What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Blade Runner -- in HD & BD (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I made it through about an hour and a half of Dangerous Days [it was a work night] and let me just say this:

Charlie D. you have outdone just about every other "bonus feature" I've seen on DVD/BD.

I remember back in 1998 when special features started to come out on DVD and I was as enthralled as everyone else. Over the years though it became clear that not all extras were created equal, and some...okay most...were hardly worth watching and/or listening to (check out Arnold's "commentary" on Conan).

Well Dangerous Days had me every bit as enthralled as the movie itself. This alone has made the purchase of this set worth it. And I got a pretty sweet Final Cut of one of my favorite movies in the process.

Dangerous Days is a prime example of what can happen when talent meets passion, and is a must-watch bonus feature for anyone who cares about the history and making of Blade Runner. It is equal parts history lesson, exposé, film school in a can, and just plain fun viewing. Very highly recommended! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The DNA of Special Features is found back with The Criterion Collection and the wonderful days of the laserdisc.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Very true. For me, Criterion will always be the gold standard. They are the true pioneers in this field and their uniformly stellar work continues to educate and inspire.

Having said that, I'm thrilled Carlo and others are enjoying the various "Blade Runner" sets. It was a long and winding road to be sure, but has ended up as the most satisfying experience of my career.

There are actually several other interesting behind-the-behind-the-scenes stories about "Blade Runner's" path over the last several years, and the various discoveries and attempts at restoration that have yet to be told. It's not quite an epic tale of heroes and villains...but there are plenty of twists and some nice helpings of piping hot intrigue.

Someday, perhaps...

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
My set came in the Post today, The packaging sure is wank-y. 3 of the 5 discs were loose.....the fates were kind to me though, no scratches of the highly visable nature after a good wipe.

Jrf2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
After being told my Hastings had only received one Blu copy and no HD DVD, I actually stopped by later and they had two HD DVD copies and no Blu copies. I've gotten through the Final Cut and Dangerous Days. This is the release of the year!!!

Charlie, if Blade Runner is Ridley's masterpiece, then this Final Cut DVD is yours. :)

Robert, now if only Vertigo on HD would get here!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Charles,

Thanks for dropping in. I must say the Blade Runner set has truly set a high water mark for all future releases. And Dangerous Days is fantastic. I had no idea it was over 3 hours until I glanced at the time on the player.

Great work!

Doug

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
OH MY GOD!!!

Just about the best thing I've ever seen. Watched the original US release and some of the extras last night and this is what all HDM (HD DVD for me) should be. Amazing job by all, and I can't wait to see the other versions. It's stunning that a 25 year old film can look this freaking good.

As an aside, I just know they substitiuted the original voiceovers for some almost dead, monotone Harrison Ford sound alike. I was one who loved the voiceovers in the original and used to pine for something other than the Director's Cut on DVD. Since years of listening to the fact that they were studio add-ons and hearing Ford and others bash the voiceovers could never ever make me rethink my 25 year old razor sharp memories, I smell a conspiracy!!!

BTW, I also saw "To Be Continued . . ." at the end of the first run of Back to the Future. ;)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I second that, Charles! While I have purchased the SD briefcase, I thnk the less expensive BD 5-disc set will be the item that will finally put me in the High Definition camp and make me buy a player.

Congratulations Charles (et al) on a definitive Blade Runner!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I picked up Blade Runner today on Blu-ray and all I can say after watching disc one (Final Edition), is WOW!!

Not only is the picture prestine but so is the Dolby True HD track. I have never seen this movie look so good on home video. The VHS release was horible and if I remember correctly the DVD release was not that great ether. But the HD release surpased all exspectations as it looks stunning, what HD is all about! I would highly recomend this title in HD as it is now a very welcome title in my HD library. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Charles,

I have been critical of Warner large format releases on HDM but I have to say there have been some very satisfying transfer of older stuff shot on 35mm.

Among these Blade Runner definitely takes the cake for best of the best both in quality and quantity of the material at hand - you can truly be proud of your work !

Oliver

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
So is anyoine finding the suite case blu-ray version at b/m stores like circuit city and best buy?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've been in a couple of Borders this week and each of them had one or two of all three versions of the briefcase (and I saw the SD and HD DVD briefcases at Best Buy on Tuesday- no Blu Ray briefcase though).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A very nice transfer. This set is the best that this film has looked since I first saw it in the theater. The only thing that marred this 'Final Cut" was the inclusion of the pointless Unicorn scene. Scott should have shaken the rocks out of his head and left it on the cutting room floor where it belonged. Other than that, all parties involved in the creation of this set have done, as Gaff would say, "a man's job".

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

mine was also "in the post" today.
and 2 discs were loose.

i picked the br briefcase.

i take a peak at this later tonight after i finish watching The Shinning blu-ray.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I gave myself an early Christmas and opened my suitcase last night.

Regarding the suitcase packaging, is anyone else feeling it's a little dissapointing? Not to put an excellent set down at all, I just felt a tad underwhelmed. The Syd Mead reprints of his gouache production design paintings I have in larger format printed in a book and looks much better there. And the toy Spinner is okay, actually pretty much what I expected after seeing the Robby The Robot figure included in the Forbidden Planet tin.

In the end, the 5 discs of the HD-DVD is what I really wanted, the suitcase is gravy. And it is a nice package to contain it all. I got it at an incredibly good price, so I'm not complaining to have the suitcase.

I did have a look at the Final Cut. Most Impressive! I only saw a couple of scenes, like the iris change and the Zora sequence crashing through the glass. It's seamless! I will sit and watch it from start to finish to really soak it in.

Happy Holidays!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

as far as the film goes, I would agree. I never bothered seeing the Directors Cut before, partly because the Deckard 'issue' idea didn't sit well with me, and partly because I grew to like the narration. Didn't on first viewing , but I eventually came to the think that it was a useful tool in this film, and that this mostly languid paced production would seem glacially slow with out it.
After watching the Final Cut, I felt right about the first point but wrong about the second. I'm glad I have the previous experience with the V.O. to know some of the things and attitudes going down, but for 'advanced' viewing, the absence of it works beautifully.

The only thing I miss in this set is a still galley of Syd Mead art like the Criterion LD had. That would have made it *perfect* for me- otherwise it really only rates a 97 or 98 out of a hundred ;)

Great job Charles. you deserve a vacation now.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
couldn't find the BD at any BB w/in 20 miles of where I live (went to five stores and gave up). Just ordered it from Amazon (the 5-disc, not the brief-case) for $27 shipped!

dave :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

You do realize that you can just bring up the set on the BB website and click "Check Preferred Store Availability" with a fair amount of accuracy, right? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks