What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Captain America: The Winter Soldier -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Brian McP said:
two things that come to mind seeing this movie, two excellent in-jokes that one has to have very keen eyes to pick up on...
I didn't catch the Newman reference, but check out the shot of the tombstone at the end for another quick reference.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Thanks RAH for commenting on something current and commercial. I will definitely see it. I like these Marvel films- kind of like the old studio system mixed with mythological peplum. I look forward to it as I watch Thor 2 .

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Thought the 3D was a complete waste on this one (as it is on so many action movies). I would have preferred a 2D presentation much more given the material. But since Hollywood insists on pushing 3D down our throats all of the big movie theaters (IMAX, RPX, ETX, etc) have it showing in 3D only unless I want to drive about 2 hours from here. I understand there are some that like 3D, I'm fine with that, but at least give us mixed showings so the consumers that DON'T want 3D can still see them on the bigger screens. I bet the cinemas would be surprised how many would turn out for those shows in comparison.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The theater I saw it at has a single screen and has alternating 2D and 3D presentations. I opted for the 2D showing.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I thought the 3D was actually really good in the film-- MUCH better than in IRON MAN 3, which I thought was a headache-inducing mess. We saw it at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood in IMAX and we were all impressed with the clarity of the visuals.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or-3D-Buy-Right-Captain-America-Winter-Soldier-Ticket-42391.html
Kris Deering said:
Thought the 3D was a complete waste on this one (as it is on so many action movies). I would have preferred a 2D presentation much more given the material. But since Hollywood insists on pushing 3D down our throats all of the big movie theaters (IMAX, RPX, ETX, etc) have it showing in 3D only unless I want to drive about 2 hours from here. I understand there are some that like 3D, I'm fine with that, but at least give us mixed showings so the consumers that DON'T want 3D can still see them on the bigger screens. I bet the cinemas would be surprised how many would turn out for those shows in comparison.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Persianimmortal said:
My friends and I used to go to the movies almost every week, just for the fun of it (even though many of the movies themselves were ultimately garbage). But all of the mobile phone users, talkers, loud eaters and candy bag rustlers just ruin the immersion of a good movie for me now.
I guess it's all about timing. My wife and I went to see Captain America tonight (Monday) at 7 PM and all twenty or so audience members were as quiet as church mice once the film started.
---------------

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
ScottHM said:
I guess it's all about timing. My wife and I went to see Captain America tonight (Monday) at 7 PM and all twenty or so audience members were as quiet as church mice once the film started.
---------------
I think I say this anytime we start talking about the theater experience, but it's extremely rare we have an issue going to a 10 am to noon'ish show on Saturday morning. The theater generally isn't crowded and the people are normally quiet. Sure, there's an one-off here or there (had some problems back in Detroit over Christmas), but those are the exceptions. When we saw Cap 2 on Thursday night as a double header with Cap 1, we had no problem at all...all was quiet, no one got up, no rustling, no talking, no texts, etc.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Robert Harris said:

While screening, I was constantly thinking that this was one film that is best not seen on an iPhone.

Whispered comment between my 17 year old daughter and I during the (very enjoyable) climactic battle sequence: "This looks expensive."

Also laughed out loud at the biblical verse on the tombstone near the film's end. A fun wink towards film fans. Why should the comic fans get all the Easter Eggs, right? :)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Brian McP said:
Also in the opening scene, Captain America shows a colleague a notepad he's been keeping and taking notes on what he has to catch up on after 70 years out of action -- I'm in Australia and on the list included a number of iconic Australian items like "tim tams" and "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" -- I don't know if the list is different from country to country, but I think it is very imaginative on the producer's part to go to this trouble -- it got a good laugh in the theatre I saw the movie at on the weekend so it was inspired thinking on their part.
Er, I'm pretty sure that was localized--
In the US version, he needs to catch up on I Love Lucy, Steve Jobs, and Nirvana...And other things Australia doesn't know about. ;)

(And so help me, I actually dimly remember Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. Well, the theme song, anyway.)

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Which seems pretty silly if you think about it - the hero's name is Captain America, and his backstory is set entirely in the US. Why would he need to catch up with Australian TV shows and food products he's missed, especially as some of them (like Skippy and Tim Tams) are completely unknown to most Americans anyway? Now if they'd localized the entire film, so that it was Captain Australia, that would be another thing altogether :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Speaking of the blu-ray for Winter Soldier, any word on what the eventual Marvel One-Shot might be? They've done some nice work on these in the past, and it's another reason to look forward to the blu-ray releases.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Brian McP said:
At one stage Robert Redford, in his kitchen, opens his refrigerator -- if you look closely, you may see a familiar face grinning away from out of it -- there on the top shelf is a jar of Newman's Own pasta sauce. Also in the opening scene, Captain America shows a colleague a notepad he's been keeping and taking notes on what he has to catch up on after 70 years out of action -- I'm in Australia and on the list included a number of iconic Australian items like "tim tams" and "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" -- I don't know if the list is different from country to country, but I think it is very imaginative on the producer's part to go to this trouble -- it got a good laugh in the theatre I saw the movie at on the weekend so it was inspired thinking on their part.
There were several lists for different parts of the world. Below are the American and (I assume) British versions.
image.jpg
I believe all the lists are the same from Thai Food down and vary above that depending on the region.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Persianimmortal said:
That's if they don't decide to "reboot" them every ten years or so, like they have with Spider-Man.
Don't blame Marvel for that; blame Sony. Marvel has its films mapped out through 2028, and the only characters likely to be recast anytime soon would be Iron Man (since RDJ's contract is almost up) and Captain America (which will be resolved by making Bucky Barnes the new Captain).

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Regarding going to theaters...

I recently upgraded from a 65" display to a JVC front projection set-up (sitting about 9.5 feet back from 108" wide, 2:35:1 screen) in a blacked out dedicated room and let me tell you, it's an amazing experience. Yes, I'll still go to the theater once in a great while, but I am not missing out on very much let me tell you.

Looking forward to catching this when it comes to Blu..and Robert, looking forward to watching the Blu of Lawrence of Arabia soon. :)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I enjoyed the first Captain America, because it was set in the forties, fighting the Nazi's & it had that Republic serials vibe to it, right down to the baddie & the design of his weapons & craft. I won't bother with the new one, I'm sure it's very good, but all these superhero films look a bit interchangeable to me, bash crash, great special effects, more bash crash, but at 63 I'm probably not the target audience.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Billy Batson said:
I enjoyed the first Captain America, because it was set in the forties, fighting the Nazi's & it had that Republic serials vibe to it, right down to the baddie & the design of his weapons & craft. I won't bother with the new one, I'm sure it's very good, but all these superhero films look a bit interchangeable to me, bash crash, great special effects, more bash crash, but at 63 I'm probably not the target audience.
The difference is the character. Cap, as someone else mentioned in another thread, is true blue, the most honest guy, the guy who brings those forties values to 2014-ish. Cap 1 was also bash and crash, but it sounds like the setting made you not notice that very much.

You're most likely right, you're not the target audience (I'm on the cusp of not being the target, either). But what does that matter? We can still enjoy these films and, more importantly, speak from a place of knowledge if we don't like them. You can't rightly criticize a movie you haven't seen.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Jason_V said:
The difference is the character. Cap, as someone else mentioned in another thread, is true blue, the most honest guy, the guy who brings those forties values to 2014-ish. Cap 1 was also bash and crash, but it sounds like the setting made you not notice that very much.

You're most likely right, you're not the target audience (I'm on the cusp of not being the target, either). But what does that matter? We can still enjoy these films and, more importantly, speak from a place of knowledge if we don't like them. You can't rightly criticize a movie you haven't seen.
...but I didn't criticize it did I. I said I'm sure it's very good. I've seen a few superhero films, & really don't fancy seeing any more. Sorry.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ok, I missed it. What was the deal with the tombstone?BTW, isn't the fact that Cap uses a paper notebook to write on a wry comment on how out of place he is? If he were current he'd be tapping the notes into a smartphone.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
'Captain America 2' is my favorite comic book hero film so far. Lots of action and adventure. Highly recommended!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks