What's new

A few things that bother me...before I forget (2 Viewers)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
In no particular order:

Dentists that insist on asking you questions after they've stuck the most equipment and dental tools in your mouth.

- "What do you do?" "So how have you been?" "When was the last time you had your teeth cleaned?"

Sometimes I just want to look at them with that "Are you kidding me?" look.

The term "Free" being used in advertising.

- When you purchase something, anything, the word "free" should not be used in conjunction with receiving a so-called additional option or device. The computer industry abuses the word "free" the most. "Get a free CD-Rom burner with your computer!" or "Get a free monitor!" etc.

Bottom line is that you're paying for it one way or another so using the word "free" when money is involved is insulting to my intelligence.

The encore routine at a live performance of a band/musical artist.

- A performer puts on a show and at the end the audience applauds and somehow this makes the performer walk off stage then back on again to perform some more.

This is perhaps one of the most forced things in life besides death and taxes. You live, you die and in between you pay taxes. But you also must endure those moments when you applaud for a musical artist at a show and they pretend that they somehow weren't expecting it? Hence, they return to the stage after walking off to perform some more. No doubt it's also a forced moment for the musician. "Oh no you shouldn't have...ok I'll play some more because you're applauding." Maybe I just don't understand(or respect) the tradition at live performances of musicians. Encores seem so cliche. Just for once I want to see the audience applaud at the end and the musicians don't actually return to the stage for an encore. End of the show, folks. Thanks for coming now go home.

Paying for air and water at gas stations.

- It used to be that you were able to get free(there's that word again) air for your tires and water for your radiator(or whatever else) at gas stations. Now, I don't recall exactly when, maybe in the early 90's, but at some point gas stations started charging for these things. First it was 25 cents but now it looms around 50 cents for air and water. That's a bit much isn't it? I mean we're not talking bottled water and the air is electrically generated if I'm not mistaken. It's getting out of hand.

Turning airplanes into flying gift shops.

- The flight attendant notifies passengers that they'll be walking down the aisles selling items featured in their airline magazine. When did the practice of trying to sell items aboard an airplane during flight begin? It could have been the 50's or 60's for all I know but I seem to have only noticed it in the new millennium. And perhaps it's just on long, overseas flights because I didn't notice this during domestic flights.

Looks it's fine to turn airports into malls that include a surprising number of bars. There's freedom of movement and little-to-no pressure. But to try to sell things to people who are essentially confined to a large flying metal pipe by flight attendants feels awkward. And forced(there's that word again). No I don't want to buy the cologne or the travel clock or the pen that can also tell time. Just let me try and enjoy this moment in the sky in which I'm in close proximity with many other people that perhaps haven't bathed recently or cough on my airplane food.

Advertising or claiming an item is below a certain price when in reality it's either 1 penny or 5 cents below that price.

- The salesman on the commercial pitches his item as being under 100 dollars. Guess how much it really is? That's right: 99 dollars and 99 cents.

"Get all this and more for under 20 dollars!" The item costs $19.99 so technically, yes, it is under 20 dollars. But that's like your doctor telling you that you're dying even though you have no serious health issues. Sure technically we're all moving towards the grave one way or another but.. ok perhaps that was the wrong analogy, a bit extreme. Here perhaps is a better one: you get married and your wife or husband tells you that you're getting sex for free. :D

I'm sure there are more things that bother me but I'll have to post them when I can remember exactly what they are. ;)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

My favorites are the artists that do the whole "thank you, goodnight... oh ok, one more!" routine before they've played the signature songs everyone knows are coming. Freddie Mercury would invariably walk off stage thanking the crowd and then come back for the We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions combo, surprising a grand total of no one. Look, everyone knows you're gonna do it. And it's ok, it's part of the show by now. But at least make the encore cool by playing an obscure song from your catalog, or a cool cover. Oasis is great at this.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I don't know about water, but just the other day, I got free air at an Exxon station, and the pump also measured the tire pressure as it filled up. Granted, I have been at a gas station where I had to pay for the air, but free air is still available, it depends on the region and location.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Even though I suspect this list was created more for humor then anything else after reading the various complaints, if these are the things that really bother you enough to write about then I think the only proper response is:

GET A LIFE!

These items are as trivial in nature as things can get so as an outside observer I would say you have nothing to worry about in life.

Happy New Year to all and here is hoping that no real problems develop for you and yours in the New Year.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
True, but it's fun to rant. And it's Gary->dee - he's always fun for a nice rant on these types of things. :D

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator

The explanation I was given a long time ago is back in the day, gas stations were "service stations." They had a mechanic on duty or available, at least one service bay, AND pneumatic tools. Those tools required pressurized air, and it was no big deal to run a hose to the lot for tires.

Now that we have "evolved" to the pay-at-the-pump-self-service-qwiky-mart-but-God-help-you-if-you-have-a-real-problem "GAS STATIONS," they no longer have a compressor in the back room so they have to pay for that neat little coin-op pump in the lot; ergo, so do we.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I have been to a few concerts where the group didn't come back. It sucked royally! You just wait, and wait, and wait, and then everyone get disgusted and leaves.

As for the free air, I understand that the compressor costs money, and the hose and nozzle could get abused (I won't go into that one either!) :) - but with the price of gas what it is, you'd think that they wouldn't be THAT cheap!

Glenn

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Glenn, my girlfriend does accounting for a lot of gas stations in New England and she says it's a real misnomer about what we think the profit is from gas stations.

She says they are lucky if they make $0.01 per gallon in profit. The money they DO make, comes from their convenience items (Cigarettes being practically #1)

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
Many many years ago ('76, I think) the college I was at would have Thursday dinner 'on the lawn' during the summer. And they would always have some sort of entertainment. One week, the Dallas Symphony Orchestra (or a smaller travelling version of it) came and played a concert. After the last song we all stood and applauded and applauded until the director shushed us and said,
"We would love to do an encore, but what do you play after The Stars and Stripes Forever? Thank you very much and have a good night." And that was that. But quite appropriate. What DO you play after that?

Bond. Paul Bond.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I also think encores are totally contrived-and I'm a musician!

The only thing I can think of is it's a way for the peformers to take a minute, get a drink or a smoke or whatever their poison of choice is, and come back and play a couple more. Personally I'd prefer a show that leads up to an awesome grand finale and then that's it. But then again I'd be happy to see artists play my favorite records beginning to end, so I'm weird. :)

A true encore is nice, like when you're playing a club for the first time and no one knows you, but I think it's safe to say EVERYONE at the U2 concert wants them to keep playing...

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy

Exactly what I was thinking of. BMG did the normal wave and walk off, and then suddenly, silently, the following appears briefly on the screen

ROCK CONCERT MOVEMENT #78 - THE FAKE ENDING

As a matter of fact, I was listening to BMG when I typed this!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I have been to one concert in my entire life when the musician said she wasn't going to do an encore and would just play the "extra" songs and say goodnight. Sam Phillips. Check her out at www.samphillipsmusic.com

John Chow

Second Unit
I was at a solo guitar performance by Christopher Parkening. After the last song and everyone was applauding, he came back out and said he wasn't going to do an encore because for the last song he had specially tuned his guitar and he didn't want to tune it back :p)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The most ironic part of the "encore" is when they play their most popular song as an encore.

Are we supposed to believe that they FORGOT to play this song during the corse of the concert, walked off stage, heard the crowd applauding, then said to each other "Oh no! We forgot to play (insert popular song title here)" and rush back out to play it? :laugh:

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I hate to say it but John Williams is a frequent abuser of the encore tradition. Guaranteed almost every show that no matter what the program is, at the end the audience will applaud and he leaves the stage only to return a moment later to conduct his popular themes from Star Wars, Raiders, and E.T. What I think would be really funny is if along with Williams, the entire orchestra walks off with him with their instruments and they all start to gradually return for the obligatory John Williams encore. Sure it would take a while for the entire orchestra to be seated again but it would be a hoot. :D

I also hate to admit that I actually walked out one year while he was at the Hollywood Bowl during his Raiders encore routine. I think I told myself this is some good music to leave to(like the closing credits to the movie) on an upbeat note with the Raiders march playing in the background as I make my exit.

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
It's weird, I hate the whole fake encore charade but feel oddly cheated if a band doesn't do one.

The one exception was Brian Wilson's recent SMiLE tour. After Love & Mercy, he stammered something to the effect of 'that's it, goodnight'. And somehow it seemed a perfect ending.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
The band I used to play in, over a period of close to ten years played just one encore. We hated them and the idea of doing them, but the one time was warranted because the crowd would not shut up so after close to ten minutes we decided to go back up and play some stuff off of our older CDs. It was horrible because we had not rehearsed the songs in years but it was fun. We were even taking requests. :D

I think it's the worst when bands save their best songs for the encore.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I just remembered another one.

People that talk with their eyes closed.

- Some people, while they're talking, have a tendancy to close their eyes as they talk. As if they're trying to either remember or muster up the strength to speak.

It's a bizarre habit and to be honest I think I've only noticed this with older people(ie. people over 40). I don't think I've noticed this habit with younger folks. For example the last job I worked at, there was this lady who probably was between 40-45 years old. Sometimes when she would talk she would close her eyes. I felt compelled to wave my hand in front of her eyes while they were shut or make a loud noise so she might snap out of her meditative talking trance.

Maybe it's related to stress. Perhaps some people can't speak with their eyes open at the same time during times of stress. I don't know. But what I do know is that it bothers the shit out of me because, for whatever, it suggests to me that the person wants to forget the world around them as they speak. I guess I'm very much an eye-to-eye person when talking to people so closing my eyes would be strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks