What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Angels & Demons -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I went into viewing Ron Howard's Angels & Demons, about to be released by Columbia / Sony with mixed feelings. I hadn't heard great things about it when it played theatrically, but acknowledged it to be a "must see" piece of entertainment.

146 minutes later (I viewed the extended cut), after following the twists and turns of the storyline, I came away pleased with time that I consider to be well spent. The film is a reasonably breathless chase around Rome and the Vatican, in search of clues to save the Holy City. As long as one doesn't seek reality and is along just for the cinematic ride, the film works beautifully.

One of the things that kept passing through my brain while viewing was the immensity of digital work there must have been in the production, and how transparent it appeared. As I haven't done research concerning the production, I have little idea what is real and what isn't, obviously beyond the interiors of the Sistine Chapel.

Columbia continues on a roll in releasing yet another perfect Blu-ray. While there's no reason why this one shouldn't be as it came from data, there is always that chance that someone, somewhere in the process, will turn the wrong knob. I continue to be pleased that all knobs are turned to the correct positions.

To aid in the overall quality, the studio has placed the extras on a second disc. Audio is umcompressed DTS-HD Master.

Angels & Demons outpaced my expectations as entertainment, and enters what is quickly becoming a crowded world of gorgeously rendered Blu-rays from Columbia / Sony.

As a side note, constant height viewers may not be pleased, as the subtitles occasionally fall into the lower matte area.

Recommended.

RAH

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Columbia is really something else and it only makes one wish they'd get to the classics - but if they're taking their sweet time doing them right, then they should take their sweet time. But oh boy can I not wait for things like The Big Heat, Bridge On The River Kwai, Guns Of Navarone, Picnic, and even more arcane stuff like Bye Bye Birdie, The Swimmer, and Bonjour Tristesse, not to mention the biggie - Lawrence. I didn't care for The Da Vinci Code very much, but I'll check out Angels and Demons if only to enjoy the transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks