What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A River Runs Through It -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Redford's A River Runs Through it, based upon the novella by Norman MacLean, is one of those films that stays with you, even years after viewing. For full disclosure's sake, I'll let it be known that I occasionally fly fish. That said, those who have seen the film are aware that this isn't a sports film about fly fishing, but rather that fishing serves a very important purpose to the story line.

The film is beautifully crafted, with quality acting, direction, etc. But one of the less obvious "stars" of the film is the cinematography by Philippe Rousselot. It is Mr. Rousselot's work that serves as the visual spine of the film, and the audience is able to feast upon it. There are many films that can be neatly and relatively easily transferred and translated to Blu-ray. I don't believe that this is one of them. Exposures are delicate things, and coming up on a few shots that I remember well from past viewings, I waited with concern that they might not make the grade.

I'm pleased to report that ARRTI has been brought to Blu-ray with an even hand and a delicacy that allows it to make the transition from the theater screen to the home theater with superb clarity and perfection. Audio is rendered in Dolby True HD.

This is a gorgeous Blu-ray.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Thanks Mr. Harris

Had a chance to view "A River Runs Through It" (Blu-ray) last week and I have to agree that the story and the quality of the production had a powerful affect on me. It does stay with you and its been influencing my thoughts all week.

I'm sorry now that I saw it on my 32" HDTV after you mentioned the visual spine of the film was Philippe Rousselot's cinematography. I'll have to see it again for an encore viewing in my theater room next time I have a chance.

Thanks again for you sharing your knowledgeable thoughts on the film.

Paul

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
On December 3rd Capelight Pictures will release in Germany a 4K disc of the movie.

2-Disc Limited Collector's Edition in the Mediabook with the film in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision on a UHD Blu-ray as well as on Blu-ray and with 24-page booklet.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
On December 3rd Capelight Pictures will release in Germany a 4K disc of the movie.

2-Disc Limited Collector's Edition in the Mediabook with the film in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision on a UHD Blu-ray as well as on Blu-ray and with 24-page booklet.

I have purchased three Capelight UHDs. Showgirls was decidedly worse than the US blu-ray and their Oldboy was inferior to the Arrow UHD. Their track record in my experience isn't up to the standards of Koch or Turbine. I would wait for a review before purchasing.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
I have purchased three Capelight UHDs. Showgirls was decidedly worse than the US blu-ray and their Oldboy was inferior to the Arrow UHD. Their track record in my experience isn't up to the standards of Koch or Turbine. I would wait for a review before purchasing.
Capelights 4K of 'The Running Man' (Schwarzenegger) has got very good reviews so fingers crossed they also do a good job with ARRTI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks