What's new

A few thoughts about.....Shrek The Third (HD-DVD) (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member

I meant the movie review. I'm sure there are a few people who buy movies for their PQ/AQ but I stopped that practice a long long time ago.

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed the movie while watching it. It felt really safe and did nothing new or interesting though. After leaving the theater less than a few hours later I had completely forgotten the movie.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
Having taken my kids to see this in the theater over the summer, I also agree. When the BOGO Blu sale was announced to counter the sales of the Shrek 3 HD DVD disc, I thought "Why?". As a new owner of an HD-DVD player, I would like nothing better than to buy a great looking animated feature that my kids would enjoy (and to showcase the player to friends and family), but I already wasted enough money on this movie in the theater.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
But guys, this just can't be, because it says "The Best Shrek Yet!" right there on the cover. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Thanks. I've been meaning to check that one out -- most of what I heard was "just OK," but it somehow managed to beat out two movies that I really love for the Best Animated Feature Oscar!

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I saw it theatrically (and now have the HD-DVD), and while I enjoyed it, it pales compared to the first movie (but is far more enjoyable than Shrek 2 IMO).

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
I must be missing something here. Did I miss the boat somewhere and somehow sleep through adults embracing animated children's movies and seriously commenting on the content from an adult's perspective.

I read one review (partly) of that Rat...movie and I couldn't stop laughing. To me it was like Roger Ebert reviewing a Daffy Duck carton...ridiculous!

I just can't believe that viewing these animated movies would be a pleasant experience for an adult given that the movies content is geared to a childs level of understanding.
Better to have children give these reviews.

Mr Scrooge

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Price plays a big part in this as well.

My local Target wanted $30 for the HD-DVD, vs. $15 for the WS DVD, with a bonus CD of movie music. I am an early adopter of HD-DVD, but $30 just does not work for me. A stellar HD transfer of one of a personal "A" List title...maybe...but not this one.

My Denon 3910 does nice things with SD DVD, and given the mediocre reviews of the film, it was not hard to buy the SD disc. Hopefully no one at Paramount/DW will look at the sales number for S3 in terms of evaluating their support for HD media.

Brian

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I wouldn't characterize the movies in question as "children's" films, specifically. Of what you mentioned, Warner's animated shorts were always pitched to a general audience, specifically including adults, and Ratatouille is definitely scripted with adults in mind. And the Shrek movies, I don't know if I would necessarily recommend to young children to begin with; they are clearly directed toward a teen audience.

But it's always been this way - just because something has a G rating doesn't mean it's written only for children and simpletons, nor does something being animated mean that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just because a movie is animated, I don't automatically close my mind to it. That's like saying "I don't like old movies because they're black and white". I've gotten to see great movies like Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Monsters, Inc., The Incredibles and Ratatouille because I didn't think animation = kids only.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Ditto. My wife and I have enjoyed animated movies for years. We now have a little girl who is almost two and I am looking forward to sharing many of these movies with her. Why shouldn't Ebert review these films? Many of them are examples of storytelling and entertainment at the highest level...but not Shrek the Third :).

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
I admit to a prejudice that I harbor towards animated movies....well, I did like Bambi...but that was when I was a child!
Now-a-days my tastes run to films with only human characters on the screen. Maybe, I just can't get beyond that "suspension of disbelief" barrier by merely watching animated characters. I saw "300" several months ago and because of the photographic style that resembled a video game could never "attach" to the movie. I actually preferred the old 300 Spartan movie as being more realistic.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
I have to agree. While I'm sure it looks great, I haven't seen the HD version of this because I have no plans to spend more money on this than I did taking my kids to see it theatrically.

How many times is the fairy tale joke supposed to work?
It should have been left at the initial outing. We're at the point that the sequels begin to tarnish the value of the first.

And the song and dance number at the end reeks of "suits" saying.."Hey that REALLY worked with the audience last time..WE NEED MORE!"

Just...enough.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
To each his own, and if you don't like animated movies, so be it. But please don't trot out the tired old generalization that all animation is for little kids. There are millions of adults who say you're wrong.

I'm way past 21, but I'll watch Shrek or The Incredibles or Ratatouille or The Iron Giant, or Disney classic animation a hundred times over before I'd ever waste my time on the most of the mindless drivel that passes for so-called "adult" fare these days. But that's just me.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Many of these cartoons, especially by Pixar, are made with adults in mind or as the primary audience, and the film is designed to be enjoyed by children as well, but the effect is still an adult-entertainment work.

The original Shrek was in no way a kids movie. Neither was the Simpsons movie. Neither was the South Park Movie.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
You apparently completely missed the boat as Ratatouille is easily one most endearing, well acted, wonderfully told and just plain sublime pieces of movie making released this year regardless of whether it's animated or not. I won't even bother touching on Iron Giant, The Invincibles, general Japanese anime etc. etc.

Ryan

Grip
Heck - even watching these new Looney Tunes sets I'm picking up on references that flew over my head as a child. I enjoy animation as an adult just as much as I did when I was a kid.

Back on topic though - I agree, Shrek 3 was a big disappointment.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

It might interest you to know that Roger Ebert HAS reviewed a Daffy Duck cartoon (Duck Amuck), even going so far as to put it in the Great Movies section of his rogerebert.com website along with What's Opera, Doc? and One Froggy Evening.

It's listed as "Chuck Jones: Three Cartoons." I'd post a link but I'm a newbie and haven't posted enough to include them :frowning: .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks