What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Argo -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
MatthewA said:
What concerns me is the large number of people who want to throw out the past and everything in it, regardless of quality.
I tend to think that it's not much different than it was, say, 50 years ago though. I doubt that kids in the early 1960's were interested in silent movies any more than kids today are interested in black and white movies. Generally, kids have always liked what is new and aren't concerned with what is 'old'. It's a relatively small number of people who were there or people who like things from many different eras that remember the past.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by TravisR
I tend to think that it's not much different than it was, say, 50 years ago. I doubt that kids in the early 1960's were interested in silent movies any more than kids today are interested in black and white movies. Generally, kids have always liked what is new and aren't concerned with what is 'old'. It's a relatively small number of people who were there or people who like things from many different eras that remember the past.
Other than the Walt-era Disney animated films, kids don't watch the older films because they aren't aware of them. And considering how much of what is marketed to kids probably shouldn't be (that Oogieloves movie, had anyone bothered to see it, was probably some form of mind control, and would probably send the message that it's okay to talk in movie theaters).
Back then, there wasn't instant access to everything under the sun. There was TV (and old movies were staples of local TV stations' late night schedules for years because they were a cheap source of programming; remember The Late Late Show), but no home video and no Netflix. But there were also revival houses in many cities, and in the 1970s there was a huge wave of nostalgia for anything from the past; Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Little House on the Prairie, and The Waltons were all period pieces and all top-rated shows that are still in reruns today.
There are people who are ignorant about this older stuff because it just doesn't interest them. But there are others who are interested in what the past had to offer as much as the present. As a non-representative example, my sisters watched their favorite animated Disney movies, both old and new, over and over again. I never could get them interested in the "deep cuts" of Disney, at least not to the extent I was, but they had their tastes and I had mine.
Perhaps if we made rigorous music and art education mandatory in K-12 public schools, that would be a step in the right direction for the future. I had a very good music teacher in elementary school.
I still don't know what any of this has to do with the movie Argo.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
zoetmb said:
The "Other" films of 1939: We all remember "Gone With The Wind", "The Wizard of Oz", "Ninotchka", "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington", "The Women", "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" and others, but how many people would recognize these films of 1939, even the ones with big names or known characters (mainly the serials). I think that many would agree that many of these films were pretty bad, even if a few are still watched today. I would make the case that those that are still watched are viewed more for nostalgia than for the quality of the offering. Allegheny Uprising, starring Claire Trevor and John Wayne The Arizona Kid, starring Roy Rogers Ask a Policeman, starring Will Hay, Graham Moffatt and Moore Marriott – (GB) Bachelor Mother, starring Ginger Rogers and David Niven Bad Lands, starring Robert Barrat and Robert Coote Barricade, starring Alice Faye and Warner Baxter Blue Montana Skies, starring Gene Autrey The Bronze Buckaroo, starring Herb Jeffries Cheer Boys Cheer, starring Nova Pilbeam (GB) Everything Happens at Night, starring Sonja Henie and Ray Milland Fifth Ave Girl, starring Ginger Rogers and Walter Connolly First Love, starring Deanna Durbin and Robert Stack Five Came Back, directed by John Farrow, starring Lucille Ball and Chester Morris The Four Just Men, directed by Walter Forde (GB) The Girl from Mexico, starring Lupe Velez Heaven with a Barbed Wire Fence, starring Glenn Ford King of the Underworld, starring Humphrey Bogart and Kay Francis Maisie, starring Robert Young and Ann Sothern Man of Conquest, starring Richard Dix, Gail Patrick, Joan Fontaine Mexicali Rose, starring Gene Autry Midnight, starring Claudette Colbert and Don Ameche Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase, starring Bonita Granville Never Say Die, starring Martha Raye and Bob Hope On Borrowed Time, starring Lionel Barrymore and Cedric Hardwicke On Dress Parade, starring The Dead End Kids On Your Toes, screenplay by Lawrence Riley, starring Vera Zorina and Eddie Albert The Rains Came, starring Tyrone Power and Myrna Loy Range War, a Hopalong Cassidy western starring William Boyd Remember?, starring Greer Garson, Robert Taylor, Lew Ayres The Return of Doctor X, a horror film starring Humphrey Bogart Susannah of the Mounties, starring Shirley Temple and Randolph Scott These Glamour Girls, starring Lew Ayres, Lana Turner, Tom Brown They Made Me a Criminal, starring John Garfield They Shall Have Music, starring Jascha Heifetz, Joel McCrea, Andrea Leeds, Walter Brennan The Three Musketeers, starring Don Ameche and The Ritz Brothers Wyoming Outlaw, starring John Wayne, directed by George Sherman Young Man's Fancy, directed by Robert Stevenson, starring Anna Lee – (GB) Zenobia, directed by Gordon Douglas, starring Oliver Hardy Serials: Buck Rogers, starrng Buster Crabbe Dick Tracy's G-Men, starring Ralph Byrd Daredevils of the Red Circle, starring Herman Brix and Charles B. Middleton Flying G-Men The Lone Ranger Rides Again Mandrake the Magician, starring Warren Hull The Oregon Trail Overland with Kit Carson The Phantom Creeps, starring Bela Lugosi Scouts to the Rescue Zorro's Fighting Legion, starring Reed Hadley And I think that if we looked at the offerings in the 1950s, they'd be far worse, even though some film historians make the case that 1951, with the "African Queen", "Strangers On A Train", "An American In Paris", "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "The Day The Earth Stood Still" might have been the greatest year for films. There's a site, http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000.htm, which has compiled the "Best Of" lists from over 460 sources. In their list of the best 1000 films from 1902 to 2011, 1966 has the most films listed (23), although not necessarily with the highest rankings, but many of these are either obscure or forgotten (obviously this is an international list): ANDREI RUBLEV (Andrei Tarkovsky / USSR / 185m / Col BW) ▪22 PERSONA (Ingmar Bergman / Sweden / 81m / BW) ▪24 AU HASARD BALTHAZAR (Robert Bresson / France / 95m / BW) ▪33 BLOWUP (Michelangelo Antonioni / Italy, UK / 111m / Col) ▪120 GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, THE (Sergio Leone / Italy, Spain / 161m / Col) ▪150 MOUCHETTE (Robert Bresson / France / 80m / BW) ▪158 CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT (Orson Welles / Spain, Switzerland / 115m / BW) ▪181 TWO OR THREE THINGS I KNOW ABOUT HER (Jean Luc Godard / France / 95m / Col) ▪203 CHELSEA GIRLS (Andy Warhol / USA / 210m / ColBW) ▪302 CLOSELY WATCHED TRAINS (Jirí Menzel / Czechoslovakia / 89m / BW) ▪340 DAISIES (Vera Chytilová / Czechoslovakia / 76m / Col BW) ▪394 RISE TO POWER OF LOUIS XIV, THE (Roberto Rossellini / France / 100m / Col) ▪397 MASCULIN FEMININ (Jean Luc Godard / France, Sweden / 103m / BW) ▪556 BLACK GIRL (Ousmane Sembene / France, Senegal / 65m / Col BW) ▪601 WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? (Mike Nichols / USA / 129m / BW) ▪663 HAWKS AND THE SPARROWS, THE (Pier Paolo Pasolini / Italy / 88m / BW) ▪668 SEVEN WOMEN (John Ford / USA / 87m / Col) ▪703 CUL-DE SAC (Roman Polanski / UK / 111m / BW) ▪710 UNSERE AFRIKAREISE (Peter Kubelka / Austria / 13m / Col) ▪779 EL DORADO (Howard Hawks / USA / 126m / Col) ▪799 SECOND BREATH (Jean-Pierre Melville / France / 144m / BW) ▪855 COLLECTIONNEUSE, LA (Eric Rohmer / France / 88m / Col) ▪888 SECONDS (John Frankenheimer / USA / 106m / BW) ▪995
You missed Destry Rides Again and The Young Mr. Lincoln.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
MatthewA said:
Other than the Walt-era Disney animated films, kids don't watch the older films because they aren't aware of them. And considering how much of what is marketed to kids probably shouldn't be (that Oogieloves movie, had anyone bothered to see it, was probably some form of mind control, and would probably send the message that it's okay to talk in movie theaters). Back then, there wasn't instant access to everything under the sun. There was TV (and old movies were staples of local TV stations' late night schedules for years because they were a cheap source of programming; remember The Late Late Show), but no home video and no Netflix. But there were also revival houses in many cities, and in the 1970s there was a huge wave of nostalgia for anything from the past; Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Little House on the Prairie, and The Waltons were all period pieces and all top-rated shows that are still in reruns today. There are people who are ignorant about this older stuff because it just doesn't interest them. But there are others who are interested in what the past had to offer as much as the present. As a non-representative example, my sisters watched their favorite animated Disney movies, both old and new, over and over again. I never could get them interested in the "deep cuts" of Disney, at least not to the extent I was, but they had their tastes and I had mine. Perhaps if we made rigorous music and art education mandatory in K-12 public schools, that would be a step in the right direction for the future. I had a very good music teacher in elementary school. I still don't know what any of this has to do with the movie Argo.
This seems to have turned into something resembling the "While we wait for a few words about...Lawrence of Arabia" thread.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Lromero1396 said:
This seems to have turned into something resembling the "While we wait for a few words about...Lawrence of Arabia" thread.
I guess that's an improvement over a few words about Moonraker.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
TravisR said:
It also doesn't help that I think Ridley Scott is one of the most overrated directors in history. He's certainly got an amazing visual eye but he made two excellent movies (Alien and Blade Runner) more than three decades ago and he hasn't even come close to hitting the same heights ever again.
Now that, I agree with (and Blade Runner is my favorite film!).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TravisR
Hell, I'm sure even David Fincher would disagree with me. I love Alien but I think Zodiac is a masterpiece. It also doesn't help that I think Ridley Scott is one of the most overrated directors in history. He's certainly got an amazing visual eye but he made two excellent movies (Alien and Blade Runner) more than three decades ago and he hasn't even come close to hitting the same heights ever again.
Some think Gladiator is a great film. IMO, I consider Black Hawk Down a great film and Thelma and Louise close to being one.
Crawdaddy

RBlenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Blenheim
In my humble opinion, Ridley Scott is responsible for a number of great films: "Alien", "Blade Runner", "Thelma and Louise", "Gladiator", "Matchstick Men", and "Kingdom of Heaven" (uncut version), the latter, I think a masterpiece. Bob Blenheim PS: I forgot to name "Black Hawk Down", another great film by R. Scott.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Robert Crawford said:
Some think Gladiator is a great film.  IMO, I consider Black Hawk Down a great film and Thelma and Louise close to being one. Crawdaddy
I think Prometheus is a great film along with Gladiator and BHD. I also happen to love GI Jane. A critic once mused that a great film has at least 5 good scenes and no bad ones. That's my criteria.

RBlenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Blenheim
Although I really love Ridley Scott (and think even some of his misfires warrant cinematic attention), "G.I. Jane" is a mess. By the criteria by the 'critic' you name (actually it was director Howard Hawks who said it), the awful battle scenes in "G.I. Jane," with their inexplicable wiggling throughout, precludes that one, I think. I also think it would be hard to name even three good scenes in that one. I could name a dozen good scenes in most of Ridley Scott's great films I listed above.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Brett_M said:
I think Prometheus is a great film along with Gladiator and BHD. I also happen to love GI Jane. A critic once mused that a great film has at least 5 good scenes and no bad ones. That's my criteria.
It was Howard Hawks who said that a good movie (not great, just good) must have "Three good scenes, no bad ones." Prometheus has virtually nothing but bad scenes.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
TravisR said:
I tend to think that it's not much different than it was, say, 50 years ago though. I doubt that kids in the early 1960's were interested in silent movies any more than kids today are interested in black and white movies. Generally, kids have always liked what is new and aren't concerned with what is 'old'. It's a relatively small number of people who were there or people who like things from many different eras that remember the past.
In the 1950s and 60s, many older movies, including silents (although very scratched and shown at the wrong frame rates) were played on television. So baby boomers remembered many of those films, regardless of whether they liked them or not. The same is true of classic cartoons. Even as a child, I "knew" that those films were "old" and many seemed archaic, but we didn't have a lot of choices and watched anyway. But I wound up also hearing a lot of the really great music in those cartoons and that always stayed with me. And as Elaine once said to Jerry, "it's a shame that everything you know about culture comes from a Bugs Bunny cartoon." Elsewhere in the forum, there was some postings about RKO's "Million Dollar Movie" TV series. In the late 50s and early 60's, I saw King Kong, Son of Kong and Godzilla endless times on that show, but also La Strada and Citizen Kane. Kids wouldn't watch the equivalent of that today because they have so many more choices, so they don't have to but the limitations of the time actually caused me to make better choices. In the late 60s and especially in the early 70s, there was a new appreciation for older movies, especially the silent comedians, on college campuses. That's when we had the big revivals and re-examinations of the works of Chaplin and Keaton, among others. That's when I first saw Metropolis, Greed, Un Chien Andalu and many great other early films. But today, home video has pretty much killed off the revival theatre, places like New York's Film Forum notwithstanding. The difference today IMO isn't so much that kids aren't interested. It's that there's no respect for older culture in any sense. One of the things that having hundreds of TV channels and virtual media does is teach kids that the culture is disposable. So we watch or listen to something and we move on. On the other hand, movie producers like to reach back to older culture because it's recognizable and in fact, it's difficult to get financing for any movie that doesn't already have a pre-sold title. And so any name or character that a baby boomer can recognize is rebooted because the marketers know that either the baby boomer will see it themselves or they'll take their kids or grandkids to see it. And thus we have, for better or worse, all the comic book movies, a new generation of Star Wars films coming, the current Oz prequel, etc. The other issue is that a culture must be taught and most people don't bother - they'll let their kids listen to or watch almost anything, especially if it's a brand. But in the case of my own grandkids, they are taught and we have watched "The General" together and she will tell you that her favorite composers are Woody Guthrie, George Gershwin and Charles Ives. So it is possible to instill culture and we have to stop being lazy about it.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
JoshZ said:
It was Howard Hawks who said that a good movie (not great, just good) must have "Three good scenes, no bad ones." Prometheus has virtually nothing but bad scenes.
Howard Hawks -- of course! I think I remember Roger Ebert quoting him in one of his book collections of reviews. We can agree to disagree about Prometheus. And GI Jane.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
TravisR said:
…..Generally, kids have always liked what is new and aren't concerned with what is 'old'….
You know in a general sense I’m sure that is very true. But the ‘60’s and ‘70’s were a very different time period than now, with a lot more overall awareness of classic Hollywood in the public’s collective consciousness.
MatthewA said:
...Back then, there wasn't instant access to everything under the sun. There was TV (and old movies were staples of local TV stations' late night schedules for years because they were a cheap source of programming; remember The Late Late Show), but no home video and no Netflix.....
Matthew I think that’s the key. Old movies were all over TV. In 1979, for example, cable TV in my area meant you had your local affiliates, some stations from the nearest large city (in my case that was Boston) a few independent stations (the famous WOR) and if you wanted to pay for it, HBO. And that was it. Old movies were a great way of filling air time and you couldn’t change channel (rotating the dial) without going past one. Were kids “into” old movies? That depended on the young person. But kids were definitely aware of names like Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable, Boris Karloff, Bette Davis, etc whether they’d seen their work or not.
MatthewA said:
....But there were also revival houses in many cities.....
One old movie house in my area would present a lot of classics when not showing the latest independent film. My car would be packed with kids wanting to see an old movie the way it was meant to be seen, on the big screen. And these were not “film geeks” like me. Some were “jocks”, some were “freaks”, but whoever they were I never had trouble over filling my car for the trip to that theater. It was a time, shortly to end, when kids liked to be seen as knowledgeable and mature by the adults in their lives. Flash forward to the mid ‘80’s and, in a total reversal, adults would try and mimic “teen speak” in an effort to appear young and trendy.

RBlenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Blenheim
To say "Prometheus" has no good scenes, is a ludcrous and overwrought statement. Even if one doesn't like the total film, Scott's artistry gives us good scenes in even his bad films. It's such an overstatement that it reveals, respectfully, overreacting from one displaying his own personal bias against the film. I could name three great scenes in "Prometheus", but who cares? It's not going to make you like it any better, nor should it. You have a right to hold an opinion that dislikes the film, but let's quit the massive overstatement. Besides, when I name a few excellent scenes in a film that is not one of Scott's best (whether it's the opening scene of the alien humanoid plunging into the waterfall, Noomi Rapace's surgery scene, the last scene with the Alien making its appearance or whatever good scene one singles out), you'll just say they're bad scenes. Ridley Scott has no peer in designing visual sequences and building versimiltude in a science-fiction milieu. Even if the film has a weak plot and is a misfire. Okay, it's not a great film, and you don't like it. But it doesn't signify the fall of the art of film, or Scott's total incompetence. Bob Blenheim PS: I like the film. A lot. It's not "Alien" or "Blade Runner" but what is?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Do we have a difference in opinion here?
Of course, we've seen this argument beforehand in the Prometheus thread with vocal naysayers of the film against those like myself that thought it wasn't a bad film.
Crawdaddy

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
RBlenheim said:
To say "Prometheus" has no good scenes, is a ludcrous and overwrought statement. Even if one doesn't like the total film, Scott's artistry gives us good scenes in even his bad films. It's such an overstatement that it reveals, respectfully, overreacting from one displaying his own personal bias against the film. I could name three great scenes in "Prometheus", but who cares? It's not going to make you like it any better, nor should it. You have a right to hold an opinion that dislikes the film, but let's quit the massive overstatement.
I said the movie has "virtually nothing but bad scenes." As far as I'm concerned, the movie has one good scene, the part where David wanders around the ship alone at the beginning. Other parts of the movie may have striking visuals, but that doesn't make them good scenes. The guy in the rubber albino bodybuilder suit falling into the waterfall was laughable. The abortion scene was repugnant (and totally absurd on any sort of suspension-of-disbelief level). The last scene with the Xenomorph cameo felt tacked on and pointless, as all the obnoxious 'Alien' call-backs at the end of the movie did. Those are my opinions. You may have different opinions. Do I have a "personal bias against the film?" Only in that I went into it genuinely hoping to watch a good film, and instead sat through one of the worst pieces of crap I've seen in many, many years. So, yes, I have a personal bias against terrible movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by JoshZ
I said the movie has "virtually nothing but bad scenes."
As far as I'm concerned, the movie has one good scene, the part where David wanders around the ship alone at the beginning. Other parts of the movie may have striking visuals, but that doesn't make them good scenes. The guy in the rubber albino bodybuilder suit falling into the waterfall was laughable. The abortion scene was repugnant (and totally absurd on any sort of suspension-of-disbelief level). The last scene with the Xenomorph cameo felt tacked on and pointless, as all the obnoxious 'Alien' call-backs at the end of the movie did.
Those are my opinions. You may have different opinions. Do I have a "personal bias against the film?" Only in that I went into it genuinely hoping to watch a good film, and instead sat through one of the worst pieces of crap I've seen in many, many years. So, yes, I have a personal bias against terrible movies.
Just tell us what you really think about the film?
Crawdaddy

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
RBlenheim said:
To say "Prometheus" has no good scenes, is a ludcrous and overwrought statement.
That depends entirely upon your criteria for a scene. My interest in any scene extends as far as that scene supports an interesting and involving narrative, so for my purposes, Prometheus doesn't really have any "good" scenes. Without context, what are we even evaluating?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks