What's new

A few thoughts about...WALK THE LINE (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

We agree about that Richard, and the link you provided offers excellent prices.
The 8 CD box "Classic Jerry Lee Lewis" contains about 10 hours of music. It covers Jerry's Sun Records career 1956-1963.
Everyone with any real interest in rock or country or the American Songbook should have this set.
It includes many unreleased cuts and some studio conversations that will curl your hair.
Lewis never recorded a song the same way twice and it's all (well, nearly all) essential.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I was suprised when I saw a commercial today saying this was coming to DVD the end of the month. Its seems fast. Looking foward to seeing it.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I thought that dennis quaid did a better job as jerry lee lewis in great balls of fire.

JACOB

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'll be watching in the next day or two. can't wait.

i never heard any of his music other then what ended up on popular radio.

is the song played during the promos for the new season of the shield Cash?

that song is deep.
starts... "i hurt myself today..."

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

That sounds like "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails, as performed by Johnny Cash on his American IV: The Man Comes Around album.

- Steve

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
why do you ask?
still has a feb 28th date in our system.

i have one right now that i picked up to watch.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Dear Chris Caine,

We would like to advise you that Walk The Line (Widescreen) currently in your order ID O324610 has now been officially cancelled or discontinued. This means effective immediately we can no longer obtain stock and are therefore removing this title from site. Consequently we will also be deleting from your active order.
We do apologize for this inconvenience.

Regards,
Customer Information Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------
DVD Pacific Inc.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
yes, but should be ok.
probably an error or UPC change.
the site still has it listed...will re-order.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Is there any input on the differences/advantages to the 2-disc version, yet?

I held off one the 1-disc this morning.

-Chad

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Chad, South Bend, aye? Me too!

1-Disc'er

DVD Features:
Available Subtitles: English, Spanish
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (DTS 5.1), French (Dolby Digital 2.1 Surround), Spanish (Dolby Digital 2.1 Surround)
Commentary by co-writer and director James Mangold
10 Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by James Mangold
Trailers: Love Me Tender Special Edition
Theatrical Trailer

2-Disc'er
DVD Features:
Available Subtitles: English, Spanish
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (DTS 5.1), Spanish (Dolby Digital 2.1 Surround), French (Dolby Digital 2.1 Surround)
Disc 1:
Widescreen Feature
Commentary by co-writer and director James Mangold
10 Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by James Mangold
Trailers: Love Me Tender Special Edition
Theatrical Trailer
Disc 2:
3 Extended Music Videos
"The Passion of MIB" featurette
"Walk The Line Comeback" featurette

Looks like 2 featurettes and 3 music videos are the only differences. Oh, and better coverart. :) Anyone notice a difference the film itself?

Hope this helps, www.dvdcompare.net may have a better analysis when some more people check it out.

Ryan

James@R

Second Unit

You also get the 'making of' that aired on CMT, and five postcards.

Not to mention, you are spared the shame of having to fight with those security stickers, and the "Should I keep it or toss it?" conundrum of that cardboard slipcover.

Personally, I opted for the 2-disc, mainly because I do prefer the cover art. But I also think this newest trend is just a way for companies to double-dip right out of the gate.

The extras are solid, but not enough to warrant the extra $10. Two or three years ago, the 2-disc would have been the only option- much like the new Dog Day Afternoon (which is only $5 more than the single disc Walk the Line).

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I have to say that this movie has some of the most disappointing DVD extras ever. The DTS track is probably the only thing keeping all this content off of a single disc because there's only roughly 90 minutes of extra material. As I type that, it doesn't look as insubstantial as it seemed while I watched it, but the extras are a really fluffy, EPK-style affair. Aside from roughly 20-30 minutes devoted to the deleted scenes, trailer, soundtrack spot and extended musical scenes, it's pretty much an hour of people talking about Cash, but none of it is really insightful, they pretty much just talk about how great he was. I didn't listen to the feature commentary or the commentary on the deleted scenes but they would have to cover a lot of the actual filmmaking process because that is covered NOWHERE in the rest of the extras.

I'm not saying that a biopic shouldn't feature bonus material that deals with the subject, but they could have put another two hours worth of more in-depth stuff on disc 2. As I sat there saying "that's it?" to myself, I started pressing random buttons on the DVD menu to find easter eggs because I almost couldn't believe that there was nothing left.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This is a special film to me because it's the first film I saw at the theater with my dad in almost 20 years. He's probably one of the biggest Cash authorities in the world and he said that he wouldn't miss the movie for anything, it was a real treat watching the film with him.

I loved the movie, although i'm not a huge fan of Cash, that's only because I heard him playing on a constant basis at our house growing up. Still, as an adult I can now listen to him subjectively and I like his music.

I'll be getting the 2 disc today. :emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I bought the 2-disc yesterday, and although I haven't watched the feature film yet (that'll be this weekend), I did check out some of the extras on disc 2. The extended musical sequences were great, especially "Jackson" which airs regularly on CMT. Aside frmo the music sequences, I checked out the "Folsom, Cash & The Comeback" featurette. I thought it was great, as people who worked at/resided in Folsom gave their insights. You are also given a tour of the cafeteria in which Cash performed. I thought it was really cool. My only gripe were the still photos. 99% of them weren't of Cash, but Joaquin Phoenix portraying Cash. It would've been nice to see some vintage photographs of Johnny Cash at Folsom. It just seemed surreal that it included grainy black & white photos of Phoenix instead, especially when they weren't even talking about the movie in that particular featurette. That's my $0.02 anyway.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The 2 disc is pretty steep for sure. I do love the cover art like many of you...decisions-decisions. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks