What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Buck Privates -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by John Morgan /t/319894/a-few-words-about-buck-privates-in-blu-ray/30#post_3917537
I think there are 28 Universal Abbott and Costello features, so couldn’t they fit (four films per disc) on 7 Blu Ray discs, or is four films per too much. Maybe 7 into 28 would be 13 films per disc.
Well played, Sir!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by John Morgan /t/319894/a-few-words-about-buck-privates-in-blu-ray/30#post_3917537
I think there are 28 Universal Abbott and Costello features, so couldn’t they fit (four films per disc) on 7 Blu Ray discs, or is four films per too much. Maybe 7 into 28 would be 13 films per disc.
Yes, kudos for that! I can do that routine in my sleep, I've seen it some many times. As I recall, the boys do it in both IN THE NAVY and THE LITTLE GIANT.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
And doesn't some of the mid 50s films have open matte instead of OAR?
Yes, KEYSTONE KOPS was composed for 2.1 and MEET THE MUMMY for 1.85. They have not been seen that way since the original theatrical release.
a84105d5_MummyWS.jpeg

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Bob Furmanek said:
Yes, KEYSTONE KOPS was composed for 2.1 and MEET THE MUMMY for 1.85. They have not been seen that way since the original theatrical release.
Well I guess we can blame that on television. To bad they still can't get it right.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I watched this last night, and it looked fantastic.
I wish it wasn't a digibook - can't stand them. I intend to change to a standard case with a custom cover
I only wish, since they went the expensive digibook way, that instead of including a DVD copy, they had included a CD with the songs. To me, that would have added more value to this package. Sure, a few of the Andrew Sisters songs are available elsewhere, but many of the songs aren't.
Oh hell, as long as I'm wishing for things - it would have been nice if they could have included an autograph from Patty Andrews, she's only 94
David

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just rewatched this today (along with portions of Hold That Ghost, In The Navy, and Road To Rio). Farewell Patty Andrews. I'm sure there will be some heavenly harmonies as you join your sisters Maxene and Laverne. David

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
For me, the best Andrew Sisters appearance is in the Abbott and Costello film IN THE NAVY. They have bigger parts and seem to be part of the plot, rather than "guest" appearances. Unfortunately, IN THE NAVY seems to be the worst looking film in that suitecase collection. Grainy and dupey. I no longer have the laser or earlier DVD release and wonder if the source was always weak.

U

UseY0ur1llusi0n

David Weicker said:
I watched this last night, and it looked fantastic.

Looked fantastic? I'm sorry, but this disc is a travesty. It has been scrubbed to death by Universal's typical heavy handed DNR. The DVD looks far more lifelike and natural.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
UseY0ur1llusi0n said:
Looked fantastic? I'm sorry, but this disc is a travesty. It has been scrubbed to death by Universal's typical heavy handed DNR. The DVD looks far more lifelike and natural.
To you perhaps. To David it looked fantastic. And while I think I could have looked better, it's far from a travesty in my opinion and much better than the DVD.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
To you perhaps. To David it looked fantastic. And while I think I could have looked better, it's far from a travesty in my opinion and much better than the DVD.
Having just given some of the 2008 DVD a fresh viewing, I think it looks great, but it doesn't appear to have a grainy look to my eyes, either! Based on that, I don't think the Blu-ray version could hardly help but look better with the higher resolution alone.

That said, I agree it's too bad that a noticeable amount of DNR was applied to the 2012 Blu-ray, especially on a BD-50 Disc!

Also, while it's well documented here that Bob Furmanek & Ron Palumbo's marvelous commentary wasn't included, did anyone at Universal ever go on record as to why it wasn't, especially considering that neither further financial compensation, nor Disc space was an issue?

By the way, isn't it interesting that Universal did retain the Gregory W. Mank commentary for their ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) 2012 Blu-ray release? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did!

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I only care about how the films look. No grain, no go.
Regarding the lack of grain for BUCK PRIVATES (1941), It appears that Universal did a better job with their subsequent ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) Blu-ray, at least. While I look forward to getting this as part of the upcoming FRANKENSTEIN: THE COMPLETE LEGACY COLLECTION Blu-ray set, I'm in no hurry to upgrade the former, if that's any indicator.

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks