What's new

A few things that bother me...before I forget (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
News websites that force you to subscribe. What is the purpose of this??!?! Don't they realize there are hundreds of non-subscription sites out there with the same news?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Many websites that require a subscription (free or pay) have a print edition. They don't want to lose sales, so they want something (money or personal information) in return.

RichardK

Second Unit
Dentists that ask you questions while your mouth is full of whatever dentists use....i hate this.

The funny part is my best friend is my dentist and he does this to me because he knows i cant stand it. I have told him that it annoys me and for whatever reason he can't not do it...he gave me some lame bedside manner excuse...i dont care about your bedside manner, just give me the shot or the pill or the diagnosis or whatever it takes to get me out of there and fast.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I HATE people who use the office microwave to nuke leftover fish. That is just plain wrong.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"It's a bizarre habit and to be honest I think I've only noticed this with older people(ie. people over 40)."

Heheheh. One day you'll find out why they do it. And hopefully, some insensitive younger person will be there when you do, and be all impatient over your butt.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
People who respond to your misery by trying to top it

You know, when you are having a rough time and you are telling someone about it and the person (you're talking to) decides to interject with their misery...Why do they always try to make your pain sound less significant by telling a story about them that's even worse?

If somehow this is supposed to make you feel better :angry:

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Another eBay gripe: Karaoke versions of songs. Looking for a CD that contains a certain song and more than half of the things it finds are Karaoke CDs. Aaargh!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

Heh, I have an anecdote relating to this.
When I was 19 I lost my right hand in a work related accident. So, a few years later, my Mom's friend's boyfriend loses the tip of one of his fingers at the mill he worked at(and by tip, I mean barely to the end of the nail). Anyway, he was whining about it like his life was over so I just looked at him, held up my right arm, sans hand and said "Boo Hoo". He shut up pretty quickly. :D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I think this is usually people trying to relate to your experience, not "one up" you. True, it's generally poorly executed or just not necessary, but when it happens I try to see it as people trying (albeit feebly) to say, "You're not alone, I've been hurting like that too." If the experiences are similar then their intentions may be more obvious...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Richard, Yeah, I can see where that would be a good cause for a reality check for your Mom's friend's boyfriend, but I'm talking more about stuff like:

I just lost my grandmother last Thursday and when I tell people about how she died, they have to tell me about how they lost someone (years ago). Why can't they just keep their mouths shut? What are they expecting sympathy from me in return because they gave me sympathy?

Or, I told my girlfriend (this morning) that I was busy (which was the reason for me emailing her so late) and she had to try and top me by telling me how she had been there since 7:30am and she was weeks behind, etc.
That's SO true!

Ok, here's another gripe:
Trying to find info (from a search engine), only to get results from every J6P's site, message board, or online store.
I don't know how many times I've been trying to find out info on a particular DVD, and then having to weed through every DVD Online store that sells the DVD or sift through the numerous reviews out there. :angry:

Jim_F

Screenwriter
People at the head of a long supermarket checkout line, who divide their purchase into 2 or more groups and say "ring these up separately." The same folks seem to have the most time consuming methods of payment as well (e.g. food stamps + personal check + 3rd party check + lots of pennies, etc.)

Can it be that hard to read the receipt and divvy up the bill?

I am sooo thankful for self checkout.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
People at the front of the line who, when they get up to the register, find out that they picked up more than they can afford. They then begin ordering the cashier to subtract one thing at a time until they get to the amount they have in their pocket.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I hate it when artists lip-synch vocals that just could never be generated live on stage. For instance, remember Cher a few years ago, with "Believe". If you can't perform live, fine, but please re-record the track with more realistically sounding vocals for "live" performances.

I also hate the fact that (mostly) American press agencies are censoring horrible stuff for sexual content. I don't know exactly why, but I find it truly insulting that someone is providing graphic images of for instance torture, but chooses to blur genitals or breasts. What's the idea, to prevent people from getting sexually aroused?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Good Thread. Here are some of mine

People who call it an "ATM Machine" The "Machine" is already in there, that's what the "M" stands for. "I think I need to get some cash at the Automated Teller Machine Machine."

People who inappropriately use the word "Ironic" "We have the same birthday?! That's so Ironic!"

Wind Chill and Humidity. If the wind chill is going to make it seem like 10 degrees, then it's 10 degrees out. Ditto for humidity.

Also, I saw something last night that got me thinking about this again. Frivolous lawsuits that end up taking away things that were fun. This report I saw last night cited things like Diving boards and playground monkey bars being banned and some other stuff.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
My bitch:
People who say "oh" instead of "Zero" when referring to numbers eg; "OH FIVE" Honda civic.

ITS A NUMBER NOT A LETTER!!

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Just remembered another one:

Getting hair in my mouth

Argh I hate this and I have semi-shoulder length hair so I try to be careful. When it does happen I have to try and get it out as fast as possible. If I can't I drink a lot of water to hopefully wash it down. Yuck. It's so irritating when hair finds it's way into my mouth. Damn I think I have a hair in my mouth right now!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How do you pronounce: 90210?

Most would pronounce it: nine-oh-two-one-oh.

It'd sound weird as: nine-zero-two-one-zero.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Sorry but you are wrong. There is a difference between the two. I'm not going to bother trying to educate you on that difference but perhaps you should take it upon yourself to do a little self educating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks