1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Bambi II -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    I generally don't review or comment on sequels that come 60+ years after the original, but Bambi was the first film that I saw in a theater. I wasn't permitted to have home video as a child.

To be quite honest, I was expecting the worst. This film, which is really a mid-quel, takes place around halfway through the original.

And it's an interesting production. It makes use of original artwork and backgrounds, scanned for new use, original music, characters, etc.

While not up the either the story-telling or animated power of the original, this is a good film, and great entertainment for children. Technically, it's very interesting, and comparisons to the original abound.

Came in as a naysayer. Left as a believer.

Made by DisneyToon Studios, which was set up to create sequels. I've read that this was the final hand animated project from the group, but I don't know that for certain. Just passing information along as read.

Bambi II didn't have big shoes to fill.

It had HUGE shoes to fill, and even the idea would give many pause.

While this is not a classic in any sense of the word, it is a nice film.

No embarrassment here.

And one of the few newer films that can actually be recommended for children.

Nicely done.

RAH

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Well-Known Member

Paul
    My kids enjoyed it quite a bit. Don't know if I'll go so far as to buy it, but it might merit another rental in hi-def this time.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well.

THAT'S a surprise.

4. Brisby

Brisby Well-Known Member

We can get cheapquel crap like this and Fox & The Hound II on Blu-Ray, but not Aladdin, The Little Mermaid or Pocahontas? :(

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris

An interesting experiment.

6. Reagan

Reagan Well-Known Member

Reagan
    Ernest Rister would be rolling over in his grave if he read this. If he was actually in a grave, which he is not. But he does post over at some blu ray forum type place. Can't remember the name. -R

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
  8. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Considering the profession you have chosen and your interest in HT, would it be correct to describe that last statement as ironic?:)

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris

More what might be considered non-sequitor humor. As a child, television was just appearing, black & white, possibly 6" screens with magnifiers. That was my "home theater." We were early, possibly first in the neighborhood. People would come in to view the test pattern.

RAH

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Originally Posted by Robert Harris

11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I'm from near that period, though I can't remember screens quite that small. I do remember our first "color" tv. It was a b&w with a plastic overlay with horizontal colored stripes. Top to bottom it went blue, green, brown...something like that. Really worked good too.:rolleyes:

12. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    My parents were born in the 1950s, and they tell me that neither of them had color TV until the early 1970s. Nor do very many color photographs of them as children, if any, exist. And they were not poor.

13. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I didn't have colour TV as a child either, though I do recall memories of seeing Bambi in the theatre at about four years old. Ironically, the memory is associated with my first viewings of the poster for Jaws, which was playing in the adjacent theatre. My parents were not what you would call early adopters of technology (first colour TV in 1981, first VCR in 1986, first DVD player ~2000, and first BD player last year), and I would call myself a 2nd-gen adopter (first BD player in 08). I like the bugs to be mostly worked out first. I'll admit to initially being surpirsed by RAH's comments regarding this release, but upon discovering that Andreas Deja was involved, not surprised as much.

14. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

A mid-quel? I never heard of a mid-quel before. I wonder if it uses material from Felix Salten's novel. Bambi is a metaphysical story. The original film only used a small portion of the book, but it captured Salten's intentions brilliantly. I guess there is room for a mid-quel. As a connoisseur of vintage Disney, I have little tolerance for their current product, but I might give this mid-quel a look-see.

15. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Mid-quel, not my term, means that it took place in the middle of the original film.