. You rate the condition of your item and mail it to them. They cover the postage. Once it's received you get the trade-in amount if it's in the condition you indicated. If it's not you can choose to have Amazon return it to you AT THEIR COST or accept a lesser trade-in amount based on their assessment of condition. What's "dicey" about that? Nothing.
So you really don't get money almost instantly, you have to wait until they get it, then you only get a credit, which, in my experience, is always much less than I get by selling it. And when I sell something, I get paid as soon as i print the label.
What's dicey is, if you read the details, they do not guarantee you the amount promised initially. They reserve the right to tell you after the fact that they made a mistake in the offer rate.
Since they began the trade-in offers, I've been looking at what they offer and it was never worth considering. On the other hand, I've been surprised at how much I get by selling through. Unless they have changed their trade-in policy to raise the credit amount, I still see the marketplace as a better deal for me. The process is no more complicated than the trade-in. It just pays more. I highly recommend it.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
KPmusmag said:
I have and I think it is a lot of fun, and gives a sense of the context of the time the movie was made. I also like the Night at the Movies included with the blu-ray of THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD. Another one that comes to mind is a short included on the DVD of Bette Davis' OLD ACQUAINATNCE called "Stars on Horseback". I think it is great that Warner's includes these goodies, and they have been doing it for a long time. I bought the Night at the Movies edition VHS of DAYS AND WINE AND ROSES way back in 1983 and it included a trailer for GYPSY and a Looney Tune called "Martian in Georgia". I can't recall if there were any other shorts as I lost the tape in a move, but at the time I thought it such a great idea. Of course, it is really just the shorts playing one after another, there is no filler of dancing hot dogs or El Capitan-style Hooray for Hollywood hoopla. But try putting the lights at half as Night at the Movies starts, getting your snacks and drinks, and then dim the lights all the way as the feature starts. Just like going to the movies in the good old days.
ef17f319_DWR_1962.jpeg
I have noticed Warners including shorts and cartoons for years on DVD, but they haven't, as far as I know, ever offered the option to play through them in sequence... until now.
I don't believe Warners included things like Filmack's famous dancing hot dogs, or "Let's all go to the Lobby" like you see at the Vista, and I know they don't do any kind of curtain prologue like the El Cap (wouldn't either be cool?) I doubt that material would cost so much to license, or they could just create their own.
Warners have SO MUCH of this material that they own outright, and I would like to see them include these things with a play through feature more often, including new releases.
Disney Definitely should, every feature they sent out well into the 70s had some kind of cartoon or short with it.
The idea of shorts and featurettes is something that even theatres and movie channels need to revisit. In its early years, even HBO used to run shorts in between the features. Anyone remember De Duva (The Dove) a Bergman parody, or John Canemaker's animated Street Freaks?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
eric scott richard said:
I remember the HBO short where the tape eats the man...what was that called?
What kind of tape? Remember one circa 76 I think it's called The Tennis Lesson? A guy alone with a ball throwing machine and a recorded instructor...

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
NY2LA said:
I have noticed Warners including shorts and cartoons for years on DVD, but they haven't, as far as I know, ever offered the option to play through them in sequence... until now.
Actually, most of the WB DVDs, where the extras were listed as Warner Night At The Movies included the Play All feature. I know that the original Errol Flynn set (Captain Blood/Sea Hawk/Dodge City/etc.) and the original Gangsters box (Little Caesar/Public Enemy/White Heat/etc.) did. You had the option of playing the individual pieces, or the full group - often introduced by Leonard Maltin.
Both of these sets go back to 2005.
David

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
NY2LA asked:
Anyone remember De Duva (The Dove) a Bergman parody, or John Canemaker's animated Street Freaks?
Yes, I do remember De Duva, an inspired, fond parody. Whether you are a Bergman fan or not, you will love this short. Wish it were available to view once more.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Yes... I remember THE DOVE. Probably the first time I ever saw Madeline Kahn, though her role was very tiny. They really nailed the black and white look of the Bergman films and the ersatz Swedish with English subtitles was great. (Subtitle: "I must go do the laundry." Ersatz Swedish: " I been doin' dah washin' now.")

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Weicker said:
Actually, most of the WB DVDs, where the extras were listed as Warner Night At The Movies included the Play All feature. I know that the original Errol Flynn set (Captain Blood/Sea Hawk/Dodge City/etc.) and the original Gangsters box (Little Caesar/Public Enemy/White Heat/etc.) did. You had the option of playing the individual pieces, or the full group - often introduced by Leonard Maltin.
Both of these sets go back to 2005.
David
Apparently none on any movies i wanted... And i can't tell you how tired of Maltin I'm getting, especially when he is forced on us like in cartoon sets...

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
bujaki said:
NY2LA asked:
Anyone remember De Duva (The Dove) a Bergman parody, or John Canemaker's animated Street Freaks?
Yes, I do remember De Duva, an inspired, fond parody. Whether you are a Bergman fan or not, you will love this short. Wish it were available to view once more.
I was working on something at Warners and George Coe was in it. It was a long shoot and I cornered him to ask about The Dove. He said he had made a deal for it to be on some DVD of shorts, and I think I've seen it listed somewhere but hard to find.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim*Tod said:
Yes... I remember THE DOVE. Probably the first time I ever saw Madeline Kahn, though her role was very tiny. They really nailed the black and white look of the Bergman films and the ersatz Swedish with English subtitles was great. (Subtitle: "I must go do the laundry." Ersatz Swedish: " I been doin' dah washin' now.")
OMG I saw it on HBO several times and had already experienced a couple Bergman movies, thought it was funny, and then I caught onto what they were saying and it was even funnier.
Naked romp in the beginning: "Inga! Komen Heren!"
He falls on the way: "Yesus Kriesty!"
Madeline offers cigar to Inga: "Phalliken Symbol?"
Dove shits on Death: "Aah, Duva Schmata!"
"Andye yust hada schmata vashen!"

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/319152/a-few-words-about-casablanca-70th-anniversary-in-blu-ray/180#post_3913242
So you really don't get money almost instantly, you have to wait until they get it, then you only get a credit, which, in my experience, is always much less than I get by selling it. And when I sell something, I get paid as soon as i print the label.
What's dicey is, if you read the details, they do not guarantee you the amount promised initially. They reserve the right to tell you after the fact that they made a mistake in the offer rate.
Since they began the trade-in offers, I've been looking at what they offer and it was never worth considering. On the other hand, I've been surprised at how much I get by selling through. Unless they have changed their trade-in policy to raise the credit amount, I still see the marketplace as a better deal for me. The process is no more complicated than the trade-in. It just pays more. I highly recommend it.
To each their own, but again I strongly disagree with your opinion that it is in ANY way dicey. Trust me, it's not. I've done business with Amazon this way many, many times and have never had a single solitary issue. If you feel that selling directly works best for you then great, knock yourself out. But try to refrain from making negative assessments about a program you've never participated in. And again, we were specifically discussing the trade-in value Amazon was offering for the older Casablanca Blu-ray releases in this thread. Obviously not all of the their offers will be as lucrative.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I promise you, there is nothing dicey about using Amazon.

Have traded in titles countless of times and never have I
not been given the promised estimated amount.

You just have to be honest when you do the trade-in. If
the title you are trading is anything but in pristine
condition, you do have to note that. Only then will you
get less than the amount you were estimated based on
your submittal.

Once Amazon gets your titles your account is credited
immediately.

Amazon is the best! My Casablanca box was damaged during shipping and they sent out a new one before I even had the chance to send the first one back! Also, two items were lost in transit and they took care of it within seconds! Nothing but positives for this company.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ronald Epstein said:
I promise you, there is nothing dicey about using Amazon.
Have traded in titles countless of times and never have I 
not been given the promised estimated amount.
You just have to be honest when you do the trade-in.  If
the title you are trading is anything but in pristine 
condition, you do have to note that.  Only then will you
get less than the amount you were estimated based on
your submittal.
Once Amazon gets your titles your account is credited
immediately.
Ron, I've been to the site, I've read their policy pages and I know how it works. You're reacting as if I was denigrating the integrity of the entire company. What looks dicey for me is the fact that they tell you they do not guarantee the price they offer for the trade in, which is among the other less than attractive things posted in their policy page re trade-ins. It's not like I'm making anything up.
I too, have been using Amazon for years, (from the early days when their customer service was amazingly good) and for me the Marketplace option is working out just great. I have mentioned here more than once, I get very good prices in Amazon Marketplace and have yet to see a trade in prince on anything I was selling that was worth considering.
And once again the minute I generate the mailing label I get paid. Immediately. To my bank account.
"Say Goodnight, Gracie"

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
dpippel said:
But try to refrain from making negative assessments about a program you've never participated in.
Ditto to you re the marketplace option that is just as easy and pays more.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/319152/a-few-words-about-casablanca-70th-anniversary-in-blu-ray/180#post_3913376
Ditto to you re the marketplace option that is just as easy and pays more.

I made no comments about Amazon Marketplace (which I've also used many times BTW) other than to say you have to wait for the buyer to come to you, which is a statement of simple fact. The same goes for any buyer/seller service whether it be Amazon, eBay, Craigslist, etc.

Now, let's drop it shall we? Back to our regularly sheduled program...

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
dpippel said:
I made no comments about Amazon Marketplace (which I've also used many times BTW) other than to say you have to wait for the buyer to come to you, which is a statement of simple fact. The same goes for any buyer/seller service whether it be Amazon, eBay, Craigslist, etc.
What you said was how often you think things sat unsold: "Days... weeks... months" which is a subjective opinion. I made several simple statements of fact that at every turn I have gotten far more money than the trade in credit. And we clearly were both talking about trade-in vs sell in general vs only this title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks