What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

As I've suggested in the past, a knowledge of what a film actually should look like, or to put it in other terms, was "designed to look like," is quite helpful toward the task of reviewing Blu-ray discs. If one is simply viewing a disc cold, it all comes down to personal opinion. The folks at HDD work hard to keep the site updated and provide a quality database.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

That site just came out with a list of the worst Blu-rays for 2008. Aside from Butch Cassidy on that list, they've also listed some other titles (Carrie, Predator, etc.) which actually look very film-like and seem authentic to the source. It's too bad some so-called review authorities seemingly expect every release to look like eye candy or otherwise it's a failure.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Yea, i just read that stuff too. Glad to see a few are calling them out on Predator, for instance.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
You're certainly the better statesman.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I don't want to come across too harsh. Overall, it's one of the best BD related websites out there, and I visit it several times each week. However, I've learned to take their video reviews with a dash of skepticism, especially for older catalog titles such as Butch Cassidy for the reasons you outline.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I just finished watching this and I thought it looked pretty good. Got it for under $15, so I'm happy to have this in my small collection of blu-rays.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I purchased this Blu-Ray based on RAH's review of it here,
and I could not be happier.

I guess this is what comes from making an
"informed decision" before buying a title on Blu-Ray.

Thanks, Robert!

Greg_M

Screenwriter

I agree much of the film has stood the test of time, except in one area which never worked for me and has gotten worse as time has past - the score, while much is brilliant the 60's pops sections (esp in the Bolivia sections of the film) ruin it. They were out dated even by the re-release in 1973 and never remotely of the time period in which the film is set. Today they seem laughable and give the film a dated quality taking the viewer out of the 1900's west and place us into Mod 1968 and the summer of Bacharach

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Bought this today, along with Quo Vadis and The Wild Bunch. I haven't seen it, but I'm sure I'll like it
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
. That's why blind buys are the most fun sometimes.
By the way, Greg, Sam Peckinpah used a couple of Bob Dylan songs in 'Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid'. I don't see it as a film that's becoming dated, but more as film as a product of it's time. I think you have to see a film that way.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Bonus Feature comment: I just (tried) listening to the second commentary track, the one with screen writer William Goldman. Man, this man bitches, moans and goes off on all kinds of tangents and rants about the film industry, expletives and raised voice enhanced, much of which have nothing to do with the specifics of BC&TSK.

Someone give this man a hug (and a Prozac).

Apparently working in the film industry really sucks, no one is ever happy,
and everything released these days is bad.

Forgive me for thinking a commentary track would be about insights
into this film and not how every summer folks try to make "shit" like
Jaws and The Forty-Year-Old Virgin.

I would consider Goldman's commentary a "toxic asset" on this Blu-ray.

ugh! :thumbsdown:

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I've put off on buying this Blu-ray, but reading RAH's observations have helped me feel better about maybe going ahead and buying it.
But there are some things I'm not sure of ...

Recently, William Friedkin made a choice to change the color scheme and "old stock look" (for lack of a better description) of his THE FRENCH CONNECTION. Would I be right in saying it's a film from generally the same vintage and stock as BUTCH CASSIDY, yet it was able to be "enhanced"? Would I be mistaken in thinking that the same could be done for BUTCH CASSIDY?

It's just that I seem to recall RAH approving the "new look" to THE FRENCH CONNECTION. Myself, I have never seen THE FRENCH CONNECTION in its entirety but would like to.. so in that case I may not realize what I am "missing" so far as the gritty vintage '70s look of the movie is concerned. On the other hand, I know BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID very well. I did see it in the theater when it was re-released in the early '70s. I loved it but can't recall specifically what it looked like on the theatre screen.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Joe, I don't think you've got the right Friedkin film - the film he made a choice on was not The French Connection, which looks as it always has - it was The Boys In The Band. Never mind - I just saw a review of the Blu-Ray of Connection and apparently he has done something to that film, too. I have the Blu-Ray but haven't had a chance to check it out, but if it's the same transfer as the last DVD it looked like it looked in theaters. But maybe he's done something specifically to the Blu-Ray. Friedkin seems a little nutty and should leave his work alone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the french connection blu ray does have a different look,
at least different from the 5 star dvd from a few years ago.
much uproar ensued.

Freidkin changed the look of the film.

edit:
ah, now i just noticed you edited that info into your post.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Here's a question, related to this film. In 1979, the first prequel movie (yep, sit down, Star Wars fans!) popped up, Butch & Sundance: The Early Days. It was always kind of a favorite of mine as a kid, even though I knew then and know now that it's nowhere near the kind of film the classic original is. (Come on, it's Richard Lester!)

So, in the early 2000s, The Early Days came to DVD. I bought it.

I figured it was one of those movies that just wasn't ever going to come to blu-ray. Well, it did, in another region. I didn't buy that.

But now, I stumble on a four-pack of westerns on blu-ray, with Butch & Sundance: The Early Days. Could this possibly be a real HD transfer? For 8 bucks, I'm inclined to try, even if it's not. What do you think?

Here is the link: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00C81A...olid=3CKIZBTKXOLB0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
It wasn't t the first prequel movie. Nor was it a particularly good movie. Godfather Part II came before it and I don't think that was the first prequel either.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Here's a question, related to this film. In 1979, the first prequel movie (yep, sit down, Star Wars fans!) popped up, Butch & Sundance: The Early Days. It was always kind of a favorite of mine as a kid, even though I knew then and know now that it's nowhere near the kind of film the classic original is. (Come on, it's Richard Lester!)

So, in the early 2000s, The Early Days came to DVD. I bought it.

I figured it was one of those movies that just wasn't ever going to come to blu-ray. Well, it did, in another region. I didn't buy that.

But now, I stumble on a four-pack of westerns on blu-ray, with Butch & Sundance: The Early Days. Could this possibly be a real HD transfer? For 8 bucks, I'm inclined to try, even if it's not. What do you think?

Here is the link: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00C81A...olid=3CKIZBTKXOLB0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Yes it’s a real HD transfer. I have it. Grab yourself a copy while it’s still in print. You can check out screen captures here: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Butch-and-Sundance-The-Early-Days-Blu-ray/81268/#Screenshots

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Also according to Wikipedia, Butch & Sundance: The Early Days may have introduced the word "prequel" into the mainstream. I do recall newspaper articles at the time of the film's release saying it was the first prequel.

The idea of a story that takes place before another already known story has been around for a long time. The Cypria takes place before The Illiad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks