What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Argo -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RBlenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Blenheim
It doesn't do any good to argue with someone who hates a film to the point of beling blind to even some positives in the production. I respect your not liking the film; I even respect some of your criticism. But you lose every rational person in your gigantic overstatement of being 'one of the worst pieces of crap I've seen....". Most of us who've watched films for a long time know crap when they see it. This doesn't qualify. Overstatements like this sends up a red flag about there being something going on inside a viewer beyond reacting to the film on the screen. I daresay a huge majority would disagree with your gigantic exaggeration, even while many were disappointed with the film. It isn't a piece of crap just because it failed to entertain you. The directing, for example, is very good as are the visuals, music, production values. There's lots of talent on the screen. Check out the extras on the bonus disc sold with the 3D bluray and you'll see the care and accuracy in, for example, designing the vehicles, and so much else in the planning of the film. Now I'm not saying that's enough to make it a good film (there are many I dislike, even hate, that have competence and care on a level almost as good as this one) but I'd say it precludes it being "a piece of crap".

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
RBlenheim said:
It doesn't do any good to argue with someone who hates a film to the point of beling blind to even some positives in the production.
It also doesn't do any good to argue with someone willing to forgive a movie even the most egregious stupidity because the director made a couple of good movies three decades earlier.
But you lose every rational person in your gigantic overstatement of being 'one of the worst pieces of crap I've seen....". Most of us who've watched films for a long time know crap when they see it. This doesn't qualify.
I don't feel that this is an overstatement. Any movie that aggressively assaults my intelligence qualifies as crap in my book, regardless of how nice its production design and visual effects are. Your mileage may vary. To each their own, but none of this has anything to do with Argo.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by Brett_M
Let's get back on track.
Who else thinks Clea Duvall is sexy in a librarian kind of way?
Your effort to get back on track is greatly appreciated, and I will respond in a secondary effort to get this thread back on track. Clea Duvall is sexy in a librarian kind of way.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Damn right she's sexy. I've had a thing for her since she played Wanda Ricketts on "Popular," 12 years ago. Hope Argo puts her onto the A list. It would be nice for this to be an Argo thread, not a Prometheus thread. Or whatever the heck people have been nagging about for several days... :(

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
RBlenheim said:
It doesn't do any good to argue with someone who hates a film to the point of beling blind to even some positives in the production.
Nor does it do any good to argue with someone who has convinced himself that another's differing opinion on subjective qualities of a movie is evidence of a failure of that person's perception or understanding.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Ethan Riley said:
Damn right she's sexy. I've had a thing for her since she played Wanda Ricketts on "Popular," 12 years ago. Hope Argo puts her onto the A list. It would be nice for this to be an Argo thread, not a Prometheus thread. Or whatever the heck people have been nagging about for several days... :(
I thought Duvall was very appealing in Carnivale. I'm not sure if that helps get the thread back on track or not. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks