What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ American Graffiti -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
American Graffiti, a late summer 1973 release is one of those films that remains ingrained in one's memory.

It's simply that good, and was a very pleasant surprise for those not knowing precisely what they were about to see.

Photographed in 2-perf 35mm (Techniscope), and released on dye transfer prints, for which the format was designed, original prints were neither overly grainy, nor problematic in any way. There were the occasional soft shots, whether simply shot that way, or from being field enlargements, but that was about it.

Universal's new Blu-ray of George Lucas' early teen masterpiece, looks precisely as I recall original prints as looking. This is a gorgeous Blu-ray, with both image and audio, DTS-MA 2-channel, perfectly rendered by what hopefully is a new ethic toward quality at Universal.

I'm seeing no problems whatsoever.

Extras,while not exhaustive, are well thought out and and nicely done, especially a series of screen tests.

Great film.

Great new Blu-ray.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Great to hear your input, Mr. Harris, after all the online slamming this one is taking. I haven't seen the BD yet, but look forward to it.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the vindication Robert. When I watched it I was like, "why are people complaining". This is the best I have ever seen the film and unfortunatly I never saw it on the big screen, this transfer is the next best thing.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Back on the Amazon shopping cart (it's come on and off about ten times while I've been trying to gather information on the video quality). Now that it has the RAH stamp of approval, it is on its way.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After finally getting around to view this BRD, I don't quite understand some others having misgivings about this disc as I thought it looked beautiful and sounded fine. I think most will be very happy with this BRD.

Crawdaddy

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

After finally getting around to view this BRD, I don't quite understand some others having misgivings about this disc as I thought it looked beautiful and sounded fine. I think most will be very happy with this BRD.

Crawdaddy

Yeah, but you guys are basing it on the subjective viewing of the actual disc, not the objective proof of internet screencaps. It's easy to miss the "hail size clumps" of grain that way.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Dave H

I still have never seen this movie (I'm 39). I'll have to check it out.

What's ironic about the film is that it takes place just ten years before the film came out. However, a lot of things happened between 1963 and 1973 which makes those ten years seem much greater as far as how society has changed in those ten years.

Crawdaddy

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

What's ironic about the film is that it takes place just ten years before the film came out. However, a lot of things happened between 1963 and 1973 which makes those ten years seem much greater as far as how society has changed in those ten years.

It's funny how ten years can be both a very short period and a long period of infinite change.

Ten years ago from now, the first iPod had yet to be introduced. Now, most of us walk around with an iPod or some similar device, frequently with phone, media and internet content in our back pocket. Not everyone had a computer ten years ago and even fewer had high speed internet; now we've all got Star Trek-level digital devices that are everywhere. Might not be the same as the leap from '63 to '73, but I'm still amazed by that whenever I stop for a moment to think about it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Josh Steinberg

It's funny how ten years can be both a very short period and a long period of infinite change.
It is funny and quite amazing if you think about it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the video commentary with George Lucas. That was a very nice feature. Lucas is informative, and some of his thoughts on the making of the film are straight from his heart. It almost felt like a 1 on 1 conversation with him. Very sincere.

This is shaping up to be one of my favorite Blu-Ray movies.

I'm currently in the market for projectors(for my dedicated home theater). I would love to see this on a 120" screen.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I can't wait to give this one a spin; it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Glad to know the Blu-ray is up to par, quality-wise.

As far as I'm concerned, American Graffiti is the best and most important teen flick of all time. And Lucas's best movie.

TheHutt

Agent
Real Name
Peter
The intro sequence on the BluRay is digitally altered on BR, isn't it? (like, a warm sunset added in the background, which was done for the DVD release)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Originally Posted by TheHutt

The intro sequence on the BluRay is digitally altered on BR, isn't it? (like, a warm sunset added in the background, which was done for the DVD release)

I'm sure that's the case, yes.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

Crawdaddy
The movie was set in the late summer of 1963 because that really ended the feel of the 1950s. The US completely changed after the assassination of President Kennedy through Watergate and the end of the US involvement in the Viet Nam War, which coincides with that 10 year period you refer to. IIRC, American Graffiti was actually filmed in 1971, but it took two years and the backing of Francis Ford Coppalla to get the film released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks