What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Battlestar Galactica -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette

I think I will be holding off until I see what kind of packaging is going to be used for the individual season releases. I'm definitely not crazy about the complete series packaging, and since I've been watching this show from the beginning, I doubt I will be revisiting it immediately anyway. I will own it at some point however, as I love the show. It is one of the best series of all time in my book.
That assumes that they'll be going back and doing individual season releases. Given Universal's poor track record in releasing other shows in high-def at all, I wouldn't count on them doing a rerelease of this.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette

I think I will be holding off until I see what kind of packaging is going to be used for the individual season releases. I'm definitely not crazy about the complete series packaging, and since I've been watching this show from the beginning, I doubt I will be revisiting it immediately anyway. I will own it at some point however, as I love the show. It is one of the best series of all time in my book.
After i saw the packaging that The Digital Bits posted, i cancelled my Blu-ray box set order. For over $200 i should get more than cardboard, inside of more cardboard. I hate anything with a cardboard slip pocket. I know Blu-ray discs dont scratch easy, but i dont like dragging ANY discs out of a damn cardboard pocket!

I know, its the show that matters. But for collector pricing, i want quality packaging. LOVE the Star Trek season One Blu-ray package!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have season one on HD DVD (no problems with it yet), so I'd rather not have to buy the complete set if I can avoid it. If I can't, I'll wait a while for the price to come down (or my salary to go up--one can hope, right?).

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by RickER

I'm thinking about joining you in that. Especially since I can't find multidisc cases for sale anywhere.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
there is a post in a thread over on Blu-ray.com that has about 20 shots of the packaging from all angles. It seems like Universal could have easily used 3 double disc thin packs for each season and laid them on their side, rather than the 4 multi-disc cardboard accordion folders.
It also looks like the outer box doesn't fully seal when it isn't fully telescoped.

I'm not crazy about the packaging either, but I'm eager to get the show in as complete a form as possible and be done with it. I can always order 10 double sided regular Bd cases at some point and easily make my own jackets up. In any case the box will go in the closet with the cylon head from 6 years ago.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ATimson

That assumes that they'll be going back and doing individual season releases. Given Universal's poor track record in releasing other shows in high-def at all, I wouldn't count on them doing a rerelease of this.
I thought Universal already psuedo-announced individual season sets of this series?

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Blu-ray_Battlestar_Galactica_Single_Season_Sets_in_August/4988

I don't think these are coming in August after all though. They may not see a release until next year, but my general point was I can wait. It isn't like this set is going to sell out, and if it does you better believe they'll either a) make more or b) release them individually.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There will certainly be another release of the complete series with The Plan included. It may be in a year or two or three, but it will come.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

There will certainly be another release of the complete series with The Plan included. It may be in a year or two or three, but it will come.
Maybe but it'll most likely be the same exact set but with The Plan in it. I'm not waiting years just to possibly save $20 and to get The Plan in the same box as the rest of the episodes. If anything, I'll pick up the series set and wait for the extended version of The Plan that Olmos has talked about.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette /forum/thread/290593/a-few-words-about-battlestar-galactica-in-blu-ray#post_3588100

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
At some point they will run out of Cylon action figures, so I'd agree it is inevitable there will eventually be another edition.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Robert:

That prologue is superb.

Thank you for being, in my experience, the only Blu-ray commentator with a true film expert's perspective and the clarity to know that BD is a highly capable delivery media, not a visual style. Too many reviewers seem to think that placing content on Blu-ray Disc mandates that it should become the Candyland Cut, with high-contrast, over-saturated colors, and hyper-real detail.

My deepest fear is that their uneducated perceptions--and the conformed opinions of their lemming-like readers--will also reshape the objectives of studio executives who primarily want to secure profits by giving the public want they expect. In short order, film restoration could become film distortion, changing color timings and gamma curves to produce retina-searing imagery that has nothing to do with the intentions of the director, art director, and DP.

Blu-ray Disc gives us an unprecedented ability to see classic content at home in a manner extremely faithful to the original. (When I purchased my first front projector 25 years ago, I never dreamed this would happen.) Let's hope it lasts.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I believe those individual season releases are imports from Australia. As I said, they don't appear to be coming out in the US when High Def Digest indicated (i.e. August). Chances are very good the complete series Blu-ray print run is low, and if it performs well I think individual season releases are a real possibility during the relatively slow quarters leading up to Q4 2010.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
It wouldn't surprise me if they were from Australia. Here's a picture of UK's complete series set (the Aussie set is identical):

Looks good to me - a sturdy, plain container, with discs on secure hubs. (although the price is prohibitive - $300+ AUS!)

Edited by Nathan*W - 7/27/2009 at 06:42 pm GMT

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Nathan*W

Looks good to me - a sturdy, plain container, with discs on secure hubs. (although the price is prohibitive - $300+ AUS!)
The hubs proper may be secure, but their binding certainly isn't!

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan

The hubs proper may be secure, but their binding certainly isn't!
I dunno, my Star Trek DVDs have the same bound trays w/ cardboard slipcover, and they seem to be holding up just fine.

Edited by Nathan*W - 7/28/2009 at 12:31 pm GMT

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Wow, that aussie set is ugly as ugly can be. While the inside is certainly nice (I dig the slots for each box), that cover art is absolutely terrible. Plain black with the logo, like what appears to be on the booklet, would be perfect. The awkward profile shot of a bullethead is just stupid.

I prefer the North American release, as flimsy as the box may or may not be (I'll judge for myself tomorrow).

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Nathan*W

I dunno, my Star Trek DVDs have the same bound trays w/ cardboard slipcover, and they seem to be holding up just fine.
Maybe I'm just unlucky, then, but my Star Trek: Animated in that binding fell apart before I finished watching the show the first time through.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I've had no problems with my Star Trek sets, or any other set that uses clear packing tape for the 'spine hinge' on a stack of plastic trays. The UK/Aussie sets look far superior to the US box (which I just got in the mail today) in just about every single way - save for the graphics.
You would have thought that with all the complaints and returns Universal saw with the HD DVD sets, they would have wised up and went for functionality over form (which is what the UK did).
Nope.
They still push these retarded contraptions that look cute on paper and are generally despised in practical use.

What really sucks about this is, less than a year from now we'll likely see far simpler, better, more streamlined packaging show up- just like they did for the '78 show. They keep doing this ass backwards. It should be the simple, solid packaging first, then the stupid fanboy-appeal monstrosities down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks