What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Alien Anthology -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I put my set up for sale. I should have gone with my gut instinct and just rented. Don't get me wrong, they look and sound fantastic for films of their age. But sadly, the sound and special effects are just too cheesy and out of date to really enjoy and are more of a distraction to me then anything else.

Alien: Resurrection looked and sounded the best just because it was the most recent of films. The other three really should have had the effects redone and new sound tracks, at least for the effects portions of the films.

I watched them all once, and enjoyed them, but don't ever see going back and watching them again.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Ron-P
I put my set up for sale. I should have gone with my gut instinct and just rented. Don't get me wrong, they look and sound fantastic for films of their age. But sadly, the sound and special effects are just too cheesy and out of date to really enjoy and are more of a distraction to me then anything else.

Alien: Resurrection looked and sounded the best just because it was the most recent of films. The other three really should have had the effects redone and new sound tracks, at least for the effects portions of the films.

I watched them all once, and enjoyed them, but don't ever see going back and watching them again.

Well I guess everyone's enti--- omg I'm going to... http://planetsmilies.net

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Ron-P

How much are you asking for the set? We're talking about the USA version, correct? Maybe we can split the diff so you keep the one you liked best -- and I won't need to burn it on my end.

_Man_

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hmmm I'm sure Ron was larking around, he just forgot to add a winky smiley at the end.

5c4ff0a1_Alien1979aa.JPG

doink

Auditioning
Real Name
scooter bolton
First post here....

RAH mentions problems with the Oppo 83 and this set.
Has it been resolved?
New FW from Oppo perhaps?

Britton

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by doink
First post here....

Has it been resolved?
I checked Oppo's website and the latest official release they have available is the one from May 5th, 2010. The latest beta is from August 24th. I've been checking every couple of days.

Here's the link for BDP83 FW:
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Support.aspx

doink

Auditioning
Real Name
scooter bolton
I have been checking as well.
I did try both Alien and Aliens in my Oppo and neither worked correctly (some kind of weird AR/zoom thing going on).
Fortunately, I have 3 other BD players.

The Panny BD35 works just fine (although it takes a long time to LOAD) with both disks.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by doink
First post here....

Has it been resolved?
There is a workaround for the zoom issue which can be used until Oppo delivers an updated FW:
"quickly popping back out to the main menu and playing the film again resets the scaling and the film plays perfectly and properly from then on."

Italo

Grip
Originally Posted by Britton
I checked Oppo's website and the latest official release they have available is the one from May 5th, 2010. The latest beta is from August 24th. I've been checking every couple of days.

Here's the link for BDP83 FW:
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Support.aspx
4 months and still beta testing FW doesn't augur well, Oppo have stopped manufacturing the BDP83 so we can only hope the firmware is still going to be updated.

doink

Auditioning
Real Name
scooter bolton
RickardL said:
so we can only hope the firmware is still going to be updated.
I have had Oppos for a long time and they have always been right there with FW updates.
Wouldn't be surprised to see an update soon....

Italo

Grip
I have had Oppos for a long time and they have always been right there with FW updates.
Wouldn't be surprised to see an update soon....

Yes I hope so. I've had players by Sony, Panasonic, Marantz, NAD, Pioneer and the OPPO 83 is head and shoulders above them all.

doink

Auditioning
Real Name
scooter bolton
Italo said:
Yes I hope so. I've had players by Sony, Panasonic, Marantz, NAD, Pioneer and the OPPO 83 is head and shoulders above them all.
In addition to the 83, I have 3 Panasonics: BD10, BD30, and BD35.
Panasonics have been bullet-proof...they just play.

Did watch Aliens last nite.
Very impressive, but Alien is more pleasing to my eye (a better DP?)
More balanced PQ, particularly with contrast and gray-scale.
Of course, YMMV.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I emailed OPPO about the Alien playback issue about 3 weeks back now - surprised they haven't done anything about it yet and upgraded their firmware. It used to be updated quite regularly.

Perhaps if more people mail them they might make it a priority.

John

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just listened to James Horner's original score for Aliens and I can see why they chose to make adjustments to it. It's not that the original score as a whole was bad (although one piece where the marines are getting ready to go to LV-426 was dropped sounds like it's from a different movie) but the music was used way too sparingly so the 're-edit' of the score utilizing the exciting cues more often definitely benefits the movie.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by TravisR
I just listened to James Horner's original score for Aliens and I can see why they chose to make adjustments to it. It's not that the original score as a whole was bad (although one piece where the marines are getting ready to go to LV-426 was dropped sounds like it's from a different movie) but the music was used way too sparingly so the 're-edit' of the score utilizing the exciting cues more often definitely benefits the movie.
I've had the deluxe CD release for Aliens that includes all of Horner's music for a few years now, so this was fun for me to watch to finally hear where it was all supposed to go in the movie. The piece of music you mention before the marines go to the planet is a great track by itself, but I agree that it doesn't even sound like it was written for Aliens. It sounds a lot more like the music Horner did for Star Trek 2 and 3. Also, one of the other bits that was cut out of the movie (the music that starts once the aliens cut the power) is a cue that is taken verbatim from Horner's score for 48 Hours.

AlexS2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alexander
The way the music is edited in the final cut of Aliens is fantastic imo. Ive always seen people get mad about how Cameron dealt with Horners score on forums dedicated to film music, but man, I can't agree at all.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
In a write-up, I noticed Alien Anthology has a documentary named "Alien Legacy." Can anyone confirm that this is the @ 66 minute behind-the-scenes documentary that was the mail--in-for fifth disc for the first four-film boxset - The Alien Legacy (if the names weren't confusing enough)?

Harrison Shinn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harrison Shinn
Yes. It's the same doco that was only available via mail when you purchased the ALIEN LEGACY boxset back in the '90's. I still have mine as well.

Cheers!
Harry

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Originally Posted by Harrison Shinn
Yes. It's the same doco that was only available via mail when you purchased the ALIEN LEGACY boxset back in the '90's. I still have mine as well.

Cheers!
Harry
Thanks for the info. I'm not that knowledgeable about what was ... but with the Ridley Scott solo commentary, the isolated scores etc. back in, it looks like Alien is pretty much loaded. Now, it gets down to whether to buy this anytime soon or wait two years until the price comes down to 29 bucks ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks