What's new

A few words about...™ All About Eve -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
ahollis said:
There is nothing better than glorious technicolor or crisp black and white projected on a screen with Carbon Arc light.  Done right it, it is the purest light there is.

Very true indeed. B&W also fares best with a nitrate print, acetate seems flatter.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I finally got around to watching this amazing film for the first time last night. Holy cow, I wish movies nowadays were half as intelligent, fiercely funny and stunningly acted as this. It was nice seeing the young Marilyn Monroe delivering spit-take zingers so effortlessly. I've associated Ann Baxter with The Ten Commandments for so long that I hardly recognized her as mousy Eve... at least initially, until the rat began to come out. Thelma Ritter could really throw down with the best of them. I just watched Pillow Talk recently and she was hilarious in it, taking all the best lines. Thelma absconded with the picture here as well. And Bette Davis... "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!" Indeed, in all the best possible ways.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Jonathan Perregaux /t/308469/a-few-words-about-all-about-eve-in-blu-ray/30#post_3927880
I finally got around to watching this amazing film for the first time last night. Holy cow, I wish movies nowadays were half as intelligent, fiercely funny and stunningly acted as this. It was nice seeing the young Marilyn Monroe delivering spit-take zingers so effortlessly. I've associated Ann Baxter with The Ten Commandments for so long that I hardly recognized her as mousy Eve... at least initially, until the rat began to come out. Thelma Ritter could really throw down with the best of them. I just watched Pillow Talk recently and she was hilarious in it, taking all the best lines. Thelma absconded with the picture here as well. And Bette Davis... "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!" Indeed, in all the best possible ways.

It's funny, but I watched it last Friday night for the zillionth time, and I can still find things that make me laugh or blink in amazement. It's simply one of those remarkable classics which only get better over time because they were so superb from the start. The quality is of such depth that there are endless delights to discover about it every time you watch it.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
MattH. said:
It's funny, but I watched it last Friday night for the zillionth time, and I can still find things that make me laugh or blink in amazement. It's simply one of those remarkable classics which only get better over time because they were so superb from the start. The quality is of such depth that there are endless delights to discover about it every time you watch it.
I just saw it a few months ago at the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto in 35mm. The audience there is amazing, everyone knows every nuance of this film.
Try to see it theatrically with a good audience, it adds immeasurably.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks